Identifying Laser Engines

I can take photos of the disco motors if you like. I have a pile of dead ones at work

And yes, even a laser engine can be killed. Most of these are over  25 years old though so we won't hold it against them 

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 29/04/2017 19:21:17

• 1 year later...

here's the link to the dimensioned drawings

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 03/09/2015 20:00:46:

"Over the years of its manufacture the laser 100 has had 3 different carbs and 5 different variants. I have detailed these below to help with identification.

1992-1995 (ish). super tigre carb (silver body and heavy brass needle) with square wedge shaped rocker cover retained by a single central screw and a cylinder with parallel fins. 4ba screws to hold it together and a 5/16x24 unf crank thread. Most of these engines have chrome/brass liners.

1995-1999. as above but with Irvine carburettor which can be either purple or black with a small brass needle with a little wire on the end of it.

1999-2005/6. (ish) the newer shape with rounded rocker cover held by two screws. The cylinder finning went barrel shaped, the screws went M4 and the crankshaft M8x1.25. These again have the purple/black Irvine carb.

2005/6-2012. as above but fitted with the Laser carb. This was a development of the Irvine carb with better materials and hardened barrel/screw to prevent the wear that was so common on the Irvine carbs. The laser carb also has no ratchet but instead uses a compression spring to keep the needle in place. At some point a longer crankshaft crept in as well to help out with spinner mounting issues

2012-current. updated crankcase and cylinder head. Mostly cosmetic upgrades but a few tweaks to the porting. Still fitted with our own carb.

I hope this is helpful. Also have a look on the mounting lugs as the year of mfr is stamped on it. It might be in code ie, a single N or J all on its own. These letters ran with uk car reg letters so an L for example is 1993. We then switched (at some point) to a single number, so a 1995-1999 series engine with a single 7 stamped on it was from 1997. Then, it changed to 01 02 03 etc as you would expect and today we still do the same with J15 stamped on engines as they leave. J is me as I built it and 15 is the year"

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/01/2019 16:08:12

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's nearly half as much again as I paid for mine a couple of years ago when I collected it fresh from Jon's assembly bench. Time to show this to the boss, Jon?

From the other stuff on sale by the seller, it looks like someone's selling off a former modeller's engine collection.

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/01/2020 15:56:27

Posted by Martin Harris on 27/01/2020 15:49:53:

It's nearly half as much again as I paid for mine a couple of years ago when I collected it fresh from Jon's assembly bench. Time to show this to the boss, Jon?

From the other stuff on sale by the seller, it looks like someone's selling off a former modeller's engine collection.

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/01/2020 15:56:27

Yea he suggested we should double all our prices if that is what people will pay.

Im not sure that is the answer you were looking for.

He won't make much money by doubling the price of something you're unable to manufacture at the moment!

Without wishing to pry too deeply, I have to assume that your current prices are returning a profit so there must be a balance point somewhere between marketing great quality and well deigned products and selling them at a reasonable price which will attract buyers wishing to use them, rather than collect engines as investments.

• 1 month later...

I have a scratch built 1/3 scale Bucker Jungmiester that i had a DLE 55 in when i lived in Cyprus, i flat packed the model to ship it to England when i left the warm dry island for this cold wet one, the club iv just joined have an 82 db limit so ill need a new engine for it, it weighs around 16lbs ( i think if my very old memory serve me correct, ) what cc is the largest Laser engine and would it fly it, bearing in mind its a very aerobatic model

Thanks Tony

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 28/01/2020 10:26:43:
Posted by Martin Harris on 28/01/2020 10:19:39:

I have to assume that your current prices are returning a profit

Ha! thanks for that, i needed a laugh.

Why do people assume that because you have a good product, well made and at an acceptable price, that you are making a good profit ? Laser Engines, like many others is a "hobby business". That is that it relies on cheap labour (Jon) and the use of equipment that is part of a bigger company. They probably don't employ staff outright and most of the overheads are already covered by the main company, which has more important priorities. There are many such businesses happily supplying to customers who have similar interests in other hobbies. The biggest problem that they all have is that they are restricted in manufacturing capacity. Unfortunately Jon cannot expand his business as it doesn't justify the necessary investment in time and capital, long term. So we just have to be patient (or hope he has a big lottery win). Somebody once asked the owner of Flair products how to make a small fortune out of making model kits. His reply was "start with a large one" !

At 16lbs it would fly on 30cc. My stampe weighs that and its over powered by the 180. That said, a 1/3 jungie is a bigger aircraft and if you want to get close to dle55 power then you need a 360v which is our biggest at 58cc.

If memory serves a dle55 will throw a 23x8 at about 6500rpm? If so our 360 will be a close match as i have tested 24x8 (6300) and 22x8 (7000) on them before. I fly a 80 inch 23lb Sea Fury using a 360 and its got a 21x10 prop running around 7000 if memory serves. I have no shortage of power with that setup.

Posted by kevin b on 11/03/2020 21:54:55:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 28/01/2020 10:26:43:
Posted by Martin Harris on 28/01/2020 10:19:39:

I have to assume that your current prices are returning a profit

Ha! thanks for that, i needed a laugh.

Why do people assume that because you have a good product, well made and at an acceptable price, that you are making a good profit ? Laser Engines, like many others is a "hobby business". That is that it relies on cheap labour (Jon) and the use of equipment that is part of a bigger company. They probably don't employ staff outright and most of the overheads are already covered by the main company, which has more important priorities. There are many such businesses happily supplying to customers who have similar interests in other hobbies. The biggest problem that they all have is that they are restricted in manufacturing capacity. Unfortunately Jon cannot expand his business as it doesn't justify the necessary investment in time and capital, long term. So we just have to be patient (or hope he has a big lottery win). Somebody once asked the owner of Flair products how to make a small fortune out of making model kits. His reply was "start with a large one" !

Taken a bit out of context Kevin. The point I was trying to make was that there is a market for, in particular, the twins and that it could be worth bringing the inflated prices to the boss's attention - who came back with the comment that he should perhaps double the prices! My observation was that I assumed that the business still made sense at the prices charged and I certainly wasn't suggesting that there was any large profit - which is none of my business anyway and I did state that I didn't wish to pry into that aspect.