Some dumb questions that have never been asked apparently

Ive got some questions from a complete novice with no experience whatsoever in Rc that it would appear no one has asked before as the search function is drawing a blank. Okay so in my haste to rush into this hobby ive screwed up and ordered a mode 1 kit rather than the more 2 i would prefer (sportscub s). Now being a complete novice i know nothing obviously so my question is this : if i get a mode 1 is it possible to change to a mode 2 ? What actually sets the mode on these planes is it just the controller or the plane its self? I would greatly appreciate someones input on this

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/07/2017 15:35:34

Advert

It depends on the transmitter but the majority can be swapped between modes. I think you may have touched a nerve by highlighting the HH aspect which has been widely covered - BEB is normally very reasonable and a fine moderator.

Welcome to the forum!

(overlapped a bit with Devcon)

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/07/2017 00:06:55

OK...Hi David....First off , it's the Transmitter that has the "mode" assigned to it, not he Aircraft. Servos will serve any master via the receiver so to speak.

But we will need to know what Brand you are going for, Futaba, Spektrum, multiplex, hitec etc. Transmitter and receiver need to be the same brand.

Some transmitters can be changed from one mode to another, either mechanically, or using the programming.

Give us a bit more info Matey.

D.D.

Oh and welcome to the forum and the Hobby......laugh

Thank you for your reply Dwain , and also im not sure what haplend with my 2 last replies they seem to have sent themselves , anyway its a hobbyzone sportscub s im sure its a Spektrum 2,4GHz DSMX radio on the website ? Im assuming this is the reciever in the plane or is this the controller ? The controller in the photos is a eflite mlp6dsm but i will most certainly upgrade if needed thanks again i know its hard dealing with people who dont even know what they are talking about btw ive dealt with it on motorbikes for years ! So its really appreciated

The answer seems to be (assuming it's the DX4e shown in the on line manual) no, it isn't interchangeable.

And yes it is with a little work!

Have a look at this thread - sorry, different forum!

This forum software is a bit clunky - often people don't think they've hit the "Add Posting" button properly and try it again (several times in some cases!) Check the activity indicator (usually near the end of the URL bar) and if it's showing as working, just wait...

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/07/2017 00:29:40

Hi David, and welcome to the forum!

As Martin just said, the forum software is a little clunky - I think most wil agree the forum thrives despite the software, not because of it, and most of us are by now used to it's quirks and limitations.

Don't bother using the search function - it's very limited in what it does - it only searches within the titles of threads, not the actual contents... Also it will return lots of irrelevant results where the search term is just a substring of the thread title. For instance a search for 'mode' will return all threads where the title contains not just 'mode' - but also 'models', 'modeller', 'modelling' etc. etc.

It's much better to use google (which is after all a search engine!) You can restrict your search to just this site by adding site:modelflying.co.uk to the end of your search terms. For instance try this search.

Posted by David Campbell 5 on 22/07/2017 00:47:08:
Thanks again martin that looks like exactly what i need , so from what i understand its a case of opening the controller and switching the wires for both analogues ? And then use the recalibration process described to ensure its all true?

You will also need to move the throttle ratchet from the right stick to the leftl stick - not sure how the speky set does it, it might just be a case of moving the steel toothed bridge across

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 22/07/2017 07:40:52

David have you joined a local model flying club. Always a good thing to do if it is possible There, you would find loads of help and probably find someone who could effect the mode transfer for you. Also, in addition, you would have insurance cover, which is really necessary.

Hi folks thanks for your replies. Yeah i forgot about the spring and the bridge but seems simple enough there is 2 threads ive bookmarked with step by steps etc. Looks really simple , i worked for a well known power tool manufacturer before the motorcycle crash so it shouldnt be a problem as it looks to be a 5 minute job if that. Ive not considered joining a flying club but might look them up (im Scottish incase anyone was wondering).

Posted by Percy Verance on 22/07/2017 07:50:24:

Hi David

If you're a little unclear/unsure regarding changing the mode, and you don't particuarly wish to return the transmitter to HH in Germany, then take a look at Mike Ridley's website at www.modelradioworkshop.co.uk.

Mike is the UK service agent for Multiplex radio, but can service/repair any make. He also carries out bespoke modifications - such as placing all three flying controls on a single stick for those whom may have lost the use of a hand. Do take a look at Mike's site, and you'll find his contact details as well. Rest assured, he's good.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/07/2017 07:51:09

Agree with Percy re Mike Ridley David, he is excellent and quick too, just piece of mind if you don't want to fiddle, if you are happy to do so great but another option.

Welcome by the way.

Posted by David Campbell 5 on 22/07/2017 08:40:33:
Hi folks thanks for your replies. Yeah i forgot about the spring and the bridge but seems simple enough there is 2 threads ive bookmarked with step by steps etc. Looks really simple , i worked for a well known power tool manufacturer before the motorcycle crash so it shouldnt be a problem as it looks to be a 5 minute job if that. Ive not considered joining a flying club but might look them up (im Scottish incase anyone was wondering).

As Bekilted Haggis muncher the Scottish Model Flying Association might have better links to clubs north of the Border

**LINK**

No there certainly is not percy lol , so just to keep everyone updated i emailed wheelspinmodels earlier who got back to me saying the kit comes with the mlp6dsm handset NOT the dx4e.So the switch can not be done this way which is no problem as i was considering a better getting Tx (see im learning the lingo !). I bought a Dxe Tx with a usb cable too , i imagine this will be perfect for my needs for some time anyway. I also bought 4 props just incase , a Hitec x4 lipo charger , a hot glue gun , small carry tool kit for in the box , and a battery checker. I had already ordered 3 more batteries for it when i ordered the plane. I feel this should be pretty much most of the stuff needed to keep me in the air for the forseeable future anyway. If you think ive missed anything out that i really will need let me know.

I'd reiterate joining s club. Even if for no other reason to get assistance face to face, as this is the best way to resolve issues.

Also, clubs are usually established in suitable sites, which will avoid possible issues in other locations.

CB

OG and Chris B is right re joining a club, the best suggestion for learning, these are just my thoughts on it.

You have invested money in every thing and time sorting it and on this forum. Most first time flyers can get the model off the ground, next hurdle is turning it without it plummeting to the ground.................. right your through that, now it's understanding how to trim it out properly so it flys true and level with out having to hold it on the sticks to acheive it. The nest big big hurdle is landing it in one piece so you can fly again! To understand how to combine throttle, elevator and aileron in a controlled manner, and all the time it's getting closer and closer and closer to the ground. On top of this your battery will only last for a few short minutes, and they will seem very short minutes. Its a recipe for disaster, not trying to scare you at all.

At a club someone will get it up for you, they will trim it out and when it's up high they will give you the controller. They will talk you through doing turns etc but will grab the controller should there be a problem. As battery time approaches they will take the controller and land it for you. A few flights later they will let you take off, and when they see you can turn confidently you will start practicing landing approaches BUT keep the model at first high and then lower on each practice approach. Eventually it will come together and you will land, even this will take a number of flights. After this you will practice more complete flights in full control with someone by your side. When the club decides you can fly alone (meaning without someone by your side) it's a big wow factor!! So which is better learn to fly properly and have a model at the end to enjoy your new found skill OR a very short flight on your own and your pride and joy in a bin bag!! I know as will a lot of forum members which way is best.

A bonus, you make new, like minded friends who will offer help and advise where needed, have a great laugh and learn to fly safely.

Go to the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) web site they have a "flying club search" facility that will help you find a club hopefully not to far away from you. Also please think seriously about insurance which you can get from the BMFA for £33 a year.

Like I said I don't want to frighten you, I just want you to fly safely and enjoy the hobby.

Edited By Keith Sharples on 22/07/2017 21:19:19

Edited By Keith Sharples on 22/07/2017 21:21:24