12 mm prop shaft?

I'm assembling a Hangar 9 Spitfire (the 30cc ARTF) and, having taken the electric route, I'm using an Eflite Power 160 to supply the urge. The prop adapters supplied with the motor are for a 12 mm shaft. This seems extremely large to me, not having built anything quite so large before.

I'm planning on running an 18 X 8 prop (or thereabouts, depending on current draw) - can such a prop be safely reamed out to take a 12 mm shaft? If so, are 12 mil reamers available?

Sorry if these are daft questions, but I've not met such a shaft diameter before!

Thanks,

Tim.

Advert

Tim, as Denis says no problem for an 18" dia prop, I've got a slightly less powerful setup ( not a Spitfire and 1.8kw equivalent to a 26 cc petrol) turning a 18 x 6 prop on a 10mm shaft, I just checked a couple of spare props and the recess is 12.5 to 13mm dia so they can be reamed out to this quite safely.

Mine is on an 8s set up (pulls about 70 amps), I use the Jeti antispark connectors for the final hook up and they work great.

My Laser 180 uses a 1/2" sleeve nut to enable an alloy spinner to be used. It is not the latest version which I believe is now all metric. I enlarge the prop holes a little at a time on my drill press then use a tapered reamer from the rear to finish off because 1/2" drills are not easy to come by. Had no problems.