Petrol first timer

Tim Campling

Hi all, I've finally succumbed and bought my first petrol ic, a DLE 60 twin. Bought from a mate but unused originally from Steve Webbs.

It's all plumbed in and live but I can't start it. The issue seems to be no fuel into the carb. If I blow down the feed pipe its like blowing against a bung regardless of throttle/choke position. I've checked the low and high speed needles are at factory. A small squirt of fuel into the pot creates a pop so I know there's a spark. I feel the carb is just not sucking fuel in but am I missing something, what am I doing wrong?

The reason that you can't blow down the feed pipe is that the regulator only allows fuel to flow when the engine sucks. So that is not a fault. Also, the Walbro pump is powerful enough that even if the tank vent is blocked, it will suck fuel and collapse the tank inwards somewhat before it gives up.

The carbs are easy to dismantle and fix. Ebay has plenty of Walbro repair kits. These are usually illustrated showing the contents, so if the diaphragm needs replacing, just buy a kit with the same shape diaphragm as the one in your carb.

If the engines new and not been run it's far more likely to be a stuck needle than a diaphragm fault. Before doing anything else I'd prime the carb by shooting some fuel down the venturi of the carb, assuming you have ignition this should usually cause the engine to fire which as a rule will shock the needle loose without the need to strip the carb down