Where are the retailers now

Zflyer

Advert

I knew of a former model shop, set up by a chap who used his redundancy money. He wanted to get an account with Airfix/Hornby. For the first 3 orders they wanted a minimum of £2000 each time until he had developed a good level of credit and sales. I'm told many distributors require similar levels to be bought by the shops and for it to be a regular order under contract and the items can only be sold for a price dictated by the distributor, with no flexibility by the retailer as they see fit.

Posted by ChrisB on 23/06/2017 21:16:41:

.........and the items can only be sold for a price dictated by the distributor, with no flexibility by the retailer as they see fit.

Such arrangements are generally illegal under UK & European Competition Law and have been for some years.

This Link takes you to the Government Website with advice to retailers facing such a proposal.

It should be taken seriously, only last Tuesday a Lighting Supplier was fined £2.7million for restricting prices.

Well Chaps, we have two alternatives - put up with HH's rather arrogant treatment of their customer base, or go elsewhere.

I guess the main concern with changing to an alternative manufacturer is not so much the cost of the average weekend flier's fairly basic 6 function transmitter ( same cost as a respectable artf airframe ) but the cost of replacing (probably) at least half a dozen receivers as well - which at least doubles the cost of changing over.

This looks like a turn around. Three years or so back we (and I) were singing HH praises with quick turnaround times, great CS etc.

I've had several conversations with my LMS about pricing, event pitch prices, etc. On a model they make around £5-10 as prices are pared to the bone. I can see them shutting down and becoming a trade outlet (which actually won't affect myself) but for all the personal touch and face - to face advice etc it is all but disappearing.

When they price up an event, say Weston or WnW etc, given the pitch fees, staff payments, meals etc it's not unusual to run at a loss, which may explain whay they were not there.

At WnW yestarday, I have to say that the Rapid RC tent was heaving - all day, so not all bad news

I'm looking to go to Hitec (J Perkins in the UK). I don't know if Perkins are any better than any of the others but they are based in the UK and my experience of Hitec servos is that they are faultless.

I wouldn't replace all of my Spekrum receivers (20) but would start a fresh with new models.