Glow plug helicoil kit

Mr.B.

Does any body know where I can get hold of a helicoil kit for glow plug thread? I think this is 1/4 x 32.

Although having ones helicopter shoot glow plugs out is entertaining at first it soon becomes tiresome.

The thread looks and feels OK. But with the plug nipped up as normal is soon becomes loose. Yes, the coppper washer is in place.

I will try and find the chap for you who does a permanent repair

Not a helicoil, which will leak as most of our motors are made of very soft material which cannot support the helicoil.

I will post as soon as I find his details again

In the meantime, clean both plug and head threads of all oil, using petrol or cellulose thinner, as any trace of oil distorts the torque feeling and actual, that is needed for tightening to a seal,

Posted by Denis Watkins on 29/04/2017 21:45:18:

Not a helicoil, which will leak as most of our motors are made of very soft material which cannot support the helicoil.

I'm intrigued by your post Denis, if the original metal is strong enough to support the glowplug, why isn't it strong enough to support a helicoil insert? After all, the O/D of the insert is significantly larger than the original 1/4" thread, so there's more metal around it to support the insert than there was to support the original plug. In my industry, it's standard practice to fit helicoil type inserts into aluminium alloy at the manufacturing stage as it's recognised to give a much stronger thread than tapping the finished size directly into the parent metal.

I can thoroughly recommend Peter , his service is first class and the cost extremely reasonable. I had partial thread damage and didn't need an insert , he sent internal pictures of the head & thread and even test ran the engine for me , first class.

**LINK**

Posted by Justin K. on 30/04/2017 06:58:33:

I can thoroughly recommend Peter , his service is first class and the cost extremely reasonable. I had partial thread damage and didn't need an insert , he sent internal pictures of the head & thread and even test ran the engine for me , first class.

**LINK**

I agree. I had the plug thread strip on an OS FS48 Surpass.I sent the head to Peter, Job done by return. If you send the complete engine you get it cleaned and bench tested for very little more. I don't know how he does it.

Just brilliant!!

Well, having baulk at the cost of a helicoil kit (£70 +vat) I packed the head off to Peter V, and everything you have said about him is true. I posted it off on Tuesday and it's back on the Heli now. Top man. All for 15 quid.