New sport model

Niall Reynolds

I built an Acrowot from scratch as my first low winger and on advice from a former RCM&E columnist fitted an OS55AX. It wasn't a vertical hotliner but a very nice model to fly. When I moved on I put the 55AX into another airframe - The smaller Revolver! I still have that model and the engine is now in a Sebart Wind S....

I recently advised a pal to buy the Acrowot ARTF and fit an OS 55AX; I maidened his model earlier this year and on the same day another pal's new Acrowot fitted with an SC52. Both flew nicely and were as tame as my pals wanted them to be....

Niall buy an OS 55 AX and fly your acrowot on low to middle throttle settings until you become comfortable at higher speeds: at full chat it will be quick but not ridiculous! ENJOY!

Can't go far wrong with an Acrowot ARTF, but don't assume its manufactured completely perfectly, particularly check the wing incidence - mine came out at -1deg and needed a couple of mm of up elevator as basic trim until I realised this and packed down the TE with some ply to achieve the correct +0.5deg!

Mine's great with an ASP 70 (wot David Ashby reckoned in his Youtube review) with a wide enough range of speed/power available, and I fitted very slightly larger wheels to cope with our patch.

PS - having said that, it would be great to have a shortlist of other ARTF contenders....

Edited By Jonathan M on 08/09/2017 10:37:18

Seagull i-sport 61, lovely slow flyer quite aerobatic and it has flaps to play with, mine has a laser 80 in it. Seagull spacewalker the 46 - 55 sized one again lovely stable flyer, aeros better than the i-sport, mine has a saito 62 in it.

Both these models are superior in most ways to the BH super air, as I've had one of those, too and tbh wouldn't give you tuppence for one.

Best of the bunch kit built acrowot or wot 4 I have never flown the artf versions but these models really do defy comparison.

My little wot 4 mk 3 has gone on a weight saving regime and cuts the scales at a smidgen under 4 lbs old money, irvine 39 and 10x5 apc together with 15% liquid gold and it has unlimited vertical, it flies well in the wind too, as the last few days have shown to me.

I love the Acrowot, don't think there is a better sport model out there, so much so that I've built 5 so far and have an unstarted kit for my sixth. in the garage.

I had a Magnum Pro 45 in my first one, and that needed a pipe to perform properly (about 1989 though - engines might have come on a bit...)

Then I went for a 70 Surpass 4 stroke in my second and found that to be overweight and if not exactly under-powered, at least a little slow.

OS61SF however was as near perfect as i think you'll get, had similarly good results with a Thunder Tiger Pro 61 too.

Having said a ll that, suspect the ARTF is lighter than my kit builds, and I am a great believer in the OS55AX too, I think that would be plenty powerful enough and light as well.

Its also a fair point that I like to fly in a "spirited" fashion, and our strip is on fairly high, exposed moorland, so I do like to be able to cut through the weather as well.

What about a Pegasus (Galaxy) Models 'Magician'? - might just interest you - right size etc. Being a trad' UK model manufacturer you're unlikely to lose the u/c and associated supporting structures the first time you make a fast-ish landing - unlike Far Eastern produced ARTFs predominantly designed for the bowling green or Tarmac strips that seem to be de rigeur in their main market - the US of A. (& Europe ?)

I run an OS 55AX and tuned pipe in my Acrowot and it goes very fast . It had an OS 80 FSA in it before. It's a fair bit faster with the piped 55, although acceleration from lower speeds is slower due to smaller prop. I used to run a14x6 on the OS FSA80 but now use an 11x7 on the 55AX. If I were buying a new engine for an Acrowot I would probably choose a Laser 70 , or an OS 65 AX ( which I would probably run without tuned pipe) to keep it simpler.

Posted by Niall Reynolds on 07/09/2017 11:26:12:
Hi guys
OK so I have the following in my hangar
Bixler
Nova 40
Eflite timber.
After about 15 years of the nova being layer up i got it up and running again.
I just love glow engines!!!
I am looking to get a new sports model with a glow engine or any engine.
I can get a revolver 59 inch for good money airframe only.
Would this be a good choice?
I would love your recommendation please!!
Thanks
From this OP Niall, we have gone from too fast, overpowered, ARTF, homebuild etc etc etc
If you were my novice, from your " flown list ", we would be getting the Blackhorse Super Air
And fitting a .46 to make the next logical step

I reckon an acrowot will fly with any motor. My first kit built one flew on an SC 4 stroke. It flew well but not crazy fast very pleasant to fly never the less. I broke it when the field boundary moved about 20 yards east ( plate tectonics or something) After the rebuild it had an Irvine 61 briefly, old silver one. It flew perfectly on that but way too noisy so I put an SC61 in it perfect match, magnificent engine and I flew it for years bags of power but not crazy. Foolishly I sold it and its new owner put a 46 in That guy is a brilliant flyer and could fly the book with the 46 in it Just no justification for anything bigger. I now have an artf acrowot and have an asp70 four stroke in it. More than enough poke I think if I were to buy another together with engine I would buy an SC52

Edited By gangster on 20/09/2017 16:22:19

I flew my acrowot today to test an AX55 which I have just serviced for a club member. WOW is all I can say. Used an apc 11x6, and 12% nitro. As much power as I would say it can take comfortably, and behaved itself impeccably.

I have had an asp 52 (same as the SC). All I can say is don't, just don't. The asp 46 runs acceptably, but the 52 is a dogs breakfast. If this is the engine you want, get an electric motor instead.