Chris's Super 60 Build

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have had time to update this blog (my bad) due to work and I was at the open last weekend in birkdale which was fun. The build is coming along now. I am feeling the frustration of not having the right tools for the job at time but I guess I will acquire these over time. I have most of the main structure built now and I'm now trying to figure out what receiver battery I need to use. Does anyone have any ideas what I should be doing here. I bought a a fly sky receiver off eBay but I don't have any instructions for it. Is there a stock receiver battery I should be using? img_4162.jpg

Thanks

Chris

Chris

Progressing well by the look of the photo!

I'm not familiar with your receiver but I tend to use Overlander Nimh batteries, of the relevant voltage for your receiver / servo combo. I suspect you are looking at a 4.8v flat battery similar to this, https://www.overlander.co.uk/sanyo-eneloop-800-aaa-4-8v-rx-square-5806.html.

It's the sort of battery I used, you pick the amp/ rating but mine was typically 1200mah.

As for tools, yes, these come with time. No point rushing out and buying loads until you know what you need the most. Suspect, looking at the stage you're at you may want to look at tools to help make the covering process easier. I.e. A dedicated covering iron and nifty film slitter, called a Crafty Cutter, from SLEC possibly?

Hopefully, you'll get further input to help you choose your idea battery and possibly suggest further tools.

S

Edited By Stuart Z on 28/07/2017 13:01:27

Posted by Stuart Z on 28/07/2017 12:49:26:

As for tools, yes, these come with time. No point rushing out and buying loads until you know what you need the most. Suspect, looking at the stage you're at you may want to look at tools to help make the covering process easier. I.e. A dedicated covering iron and nifty film slitter, called a Crafty Cutter, from SLEC possibly?

I've never owned a covering iron. Always had a stock of discarded domestic irons to hand which work fine. DON'T borrow and use the one that's currently in use in the house unless you are prepared to deal with the consequences of permanent stains on her best dress which just happen to be the same colour as your S60. Again, don't ask how I know this! Wilkinson Sword double edge blades work fine too for trimming covering.
​Are you going to cover it in Film or Tex? I use Tex as I think it results in a more robust airframe.

Chris

Sorry if the link no didn't work, but you're on the right track, but I know nothing of your radio set up so that is the driver of whether you need 4.8 or 6v. You instructions will tell you. You have space in that fuselage for a flat or square battery pack, I choose flat ones as they are generally easier to find a home for. In a S60, space is rarely an issue though.

Fun Flyer makes a good point on type of covering - my KK S60 was covered in Solartex and was very strong. My BB S60 was covered in Oracover, a smooth film. Both seem to work fine and give a strong finish, in fact my "retired" BB S60 is in the loft after a year of hard flying and still looks great.

Solarfilm is cheaper, but may not be as strong. Again many recommendations may still come your way.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cris,Ive built two of the super 60s,three and a four channel,i would advise using quarter spruce instead of balsa for the spars front upper and lower on the wing section,ive read on some other sites that this reinforces the wing,i hope it does,because im building another wing now as mine snapped in mid air,lol,wish id of seen that site before i built the four channel version,im also not banding the wings,i am now going to have the wing fixed with two plastic bolts on the cetre section of the trailing edge,and using half inch hardwood dowel coming out of the underside of the leading edge centre section,plenty of people tend to modify this model,i love building,so its good practice,all the best with your build.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

HI, Chris, I hope you don't mind me butting in, but I think some one should have explained to you about wash out to help with the flying, I have been told that it needs about a 1/4 inch under the T/E at the wing tip.

I did this when I built mine and it flew great, also do not forget that the original was a free flight model,

No electronics.

All the best Mike.

• 5 months later...
Posted by Daniel Cardona on 02/03/2019 13:59:18:

Hello to all

first I apologize as i dont want to hack the thread with my question.

but to all the super 60 lovers, which one flies the best the 3 or 4 ch version?

i stubold in this video on youtube and i’m amazed of how well the model flies, but is it the 3 or 4 ch?

link below

**LINK**

kind regards

Daniel

4 ch every time Daniel.

I agree with Percy (more or less!), the 3-ch and 4-ch are both great models, it just depends on the way you want to fly.
For example, 4-ch would be best if your flying area is restricted by trees, etc. and tightish turns may be needed.
However, if you have plenty of room and you just want easy, relaxed flying, the 3-ch would also be great.

The main thing is to not spend too much time "wondering". Whichever one you choose, you'll be pleased!

If you really want a Super 60 with ailerons - and as Percy says, it doesn't fly any better with them - then you ought to look at the Frog Jackdaw.

Its a much overlooked contemporary of the Super 60, and of similar size and construction. The big difference is that it was never intended for free flight, but to be RC from the outset And although they are optional, the plan shows ailerons from the start.

IMHO its an even better trainer than the Super 60. It has less dihedral, so stays in turns better. It has a thinner wing section, which makes it less "floaty", and it flies just as well as the S60.

I'm not saying the S60 is a bad trainer, I just think its a tad to stable to really teach flying. I much prefer the Jackdaw. Plans can be found on Outerzone, and iGull does laser cut ribs for it.

Oh, and yes, a certain Stewart Uwins (of Skyleader fame) had a hand in the design....!
--
Pete

Thank you all for the feedback, one thing that I didn’t made clear is that I’m not exactly a beginner, its just that i have somehow a soft spot for this type of models. They are relaxed and reasonably fun on a calm summer day, and i also have a ben buckle radio queen that i think its a good contender to start build something that its easy going.

Looking again that video that i posted earlier, if its true that its the 3ch version, it doesn’t seem that struggles to do tight turns, and it looks that it has less dihedral too.

regards

daniel

Posted by Percy Verance on 02/03/2019 16:46:27:

Well I'll have my 50p on it being a 3ch Super 60 Daniel. I didn't spot any ailerons during one close in low pass it flew.....

Unlike the Junior 60, the S60 didn't have a huge amount of dihedral, but still turns well enough on just rudder inputs.

Do you have any idea how much is the dihedral of the ben buckle super 60? Would be possible to apply the aileron wing with the 3ch version dihedral? Thing is that with an almost flat wing it doesn’t look good to my eye.

Percy: The grass was a bit long on the maiden flight and I suspect that swing to the right was caused by the prop catching in the grass!

Since then, I've put slightly larger wheels on and a slightly taller undercarriage, and it now lifts off much better. It doesn't leap off the ground - that would be out of character - but it no longer takes such a long run!

wink

I have tried a larger diameter prop with a finer pitch, but it doesn't make a lot of difference, and mitigates the longer undercarriage a bit...! Also the engine was fairly new and ticking over a bit fast!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 02/03/2019 17:22:16

• 4 years later...

Hello, first build ever!
Building the wing of this 4 channel Super 60 and it says go glue W1 to the end of the trailing edge/Aileron??? There is nothing on the plan that says W1 can anyone tell me what piece is W1 please? And I’m guessing I have to also sand the leading edge of the Aileron at 2 angles so it’ll rock ?
Many thanks Darren 👍🏼