Where to find imperial size carbon fibre wing tubes?

I am putting together a VQ models 80" SBD Dauntless kit.

https://www.topmodel.fr/en/product-detail-21491-sbd-5-dauntless-30cc-2-06m-arf

IIt has a 3 piece wing with a long ali wing tube that goes right through the centre section so both tip panels plug onto it. The tips have a hatch to allow the tip panels to bolt to the centre section. The instructions suggest that the whole wing is epoxied up into a one-piece unit. I would like to keep a 3 piece wing to facilitate storage and transport.

The wing tube is quite strong enough to allow the tip panels to plug on. But...? the location tubes in the wing itself are a sloppy fit on the tube. The wing tube itself is 25mm o/d. Seems like location tubes are 1" (25.4mm) resulting in a lose fit.

So I would like to locate a 3ft length of 1" carbon fibre tube which would be a better fit. Anyone know who stocks imperial sizes?

Alternatively, a source of very thin heatshrink tube to add to the existing wing tube? Standard HK stuff is too thick.

Or another solution to the problem that doesn't involve major wing surgery? 

Edited By David Ovenden on 24/08/2017 21:22:42

Edited By David Ovenden on 24/08/2017 21:28:25

Advert

Thanks for the suggestions. I had contemplated tape, film, paint as a way of increasing diameter to fit the wing sockets. Not sure how well paint and film will adhere to ali tube. I may experiment with the epoxy resin idea as that resists fuel and is sandable to give a snug fit.

Ron - do you know of a source for hardened thin-wall ali tube in 1" diameter? Or know the correct specification number/grade for wing tube grade ali tubing?

Edited By David Ovenden on 26/08/2017 12:27:25

Currently I'm waiting for some "thin" heatshrink tubing to arrive. I would like to see if that works as it's easy to undo.

If that doesn't work I'll go with the thin layer of epoxy

Failing that I'll be looking for 1" carbon or ali tube.

If all else fails I may just have to settle for gluing it all into a once-piece wing.

OK, package arrived today from HK with some thin walled clear heat shrink tubing. I have just shrunk fitted this over the ali wing tube and hey presto I have a 1" diameter tube that is a snug fit in the wing sockets. Took 2 minutes to do has sorted the problem. That's what I call a successful conclusion.

Thanks to all those who took the trouble to respond.