Swift 82

Advert

Some context: Always wanted to design and build a model. Lived somewhere where building was not possible for 18 months (I just had a bedroom which doubled up as a hangar for 4 aircraft!), but now I am in a place with a garage (well, hangar).

Drew up a few plans until I came up with something I was motivated enough to build. The outline of this is based very heavily on the full size Giles 200 (could argue it is one) and the idea is to make a pretty capable aerobatic aeroplane. It's 55" span, called the Swift 82 (because Swifts are nimble birds and 82 is the engine capacity) and it has a symmetrical wing section. Thought it would be mildly interesting to some.

What do other forum members think of the joints in the spars and centre spar?

In my view having both joints in line is a weakness. Having the centre spar in one piece would seem essential to actually strengthen the main spar ( or is it just an optical illusion that it's joined?) And forming a scarf joint in the main spars would be much stronger than the butt joint shown.

Personally I would place an additional rear spar across the wing bolt plate for a few ribs. Again this would be in one piece, tapered to match the decreasing thickness of ribs.

The spar at 4th rib from centre seems to be very strong on the inside and suddenly much weaker on the outer side and a potentail failure point........hope I am wrong! Isn't it that sudden concentrations of stress that cause failure? My view is that the ply webbing should extend beyond that 4th rib and then taper down.

Feel free to say that I am wrong!

Central joints should be scarf joints, I only realised afterwards- that was poor. On the other side of the wing the trailing spar is one piece because it is flat there. Not possible on this side because the angle is too great, but I have strengthened this and the brace provides a large amount of strength in this area.

Rear spar is on the plan, I just haven't yet put it on.

Not very visible on the photos (can just be seen in the last one) is that beyond the 4th rib, there are double shear webs which taper off for the reason you describe.

Coupled with the wing sheeting, I am not worried about the structural integrity of the wing. To a certain extent, adding more wood makes it heavy and the loads are greater.

Good! you have thought of all that already......

We are all interested to see the next stage - how you mount the aileron servos and whether you use paper tubes or insert extension leads now

and if you form the ailerons as part of the wing and cut them away etc.

We await the next episode.......

• 2 months later...

It's been a while but I have been making progress on this, albeit slowly. I have been rather busy and I have done quite a bit of flying.

Aileron servo mounts (no slot for the horn yet)

20.jpg

The rear spar- this will tie in with the false trailing edge. It tapers off at the edge and still needs trimming.

21.jpg

And something to go in the wing which makes this project perhaps a little more interesting...

22.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Another excessive break between posts but I have made some slow progress.

Aileron servo mount rails (next to the cyanoacrylate bottle is one of the mounts).
23.jpg

24.jpg

Skin time.

25.jpg

Note the added lip at the leading edge- I felt this was necessary to ensure the wing skin had a smooth leading edge. It worked well.

26.jpg

Tomorrow I will excavate the wing from the plethora of aviation magazines and mount it the other way up to continue. I'll need to chock the wing in order to keep it straight when the sheeting on the other side goes on.

27.jpg

• 3 months later...

Oh dear it has been a while. I have made some (but not a lot) of progress, but now the Christmas break is over and I am back at my house feeling less lazy, we can get the ball rolling once more.

We left with the wing under many aviation based magazines. And they worked, the wing skin went on well.

28.jpg

The trailing edge will be cut to match the centre in order to give enough glue area for the solid wood trailing edge.

29.jpg

The wing is now the correct way up here. There are some new bits under here, notably the trailing spar on the top side.

30.jpg

Because of the slight dihedral, the wing needs to be chocked for the skinning on this side. I tried using lots of little bits of balsa but it was perilous to balance and went wrong if you so much as breathed on the wing. So I stopped that nonsense and made some proper jigs.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

I will finally adjust it before skinning, I think the middle ones are slightly too tall currently. Here is the mount for the pitot static tube, which will be screwed onto the port wingtip (opposing the mounted engine weight). Not quite finished yet.

35.jpg

Next is to build all the bits in the wing- false t/e, aileron l/e, hinge mounting blocks etc. before skinning.

False trailing edge time. I cut slots (purposely over sized- the aileron leading edge piece will go here) and made the false t/e. The wing was mounted accurately to glue them on.

36.jpg

37.jpg

The hinge blocks need to be put in the wing and the aileron leading edge. Getting closer to the top skin when finally there will be a structurally sound wing (touch wood!).

Difficult to say without the fuselage, but does anyone think this undercarriage is too large? It will be mounted on the fuselage on this aeroplane, not as shown here.

38.jpg

More

I made the lip for the leading edge of the wing skin to sit on and glued it on.

39.jpg

Then I finished off the pitot attachment. I made this removable since it is quite susceptible (and to shape the leading edge).

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Coincidentally the full size Giles 200 (on which my design is based) has the pitot in the same place as mine.

I think I will make a small shroud to make it look a bit less ungainly. My current train of thought is that the sensor can go next to the servo bay.

43.jpg

TX is a Taranis if you haven't guessed already. I'll also have a variometer on board to measure altitude, as well as the standard rx voltage and signal strength telemetry. I'm doing this to test if the telemetry has a use, so I will conduct some flight testing to see if I can use the airspeed sensor to set a usable stall warning on the transmitter. It adds something else of interest too.

Bets on a bit of grass from the runway block the pitot up after 2 seconds after this work?!

"Bets on a bit of grass from the runway block the pitot up after 2 seconds after this work?!"

---------------------------------------

​Well I can't speak for the Taranis ASI unit, but my JR telemetry unit has worked pretty well and doesn't seem to block up. Provides useful info on relative airspeed. However, I feel that the "delay" in telemetry updates may mean you have to set the warning speed alarm a bit higher than the critical airspeed to allow time for the system to trigger and the pilot to respond?