spektrum DX7 gen2

Bing

I recently bought a new DX7 gen2 Transmitter and have been using it for a couple of months but have found that when setting up controls on aircraft suddenly it will not switch on, this is after a flying after an hour or so. I've checked the alarms are on for low battery but receive no notification from transmitter that the battery is low and when recharged it operates perfectly is this (normal)?.

learnt a hard lesson today when trannie failed when aircraft in flight, aircraft a total loss, lipo burst into flames and burnt out the wreckage. It happened when the trannie screen went blank during the flight and I lost control will investigate further and try to discover what happened.

It is easy looking now afterwards that the battery/power supply connection had highlighted itself earlier and you know that.

By all means check the battery, but where others would work on the pack, I would replace it double quick.

It is devastating when your main link let's you down, and now research the manual for the alarm setting

Oh dear, hard lesson indeed.

Did you think you had found the problem before using the transmitter again as I didn't think of advising not use it until the cause was found.

I got away with very minor damage on a large expensive model last year which seemed to suffer complete control/power failure after a low pass and dipped straight into the deck, it didn't remain in the air long enough to be sure if I had any form of control. I could not determine if the Rx had unbound, BEC stopped supplying power, ESC hiccupped or an odd range issue, all worked OK afterwards but I could not contemplate flying the model again not knowing the cause so the ESC and Rx were replaced as a matter of course.

The ESC was scrapped and the Rx subsequently installed in a small fun foamie after it passed stringent range tests.

Edited By Devcon1 on 19/04/2017 11:14:37

Posted by Bing on 19/04/2017 09:37:47:

learnt a hard lesson today when trannie failed when aircraft in flight, aircraft a total loss, lipo burst into flames and burnt out the wreckage. It happened when the trannie screen went blank during the flight and I lost control will investigate further and try to discover what happened.

So let me get this clear... You had a TX that randomly switches off, but decided to go flying with it again without troubleshooting the issue?

Edited By MattyB on 19/04/2017 11:43:48

just tried to switch on trannie at home still not working so connected to charger and it immediately came on showing 7.4 v then dropped to 7.2 after switching charger off. All limits were set but nothing was observed during flight and there was two of us there.

Bing,

When I mentioned in my earlier post

"Did you think you had found the problem before using the transmitter again as I didn't think of advising not use it until the cause was found".

I assumed you would not attempt to risk a model using that transmitter until the problem was identified, it does sound simply like the battery is duff and a new one needs to be bought, fitted and tested.

Check the new battery fitted matches what you tell the transmitter is installed and the correct alarm levels. I've never had a Tx battery fail that way so not sure how The DX7 behaves when the lower end of voltages are reached.

We all live and learn.

Don't know much about the DX7 gen2, but I have a DX8 gen1. This can run off a 4.8V NiMh (which mine does) or a 7.4V LiPo. You set the battery type and low voltage warnings in the menus. The charger electronics are built into the Tx.

I'm guessing that yours is a LiPo battery from the voltages you mention. Is everything set up for LiPo? You should check the LiPo independently from the Tx.

Bing

I would suggest taking the set back to your supplier,or if bought at distance to get in touch with them . There is clearly an issue with either the battery or the charger.As you can see from my above post your start voltage should be at least 1v higher, irrespective of how low the TX can tolerate.Please don't fly with this set again until the issue is resolved.

Best regards

Andrew

You need to find what actually caused the problem before using this Tx for another flight so the best idea would be to send the Tx and remains of Rx back to the dealer or Horizon . Horizon have in the past repaired or replaced faulty items despite being out of warranty - also don't forget your rights under consumer legislation may mean the goods should work for longer than just a year. So well worth trying especially as it wrecked a model ( sending it with a photo of the damage might help! )

Unless you can find the cause and are certain it works perfectly scrap the Tx before it wrecks some other model or even worse causes injury