Taranis x9d plus Transmitter

Phil Harman

I have programed my S6R receiver as per the instruction and when tested with power and a servo attached the 3 axis works correctly. However when I switch on my Taranis though the receiver is bound and operates the surfaces the stabilisation doesn't work. Anybody know why?

Advert

Phil, for me, the instructions provided with the receiver are next to useless - but that's me, daft as a brush. There are 2 very useful threads here on the S6R. Start by reading through them and, if you're still stuck, get googling. My main problem was getting the S6R configured but, since you appear to have done that, I would say you are nearly there. The rest is the transmitter and OpenTX.

As far as I am aware, you need to activate channels 9, 10, 11, and 12 or the S6R will not behave. 9 is the gain control: 10 and 11 are used to select between the 4 different modes: 12 is used for the self-check routine. Even if you do not intend to use all the functions you still need to allocate the channels - I think.

You not only need to program the channels in OpenTX, but also change to 16 channels on the OpenTX model setup page. It normally defaults to 8 channels. Screenshot below shows the Companion settings for the internal radio.

Read next month's RCM&E. wink

s6r opentx.jpg

Edited By Andy48 on 24/05/2017 17:44:53

I activated channels 9, 10, 11,and 12. Thank god it works. Can someone tell me how the self check routine on channel 12 works. I have this selected on switch SH and when selected it doesn't appear to do anything. Also when selecting Auto level, the rudder will not respond to yaw unless I turn up S1 Gain. apart from that the switches give me control on Knife edge, Hover and Auto level. Stabalization doesn't seem to do anything.

Channel 10 I have on Switch SD

Channel 11 is on Switch SC . Could the problem be because I haven't connected the TX to the Open TX program yet

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and read the instructions that come with the receiver carefully. Its not easy to describe the full setup and program on a forum like this. Also it is impossible to understand how you've programmed your transmitter without seeing a printout of the code. There are quite a few pitfalls along the way.

I don't understand why you are worried about using the computer program. Which computer program?

Hi Andy just downloaded open TX but feel a bit reluctant to connect it to my TX because I don't want to interfere with the current software as I might make a mistake and cock it up. I merely programmed the transmitter by activating channels 9,10,11,12 as per the S6R receiver instructions. Other than changing the values of the output neutral positions I can't see what the advantages are of using the Open TX program. It was fairly easy to program the S6R using S6R config program but im not sure I want to mess with the transmitter. My current software pack is 2.1.6

Phil,

I understand your dilemma. I first started dabbling at the end of last year, I was nervous about exploring OpenTx as I'm no PC wizard and learning a new transmitter interface.

I'm now an absolute convert and other than continuing to use my old DX8 (which I have no issues with) on some legacy models all new stuff is Taranis. OpenTx.

I've just finally correctly setup the said receiver using the OpenTx programming options to make it work just as I want it.

Take your time researching, reading and watching the excellent Painless360 stuff on YouTube and you will find it very rewarding, I hope.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have downloaded Open TX to my laptop and am now looking for *The Amber Transmitter Sound pack. I thought if I have to go into the TX program I may as well have some decent sounds to go with it. 633 squadron would be ideal for my Parkzone D H Mosquito if I could find it

Many thanks for your help

I can't remember exactly where I got Amber's voice from but I'm sure you'll track her down on the OpenTx site.

I use Audacity to convert any sound files, just remember to make them mono and 32000 rate when converting to WAV. Worth also putting in a volume control via special functions, I use the RH pot.

I can't remember exactly where I got Amber's voice from but I'm sure you'll track her down on the OpenTx site.

I use Audacity to convert any sound files, just remember to make them mono and 32000 rate when converting to WAV. Worth also putting in a volume control via special functions, I use the RH pot.

I was worried about using Open TX myself. The video suggested above are good but I prefer written instructions (showing my age).

Instruction Manual Open TX

The above has been linked to before in this forum but as it can be hard to find so I did it again. It is a very good manual particularly the first section open TX getting started.

Just for your information I have also included a link to the openTX university page where you can download the Amber Voice pack

Amber Voice Pack Download Page

Hope you find these helpful.

JM

Posted by Devcon1 on 27/05/2017 08:50:35:

Much simpler today is to use program specially written for OpenTX called TTSAutomate.

**LINK**

The download button is further down the page. It will create Wav files automatically in the correct format.

The Amber files are on the OpenTX site.

As for not losing your settings on OpenTX Companion, follow the following every time you connect your transmitter up:

1. Read models and settings from radio.

2. Edit your models on the computer screen. Save this to a file on your computer. I add the date to the filename, and each editing session gets a new filename therefore.

3. Write models and settings to radio.

If you don't know how to read and write models to and from the radio, look at the written documentation link in the post above.

Doing this EVERY TIME gives you extra security as you have a backup copy of all your settings stored on the computer. You can also load up an earlier version if so wished.

OpenTX Companion is by far the best way to use OpenTX. This does not stop editing down at the field, but it is so much quicker and easier to set up models, especially complicated ones using the stabilised receivers. You also have the simulator feature where you can check out everything works as expected before trying it out on a model.

I, more or less, follow the procedures in Andy's post, above. However, I am not sure that it always works.

For instance, lets say I am taking my time working on OpenTX with a complicated setup for Model A and doing it in a few separate sessions on the PC, over a matter of days. In the meantime, I take Model B flying and make changes at the field, lets say, setting various trim values. When I get back home the settings on my transmitter will be different from the settings on OpenTX.

If I read from the transmitter to OpenTX I will lose the settings I have put into OpenTX for Model A. If I read from OpenTX to the transmitter I will lose my trim settings for Model B.

Unless it is possible to read a specific model's settings from one to the other, rather than all model settings, I can't see a way round this except to do what I currently do i.e. as soon as I have finished a session I load the models from one to t'other so that the transmitter and OpenTX are always in sync.

Following Andy's instructions, above, I am guessing would mean potentially losing any changes made in OpenTX and reverting back to an earlier state as per the transmitter.

Ian

Edited By IanR on 27/05/2017 12:56:47

Yes you can open two sets of models to copy from one to the other. Keep your work in progress model as a separate backup from your current models, then when you want to use it in anger open the WIP backup and also read your current models from the transmitter. Now just copy the WIP model to a new model slot on your current tx models.

Yes, Bob, I understand what you are saying, even though I do not know what a WIP is (ooh, matron)

It's just that I was hoping that a future version of the firmware might allow for "syncing" - much more elegant. And a small warning to others not to inadvertently overwrite settings.

Ian

WIP - Work In Progress Ian. As for overwriting experimental setups, I've been there myself!  A good reason for taking frequent backups with unique names, you can always restore a single model from a backup by simply copying it into your current setup.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 27/05/2017 14:01:20

Ian

Not quite sure why the problem. If you are working on model A, then still save it to the transmitter. Obviously as it is a work in progress, then you will not be flying that model anyway.

Meanwhile you go out with model B and make a few adjustments down at the field. Once back home hook up to the computer and save models and settings from the Tx. This will include all your adjustments etc. Then carry on with setting model "A" up and save everything back to the computer and back to the transmitter. Thus each stage of your update is saved on both the Tx and computer whether the change was made at home on the computer or down at the field.

This is exactly what I am currently doing as I move all my stuff over to OpenTX 2.2 on the Horus. I check out the coding on the new transmitter, then take the model down to the field and test it out. Meanwhile I am taking the time to "clean up", improve and standardise (e.g. making the volume control a global function) the programming for each model where possible.

Each model has carried the trim settings from the Taranis to the Horus. See here:

horus1.jpg

This is a model that I haven't worked on yet, and needs some trim work on it anyway. Notice though some settings at -2, 3 and 7%. These are the trim settings which have been stored on the computer previously.