Aileron servo for non ARTF Acrowot

I am renewing the covering on my balsa Acrowot. It has a single servo with torque rods.

I will be removing the ailerons to make the covering easier and replacing the single servo with dual servos. (I will have to cut the torque rods so I figure this will be easier).

I have three pairs in my box of spares to choose from... HS80MG, HS81MG and HS82MG.

Which of these would be most suitable or should I put std size servos in?

Edited By Focae on 22/08/2017 12:50:09

Advert

I've still got an old WOT4 built in the 80's with a single Futaba 148 driving both ailerons.

That servo is rated at 2.4kg-cm, which is less than the HS81MG & HS82MG (I don't know the spec of the 80MG offhand) so either Hitec would be more than enough to do half the work.

Servo database is a useful resource for this sort of thing if you have not come across it before.

Not really the question you asked, but are you moving to twin servos because you will be cutting the torque rods, or because you want them? You could cut the ailerons off the rods without damaging the rods, and then either extend the existing ailerons back to full length, or even make a new pair and stay single servo. Less work than converting to 2 servos I would think?

Nothing wrong with single servo for general flying provided the torque rods are stiff enough. Separate servos with short stiff  rods are my prefered set up as it usually eliminates any flutter of control surfaces . I assume it's the proper Acro Wot with foam veneered wings so running wire for servos will be a bit more hassle. If it's built up wings then it's simple but you will still have to make servo mounts . Swings and roundabouts shouts .

Richards idea seems good - cut the ailerons rather than the metal torque rods. Another advantage is that new ailerons would be free of oil and easier to re- cover. But the old ailerons might be reused after cutting by an insert of ply to take torque rod and reinforcing with thin ply.

Re covering glow models is easier with non heat methods so consider doing the aileron in situ with tissue & dope ( or modern dope substitute) or tissue and wallpaper paste. Or merely paint the ailerons. Save re hinging and lots of work.

I think the aileron stock for the Acro Wot is a non standard size - I remember having to cut some from sheet on a bandsaw.