New sport model

Niall Reynolds

Advert

Nial. The answer to you question is YES, kit built models are stronger than ARTFs. Mainly because of the way they are designed. In ye olden days you built a kit, flew it and crashed it. Then you had to rebuild it. So it made sense to build it strong in the first place. With an ARTF you buy it. Fly it. Crash it and then buy a new one No building skills required. This suits people who are cash rich and time poor. It also benefits the people who don't have the capabilities to build their own, oh and the Far East economies.

I have no axe to grind against ARTFs, as they offer opportunities to people who want to fly. I myself enjoy the building part of our hobby as much as the flying. This goes back to when I was a kid at school and we made things.

These days hand/eye coordination in education seems to only involve moving a cursor around a screen. Other coordinated education appears to involve hitting a ball with something, either body part, or stick of some sorts, Though if you are musically inclined, you might be lucky and someone show an interest in you(as long as you can prove you won't hurt yourself)

wink 2

Sorry, but I can't find a "cynical old git" emoji.

Richard Sorry to hear that you have not had much luck with sc/asp engines. Your experience is totally different to mine. Perhaps you do not have faith in them and as a result have not persevered with set up. I bought my first one for a boat for which I did not want to spend much, brilliant. My first aero one was bought when I could not get an Irvine 61. I was so impressed. I have bought no other make since both 2 and 4 stroke of many sizes. I have been flying an old hack for 2 years with an eBay £20 sc46. Perfect throttling and not a single dead stick in dozens of flights. Just put in a 52 of similar origin into the hack to try out the engine and get a bit more power. No issues with that either. Incidentally neither engine would run when I bought them due to the previous owner playing with the idle screw.

I have a few Sanye motors, 46 and 91 2 stroke, which are pretty good, a 61 and a 91 4 stroke which are fantastic, and a 180 4 stroke, which was a pain to get right but is now brilliant. Just the 52 I have had problems with, and believe me I spent some serious time with it as the other have been good. Problem was even though you could set the needles to idle and full power great, it had a hugely rich transition, we are talking slobbering 4 stroking from 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Even an OS carb didn't solve it, and lots of research suggests to me i'm not the only one to suffer. Maybe it is because there is no OS 52 for them to copy... I would say the Sanye line are great budget motors, I would just stay away from the 52, maybe they have been improved now, maybe I just got a really bad one.

Niall, have a look at the Seagull Pilatus PC-9 (ic version). It's a superb 46 size low wing semi-scale aerobat. Seagull quality is excellent and you can use all the hardware. Also, it's covered in genuine Oracover (Ultracote). It has a thick built up wing so flys beautifully, fast or slow. Most importantly - it's rugged.

I flew mine with an Irvine 53, a 46 would be just as good.

There are a couple of .52s down at our field Richard and I have found tuning them that they benefit from what you would call a lean low end needle.

When a motor is at tick over, this is a very small portion of the flight and not usually sustained for long periods.

This logic, and the fact that there is enough oil in the fuel, even at tickover

Lead me to close the low needle more and ultimately find a transition improvement on this size motor

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/09/2017 07:21:58

I couldn't see from the article what is the wingspan of the Maricardo (which looks at first sight not dissimilar to the Gangster), so a quick search threw up a 2010 review in the mag by Alex Whittaker: **LINK** from which the following data is stated:

Wingspan: 56''
Wing area: 600 sq. in.
All-up weight: Originally 5.5 – 6 lb, but less with modern equipment
Rec’d engine range: .35 – .40 two-stroke

My next autumn project (after my current two indoor scale models are complete for November competition) will be to build the Gangster 63 Lite (OS 35AX)

If Mick Reeves can post to the US, then might the OP be interested in this fast-building kit option?

Niall, yes the Gangster 63 Lite, which has a nose-wheel configuration. 63" span but AUW of about 4lbs, so a lower wing-loading than the Maricado (thus not needing a huge engine). Available direct from Mick Reeves for £85, plus delivery. Worst website in the universe but a very crisp laser-cut kit with a very complete pack of accessories. You'll find it half-way down this page: **LINK**

gangster 63 ad.jpg

I'm surprised there aren't more traditional RC kits available in the US?! At the smaller FF, stick and tissue end of the hobby, there are still plenty of US companies making a wide variety of kits.

Niall

First decide on what model, then choose the right engine for it. If it is, for example, the Acrowot ARTF, then you'll need the IC pack (rather than the electric pack) to complete it, which includes fuel tank, engine mount with screws, spinner and complete throttle linkage. Everything else for the basic airframe and control-linkages is already in the box.

You'll also need radio tx and rx, 5 servos, battery, switch, plus the usual assortment of adhesives (e.g. thin CA for the hinges), fuel-proofer, etc.

The most useful thing you can do is first read the PDF instructions for the Acrowot ARTF, available (as is the rest of the spec and requirements) on this page: **LINK**

Jon

PS What was that model you were flying at the weekend, and what engine?

• 3 weeks later...