G-FOUR

cymaz

Thank you Gents.........my mistake, they are Radio Active tanks embarrassedembarrassed.

The plane is about 15 yrs old. The spars are spruce top and bottom. There are another couple of spars at the rear of the wing and there is the spar at the LE.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Update...!

After being at Greenacres and club flying....etc...etc, thought I would post progress on the refurb. To be honest, it's been a little slow.blush

Mrs Cymaz and I have had a tax bill, pay for the van hire and Travelodge for last week and had to buy a new mattress....oops.

So, the covering expenses will have to wait a month or two until next payday. Although, Wheelspin Models supplied the 4 fuel tanks, replacement hinges and balsa filler.

Today it was time to tackle the engines. They are OS 40la ones, so very simple. Stripped each one down to see if there was any damage inside, replaced the pipe on the remote needles and put new OS F plugs in. Each one started by hand after a few flicks and was a complete non-drama..laugh

The battery and switch have been replaced. New wing servos with new hatches have been installed. And the cockpit modified and ply lined to accept a couple of pilots. I have also settled on the colour scheme.

Edited By cymaz on 09/07/2017 18:01:33

Edited By cymaz on 09/07/2017 18:02:22

Spending today on the wing. Most of the hinges can pull as the glue has failed. So the first job is to re-glue,pin and re-hinge. Installed new aileron push rod and servo arms. Rough mounted the engines, adjusting the end points for all four engines......not an easy task!

Not taken any pictures as there is really nothing new to see. If anyone wants details of how I adjusted the end points for the four engines from one servo, I will gladly share.

Throttle servo...each arm is controlling one pair of engines,

throttle servo.jpg

I have decided on the colour scheme, for the moment. It may yet change!! White and red on the fuselage. Back bands across each wing with black engine nacelles. Possibly red wing tips. And if I can find suitable Canadian decals I will go for them. It's a bit of mix and match but I don't mind....its not exactly scale.

g four colour 1.jpg

g four colour 2.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 15/07/2017 15:01:27

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by kevin b on 03/08/2017 21:27:58:

If you consider the time taken to drink the malt and the fuel cost for flying 4 x OS40s, the malt is probably cheaper per hour. devil

Should I run the 40la engines on Scotch ? Sacrilege! Some might say. However, the clean up at the end of the day will result in a rare blend cocktail

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!photo

Just finished covering the wing ( 18' in total), pinned and attached the ailerons and began fitting in the hatches.

wing complete3.jpg

Also began covering the nacelles. It's the first time I have used Poly-C and light glass cloth ( 0.6oz/sq yd). So far it's been easy and straightforward to use. There is no smell, covers easily and soaks in well into the weave. I have done the two flat sides and will leave it to dry and then cut around the corners. The cloth does have some give and has gone around a corner-but no far. When the varnish dries I will cut the cloth, tidy up the corners and re-coat. The brushes wash out well with soap and water....

nacelle covering1.jpg

nacelle covering2.jpg

The pilot arrived over the weekend....ebay for a few £££. It was a swimming Action Man and felt heavy. So some surgery was required....the patient didn't survive.

For those of a nervous disposition look away now.....

pilot2.jpg

pilot3.jpg

He lost something else as well devil (no just the feet)

pilot4.jpg

I expect hate mail from the Action Man Appreciation Society soon

Edited By cymaz on 15/08/2017 11:54:12

After a day in the garage...progress has been made

Cockpit painted and glazed measured, cut and fitted. Not glued in just yet.

repainted cockpit.jpg

Side windows now blacked out. I think it tidies up the sides.

new windows.jpg

Began covering the tail / fuselage. This might be finished tomorrow ,if I don't go flying.

new tail.jpg