New Sarik Hobbies statement...

Just in...

"Here at Sarik Hobbies we are now getting close to the point where we can begin selling the former Traplet products. We will post here as soon as things are in place such as phone line, website etc.

Just a quick note here to clarify the original Sarik Hobbies statement, that we would be offering "many of the product and services of Traplet"
We can confirm that ALL the plans and parts, including wood packs will be fully available, along with vac-formed and fibreglass accessories.
This of course includes the old Traplet plans catalogue in it's entirety featuring the Brian Taylor, Dennis Bryant, Phil Noel, Duncan Hutson plans to name but a few. The huge range of MyHobbystore plans are also fully available too.
Though not so relevant to readers on this thread, it's perhaps worth mentioning that all boat, engineering, railway plans, line drawings etc along with kits from Myhobbystore and the former Traplet are included as well"

Advert

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 07/08/2017 13:43:25:

No, just the back catalogue that went to Traplet last year kc.

Back issues are the best (and cheapest) place to secure the plans we've published since and in the last few years for which copies are usually available at here at http://mags-uk.com/

Hi David

Does this mean that all future RCME plans will be issued as free pull-out sheets in the mags, that there will not be an RCME plans catalogue, and that only the past three years-worth will be available bundled with the relevant magazine back-issue?

Gordon

Yes Gordon, pull-out sheets in the magazine going forward. We don't have a plans service so there won't be a future plans catalogue from us although that's not saying that Sarik won't produce one themselves at some point.

Don't quote me on the back-issue stock levels, it's not something I'm involved with but best to check at the website mentioned above.

David.

Hmmm. I can see a lot the logic in my understanding of the RCM&E situation with respect to plans.

I will also be honest in that having built only 4 free plans, I have never purchased one of wood packs. Although I can see a commercial logic of linking retail sales of the wood packs to the free plans. Although I have considered the sale price of the wood packs poor value, relative to the cost of sheet material. I still would like to build the Lockheed plan, a real opportunity to encourage lazy people like me to buy a wood pack, just due to the former complexity, if the price was only attractive.

The RCM&E has certainly done well with two of the free plans, in that I have seen quite a few Candos & possibly slightly more Cutlasses.

The free plans do seem to get built, and I do suspect that much of the readership, or that really should be purchasers of the magazine, are encouraged to stay with RCM&E for this aspect, amongst others.

That seems to suggest that  future building of RC models from English plans will be doomed to just the latest plan or pre 2017 designs for ever!

Unless we save the pull out plans for posterity..... but those thin paper plans won't really last beyond the building of the first model.

Edited By kc on 08/08/2017 12:55:09

Edited By kc on 08/08/2017 13:05:37

KC

The real problem is not many build from plans. I guess proportionally more of the Free Plans get built than any other of the traditional building options.

For those who wish to build some of the models from the past, there are people and sites which do provide downloadable plans. It really comes down to there is no money to be made from most past plans, more often than not, a sizable loss.

The House of Frog is interesting, as is Mikes pages. Then there are all the ones previously mentioned. For those who build from kits, Ben Buckle. There is a lot out there for the nostalgic.

The problem for many of us is that we have saved plans with every intention to build, now old age has driven home to me that I will not build even 1% of the plans I have.

The present belongs to RTF and ARTF. Even many of those who talk of building, pouring scorn onto those ARTF  moulded models, have only assembled a big, more complicated ARTF model.

It is these realities that the RCM&E staff deal with, with a nod to nostalgia, as they know many of us suffer from it. A plan service could be a drain on scarce resources. Particularly in a hobby that is at best static in numbers and total spends.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/08/2017 13:29:32

Edited By Erfolg on 08/08/2017 13:30:02

A further statement from Sarick today:

Introducing plans, woodpacks and accessories by

SarikHobbies

The right to sell many of the UK’s favourite R/C aircraft and boat plans has now been acquired by SarikHobbies, including popular designs from RCM&E, RC Model World, Radio Modeller and Quiet & Electric Flight International magazines. The company’s range also includes a large number of laser cut woodpacks, as well as a wide selection of glass-fibre and vac-formed parts to match many of the plans that they hold, such as cowls and canopies, etc.

Besides a huge range of model aircraft products, SarikHobbies also offer a wide selection of model boat plans, hulls and woodpacks for designs showcased in Model Boats and Marine Modelling International magazines.

A new online store is under construction to show off the hundreds of model plans and associated products that the company offers, but for now customers are requested to visit the existing SarikHobbies website, which shows the company’s long established plastic model products, for up to date contact details:

www.sarikhobbies.com

For modellers within driving distance of Malvern, a collection service is also available during office hours. Visitors are welcome to top up their balsa sheet and strip wood stocks at the same time!

Yes I was getting a bit windy when I caught a whisper of the demise of Traplet Publications. I had made a telephone enquiry a few months ago, as to whether I could possibly call in to the Malvern premises and collect a Farmhand 60 plan and wood set and they could not have been more obliging. It's good to know that we will still have,(hopefully) a reliable source of plans and wood packs for a few more years yet. Just like Mick Sargent, I too had quite an unfufilled list.

Here's hoping.

I think it is reasonable to dispute Erfolgs statement " there is no money to be made from most past plans, more often than not, a sizable loss" Piers said he pays 2.50 to get a one sheet plan copied yet for some years now the price of most plans seems to have been about 15 pounds! No profit there then? Just for pushing a button or two. And if they had to find an old plan and scan it the charge was another 5 pounds if I remember correctly. But the 'new' company seems to have chosen to keep selling plans so that alone suggests Erfolg's statement is wrong. Presumably they kept/acquired the profitable bit and left the rest behind. Of course we all want to be able to buy plans in future if we need them. We want Britain's aeromodelling heritage to keep going.

The caution of some is understandable. At first sight nothing has changed, other than Traplet.

It is reasonable to assume that Traplet, did their very best to be profitable. I also assume that as a business they could no longer see a way forward.

If my assumptions are correct, then either cost savings have to be made, or more profitable business has to be generated.

Yet a wait and see, could be a nail in the coffin. Given that we all (I assume) recognise that the model sector is not a boom area, that money is not easily made, those who see that the services being offered are what they want, at this time, may provide a breathing space for a future for Sarik, to become established, by taking a risk and purchasing now.

On the other hand I am not sure I would..

I don't wish to speculate but I kind of assumed that it was the magazine side of things that was not viable sadly, they had several titles. Good news that the plans and CNC sets will be available in the fullness of time from Sarik. I will be ordering once their website is fully up and running.

Printing from Cad files would certainly make sense Erfolg.

I bought the August RCMW from Tesco, it was the only model flying magazine, no RCM&E on the shelves, just one on model boats and another on plastic kits. I saw twenty on trains, both full sized and models! It's clear that people still buy a lot of magazines judging by the huge display in Tesco, just not ones on model flying.

I suggest everyone should take out a subscription to RCM&E if they don't already have one.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/08/2017 19:44:14