Identifying Laser Engines

Posted by SR 71 on 11/03/2020 23:25:31:

Now thats what i wanted to hearsmiley so the next question are there any 360s available anywhere

Alas no, at least not new. I am working on a return for the twins as single cylinder stocks are just about under control but if sales pick up as i expect them to once it stops raining then the twins might fall away as i try to keep the singles on the shelves. It all depends on how much support i get.

As a side note, could we kick the engine size related chat over to the technical thread as this one is intended for identifying nameless wonders

Martin.

I wasn't "having a go" at you, or anyone in particular. I was just trying to point out that many (possibly most) of the hobby manufacturers (not distributors) in this country operate on minimal (if any) profit margins, unless they are a side business to something more profitable, or a hobby in themselves.

With regards to Laser engines, I like everybody else, would like to see them more available. However, if you consider all the factors doubling the price would not make a huge difference to profitability of the company. As a calculated guess I would suggest that to make the product more "interesting" to the main company that the figure would need to be about four times the current price and then you would also have to look at long term viability and the development costs looking forward.

We must remember that if it wasn't for Jon and others like him with a passion for our hobby, then we would be totally reliant on products coming from countries with far cheaper manufacturing costs (if we aren't already).

• 7 months later...
Posted by robert chamberlain on 12/11/2020 03:49:46:

So,-----I am still confused on Laser identification. Just what do the model numbers mean? If I see an add for 180 it means nothing to me. What is it referring to?

Cymaz has it right. All glow engines since forever have their capacities given in cubic inch. Petrol, for some reason, have theirs given in cc. So a 25cc petrol and a 155 glow are the same size more or less in terms of capacity.

In basic terms, a 60 is 10ccc, a 90 15cc, a 120 20cc, 180/200 is around 30cc etc.

In the past model diesels would often be sized in cc like the AM10 at 1cc, AM15 at 1.5cc, PAW149 at 1.49cc...