Design & Build Dornier Do 24

Robert Parker

Hello Robert,

Just found your thread. I have deep resprect for your devotion to this project. Making a design for a this aircraft without and limited reference is very challenging without cad.

Currently i'm working on a 1/10th scale Do24k. I did many research to make my design as scale accurate as possible. Im am willing to share my archive with you. If you like this please sent me a pm.

Here is a link to my thead on RcGroups : **LINK**

Below are some pictures of my project.

Bart

Davey, Bart said 1/10th scale, so I make that a span of 8ft 10in, in 'old money'

This is a fabulous project, the cad drawings could be framed and hung on your wall (although my wife might have something to say about that teeth !

Some lovely drawings Robert, looking forward to following the build. I remember seeing a model DO24 in RM magazine many years ago, of about six foot span. It was powered with a single glow two stroke, the outer two faux engines just windmilling in the breeze. How things have moved on...

Hi All,

Managed to do the sponsons today as well as some shopping.

dsc03282.jpg

dsc03280.jpg

i moved the rear tube forwards as the rib was too thin for my original position and I have kept it the diameter as the front.

dsc03279.jpg

Bought the cowls, perfect diameter with a good radius on the bottom with a nice thick wall. I used these for my FW 200 Condor.

dsc03283.jpg

dsc00142.jpg

which when painted look the part

dsc00109.jpg

I had hoped to get a lot more done over the weekend but time has just gone.

That's all for now

Next, the wing ribs

Regards

Robert

Nice work Robert ,

Carefull with the sponsoon profile. It is very importand to keep it 100 scale. If the sponsoon profile is wrong the hull will never get on the step becuase of the suction in the water.

The bottom has to be as on the drawing below. The red line is the angle of the bottom in relation to the keel.

Cheers,

Bart

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have had several distractions that have taken me away from the Dornier, most of which have been completed (wife had a list of jobs to be done before xmas) so paint brushes washed and put away.

I have just ordered up the balsa and ply. I'm hoping to start building just after xmas.

That's all fro now

Regards

Robert

Thank you both.

I have now finished the drawings and hope to get them copied tomorrow or early next week.

dsc03337.jpg

Finally got round to doing the wing ribs.

dsc03345.jpg

I think I have ordered a bit more than I need but then it gives me choice.

I have got a little repair job todo before I start the Dornier, my Cat lost a couple of it's lives recently

dsc03344.jpg

Should not take too long I've be meaning to do it for a few weeks, now it's on the bench and I want to start the Dornier, the wings had very little damage despite cartwheeling in.

That's all for now.

Regards

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

And a Happy New Year to you all,

The Catalina is off the bench just needing some final finishing and a bit of paint.

I have made a start on the Dornier over the past day or two, cutting out all of the parts from balsa and ply it took longer than I thought but this afternoon I finished cutting them all out and now I have a kit ready to start building.

dsc03625.jpg

Wings and nacelle parts, I'll cut out the flaps and ailerons later so I don't loose them

dsc03632.jpg

Fuselage components including sponsons

dsc03633.jpg

Finally the tail group, I decided to make the fins solid and the rudders being built up. This is where I'll be starting hopefully tomorrow.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Got the tail group sorted after a bit of a slow start where I was doubting my drawing, once I got going it came along nicely.

dsc03634.jpg I had to open out a couple of notches for the spars

dsc03644.jpg

The fin and rudders went well

dsc03636.jpg

Took my time with the rudder linkage, the servo is mounted below the underside of the wing. I will put an access hatch above later

dsc03637.jpg

Close up of the Turnigy servo. I will use a paired back electrical connector block to join the push rods and when happy solder them together

dsc03638.jpg

The brass tube squashed one end and drilled to suit the clevis

dsc03639.jpg

Pinned in place and loose hinges to see that it works and that it did with a small amount of hole enlargement on the last rib.

dsc03643.jpg

Rudder with horn in place

dsc03642.jpg

Underside

dsc03641.jpg

Close up of the servo mounting

That's as far as I have got so far.

Next, is to fit the remaining push rod and fit the top sheeting round the leading edge and glue the fins on

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Just a quick update,

Rudder linkages completed, tailplane top sheeted, and profiled, fins glued in position and elevators hinged and sheeted.

dsc03841.jpg

Rudders pinned in position whilst push rods finalised.

dsc03842.jpg

Top sheeting done (other side) fins glued in position. It was a great help with the back edges of the fins and tailplane lining up with each other. I drew a line for the underside of the tailplane and marked the centres of the fins and squared off the tailplane line so they are all square with each other and the bench.

dsc03843.jpg

Top view.

Next I will finish off the elevators and give the whole assembly a coat of sanding sealer ans the wood is bruising easily.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert