An idle question for a windy Monday

Here’s an idle thought for a windy Monday.

The other day I heard a club member describe his Flair Magnatilla as “Semi-Scale”. Now to me, for a model to be described in that way it would have to be based on an actual prototype. The Magnatilla, being a shoulder wing monoplane with a circular cowl, has the flavour of a Fokker Eindecker but the shape of the fuselage and tail bear no resemblance to any actual aircraft. So what do you call such types that are "in the style of" but not scale?

You could ask the same question of many of Peter Miller designs. His Miss Lizzy evokes the spirit of Golden Age racing aircraft but is a completely unique design. I don’t like the term "Comic Scale", but I’m sure somebody in the hobby has come up with a suitable term.

Maybe this is a dumb question but it got me thinking.

Advert

As far as I am concerned semi scale is a scale model that is reconisable but may have been stretched in places For example, Jezebel is scale but the wing has been stretched to give more wing area,

Then Sport Scale is much more accurate but with slight simplification in some areas.

Cartoon scale is something like a Magnatilla with the outlines corrected to a recogniseable shape.

Miss Lizzy was not ever meant to be scale and the nearest one could come would be "Inspired by"

Posted by MattyB on 22/05/2017 12:23:06:

It is just a sports model; semi scale means based on a full size prototype, but with departures to improve handling and performance, and/or ease building.

Exactly!

Perhaps also encompassing 'stand-off scale' where the the departures are not apparent from a short distance.

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 22/05/2017 15:42:20:
Posted by Braddock, VC on 22/05/2017 12:30:54:

Does it matter? His plane, his title.

Exactly. What is the obsession with categorising everything to the nth degree on this forum?

I said it was an idle question, far from an obsession.