Design & Build Dornier Do 24

Robert Parker

Hi Robert,

Fine that you tried the 'Freddie Sauce'... and glad that you liked it. yes

Regarding the sanding, I try to sand outdoors by preference. If not, I tend to use it 'wet' with some plaster sanding pads which work a threat on large curved surfaces.

When applied on fiber glassed balsa, I also pigment the 'sauce' with a contrasting acrylic colour - usually light grey - to help as a guide for sanding.

Looking forward to seeing some result pics, young man.

Cheers

Chris

Hi All,

Well the rain clouds have moved on since my last post and I have given the fuselage a coat of primer / filler and also given the wings some of "freddie's sauce".

dsc07391.jpg

dsc07390.jpg

I must say that I am well pleased in how much stiffness the glass fibre have added to the fuselage. I did not use poly C on the fuse as I did on the wings as the balsa still has got some give in it, so I opted to apply the glass with 50% watered down pva. I know I have added more weight but she will be landing on grass.

I'm giving the final colour scheme some thought and considering the dutch or spanish schemes but nothing cast in stone at present.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Having had a break for two weeks summer hols down in Sunny St. Ives in Cornwall, it's time to get back and do a bit more to the Dornier.

Today I have painted the final coat of paint.

dsc07698.jpg

dsc07699.jpg

dsc07700.jpg

I now have to make the cockpit hatch and the three cowls and the three turrets the latter will be a bit tricky.

Now that the top coat is on the wings don't look too bad.

As this model is coming to completion I am thinking what next to build I want to build a plan / kit next and have three that are in my mind at present.

First there is the Dancing Wings DR1 at 60" span with a four stroke up front. From three motors to three wings

Second, a Veron Avro 504 IC poweredavro 504 a.jpg

And finally, a Cessna 02A a plan built model with a span of 51" single 40 upfront I did think about twin electric but being hand launched thought it a too risky with the fingers on release. This one has been in and out of my to build lists for years after watching Bat 21.

b21.jpg

All very different aircraft, still have some time before I make my final decision.

Back to the Dornier, next will be the cowls, turrets and cockpit hatch and weigh her to see if I have hit my target of 9lbs or gone over and order up the decals.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

I swear I've not been lazy, Robert. angel

I'm afraid I went back to an other of my hobbies being acrylic canvas painting. As I got an invitation for an exhibition at the end of 2018, I did spend my spring (& summer) at handling brushes and paint tubes...

And, yes Vicky is basicly built. Wing and tailplanes are ready to cover, the fuse needs its servos & pushrods positioned, battery hatch and floor to be added, etc... as they say > "80% ready, just 60% to go"...

I'm about to start the restoration of a crashed vintage Graupner glider now, but the Vicky will be next in line fore the winter months...

Cheers

Chris

Posted by McG 6969 on 08/09/2019 18:53:43:

I swear I've not been lazy, Robert. angel

I'm afraid I went back to an other of my hobbies being acrylic canvas painting. As I got an invitation for an exhibition at the end of 2018, I did spend my spring (& summer) at handling brushes and paint tubes...

And, yes Vicky is basicly built. Wing and tailplanes are ready to cover, the fuse needs its servos & pushrods positioned, battery hatch and floor to be added, etc... as they say > "80% ready, just 60% to go"...

I'm about to start the restoration of a crashed vintage Graupner glider now, but the Vicky will be next in line fore the winter months...

Cheers

Chris

What Graupner glider are you restoring?

My electric Cessna O2 (Vietnam special ops,52" span) worked extremely well and the rear prop was no problem on a hand launch,

Complete

My fore finger and thumb could only just span the fuselage at the strut joint so were reasonably clear of the rear prop during the launch action.

I actually made it so the front prop could be switched off in flight to reduce the risk of prop damage in the belly landing.

The all black stood out really well at altitude.

Hi Shaun,

I inherited the crashed Graupner with quite a lot of damage to the wing and tailplanes with the initial idea to use it as a test bench to practise my covering 'lack of skills'.

The previous owner told me it was a Graupner Bussard from the early nineties. Mine has a 1800mm wingspan but following the info I found the different Bussards were all 2000mm... so, at the moment, I have no real idea what model it could be.

As the fuselage - being blown moulded PP - is still OK, I recently decided to restore it and possibly make it fly instead of using it as a simple covering test.

Some more research will be needed and as soon as I can make some time, I'll start the project...

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a quick update, I have made the cockpit / hatch and made a start on the turrets and at long last made the diagonal brace between the fus and wings.

Decals are homemade and applied all control linkages have been done

Photos to follow if it ever stops raining

All that is left to do is a final two solder connections (need a new soldering iron old one just packed up) and I think were done.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

The Dornier is all but finished smiley and the sun came out this morning so I hastily put the model together and took some photos.

dsc07702.jpg

The cowls

dsc07704.jpg

A perfect fit just a coat of paint to go

dsc07710.jpg

I went for the Dutch scheme in the end. The turrets were made from layers of balsa strip glued on a balsa disc and then sanded to fit the fuselage

dsc07712.jpg

With all that grey paint I wanted something bright so I could pick out the model against the grey skies we so often have here in Wales

dsc07716.jpg

dsc07715.jpg

The canopy / battery hatch

Just a few more little jobs to do and she is ready to take to the skies.

I also weighed her and she came out at under target weight by a few ounces, so all up weight is 8.9lbs or 4.05kg so I will re-check the CoG not wanting a repeat of my Condor's maiden flight.

Overall I have enjoyed building her although this year has been a bit of a struggle to get in to it at times just hope she flies smiley

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Very nice model you have done there and a tricky subject.

Well Done.

This is my Cessna 02a also inspired after watching Bat 21.

I added flaps to mine although i did not realize at the time they are not split Flaps.

Its a Royal Kit powered by two OS 48 Fs.

Steve.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 06/10/2019 11:37:02