Pits layout

Hi Does anyone have any definitive views on how the pit area at the flying field should be laid out? There is some confusion at our club as to which is the correct way for IC air craft to be facing when starting up. The concern arises from a public footpath that runs parallel to the pit area and standard practise up untill now has been to face aircraft towards the footpath which is about 5 metres away with aircraft being restrained with steel hoops in the usual way. Some members have expressed concern that in the event of a prop failure it would travel forward towards the footpath with the possibe consequences but turning around the models would blow dirt and grass in the same direction. Clubs i've flown at in the past have models restrained so that should one be released by accident it would face out of the pit area and not toward other models and modelers. I've looked at the BMFA handbook for advice on best practise in this area so we can discuss it at our next club meet but found nothing useful. Anybody give us some guidance in this area? thanks

Without doubt the models should point away from the path. Any departing propeller or model which escapes its restraint will pose far greater danger to passers by than some smoke and grass.

I would also suggest you ensure that all models are restrained as we have had electric models escape and go wandering off on their own due to incorrect failsafe setting and a tx being turned off before the model. It was quite a lesson for the pilots as their model made a bid for freedom. Fortunately we have a grass barrier 5 foot wide and a foot tall in front of the pits, and another at the side of the runway so that models are caught before getting too far.

We did toy with the idea of a fence, but this would almost certainly damage the model where as the grass barrier would not, and grass is very good at arresting models, even 50cc jobs tend to stop in short order.

At MGMFC our pit area is parallel to the flightline so all models are (should be!) restrained pointing towards the flightline (plastic fence) and away from the path to the rear of the pits. At NWMFC the pits are more of a rectangular area away from the flightline and any public access areas so it's props pointing out of the pits (long grass and hedges), people in the middle.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/06/2017 14:57:01

We have a line (and benches set up on it for optional use) behind which no model may be started or have its flight battery connected. The flight line is protected from errant models by a 3m fence which also serves to protect the car park and pits.

I'm struggling to follow your description Martyn - do you have your flying area the other side of the footpath?  If so, I'd have thought a start up area on the flying side would be the best idea.

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/06/2017 15:13:32

Posted by Martin Harris on 14/06/2017 15:10:22:

I'm struggling to follow your description Martyn - do you have your flying area the other side of the footpath? If so, I'd have thought a start up area on the flying side would be the best idea.

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/06/2017 15:13:32

A very good point. It did not occur to me you would have to cross the path to get 'air side'

I don't like the idea of carrying running/live models through the pits - and starting them pointing either way would be a no/no for me!

Far better to have a starting/arming area between the pits and the runway - a small fence (or earth bank/ditch or sand bag wall if you can't do anything permanent) would be a worthwhile addition to protect people flying.

I should perhaps point out that the hedge is about 4 feet thick with a barbed wire fence inside and at this time of year it's about 5 feet tall. The chances of a model hitting anyone is virtually nil. It was, however considered possible that a prop may go over the hedge at some point, hence the question.

I think runaway models are more likely Martin, than loose props flaying about, and you have that covered by the hedge.

Normal vigilance tethering all models should cover runaways, and I like the idea of "arming" just prior to take off, but

as an IC flyer, we carry a spinning prop from pit to flight line on a regular basis, year after year, without incident.

We can only have a safe routine that we stick too, and consider all that is around us

We fly from a private site so we don't have issues with third parties wandering about. We face our models outwards so any props or models run into a low grass bank that runs around our pits.

In your case Martyn, I'd suggest that in the case of any failure the article goes away from the footpath. It would be unfortunate if a club member was struck by an object but they have chosen to be there and it would be even worse if, to coin a recent term, an un-involved person was struck.

Could you have a pit/start up area on the left hand side of the pits 90degrees to the footpath. Then if there is a failure, the prop, for example, would spin away from the footpath and towards the runway (assuming the pilots box is not in the way)

We haven't actively sought this layout. It started with a couple of lads with drones so all that was needed was a bench and a couple of chairs. Then a few IC planes arrive and suddenly it's no longer Suitable.

Perhaps someone would sketch me out a layout that would be more suitable and we can discuss it at the next club meeting?

I rather expected there to be something in the BMFA hand book

Posted by Martyn Perks on 14/06/2017 19:54:46:

We haven't actively sought this layout. It started with a couple of lads with drones so all that was needed was a bench and a couple of chairs. Then a few IC planes arrive and suddenly it's no longer Suitable.

Perhaps someone would sketch me out a layout that would be more suitable and we can discuss it at the next club meeting?

I rather expected there to be something in the BMFA hand book

I think the reason its not in the BMFA handbook is that every site is different and it would be very difficult to have a one size fits all scenario although I thought there was something in the handbook?

CB