Aliphatic v Epoxy

DaveyP

A question that's been bothering me for a little while.

Why is it aliphatic is advertised and recognised as being stronger than the wood it sticks but epoxy is widely recommended for glueing firewalls, undercarriage fixings etc. ?

Confused of Dorset.

Advert

Do a it of an experiment. Let a mound of wood glue go off next to a mound of epoxy. See which one is harder to get off the wood.

To be honest...I don't know but epoxy is great stuff BUT it is heavy, hard to wipe away off wood and doesn't sand off well. It makes an excellent job of fuel proofing a firewall and engine bay,a llittle applied heat and it will run into every corner of your plane. When 2 part is mixed with meths it will stay runny for longer and allow more work time ( useful if applying to fuel proof a tank bay and firewall ).

Post Script....found some interesting scribblings HERE

Edited By cymaz on 09/04/2017 18:27:25

Lots of differences Davy, in the two glues, and I will miss something that someone can add.

Epoxy is very strong, but very heavy, and would make a very expensive build, if used throughout, as well as a very heavy model

Aliphatic is a resin too, but can be sanded, is very strong as it penetrates the pores in the wood too, and is lighter

Both have a place in a build

Ah, Cymaz beat me to it

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/04/2017 18:29:58

Posted by Denis Watkins on 09/04/2017 18:29:08:

Lots of differences Davy, in the two glues, and I will miss something that someone can add.

Epoxy is very strong, but very heavy, and would make a very expensive build, if used throughout, as well as a very heavy model

Aliphatic is a resin too, but can be sanded, is very strong as it penetrates the pores in the wood too, and is lighter

Both have a place in a build

Ah, Cymaz beat me to it

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/04/2017 18:29:58

yes but why not use Aliphatic on a fire wall and save some money by not buying any epoxy?