Design & Build Dornier Do 24

Robert Parker

Hi All,

I have made a tentative start on the fuselage and all started well until I started placing the formers in position. Somehow I have managed to make some them too short only 3mm or so and I have re-made a part plus I feel that I need to have an additional former just in front of the tailplane as the transition form ovalish to square does not seem to work when I tried to bend a scrap piece of 1/16th let alone a piece of 3/32nd.

All I have done is dry fitted so far so alterations can easily be done, so this is challenge no1.

Overall I am pleased with the look. The 1/4 sq balsa is just placed and the formers will be notched to accommodate it, I will also be adding another in the forward section and join the two.

dsc03844.jpg

Plan laid out ready to start.

dsc03845.jpg

Most of the front formers turned out too short, I'll have to re-make those as well as......

dsc03846.jpg

....add a new former as indicated by the pen and re-made K6(top right)

dsc03847.jpg

Same position on the model perhaps not showing in to much detail the change from curvature to straight below the tailplane and then going to a curve on the underside.

This will slow me down a little while I draw a new former and re-make some others, all part of the fun.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

I considered building a Dornier flying boat, as they seem to be the dogs thingies to look at.

It was one with a parallel chord wing, and a push me pull you engine arrangement. The body was to be Blue Foam.

Then you come along and show how it should be done.angrycrying 2

It is greatangry 2

I considered building a Dornier flying boat, as they seem to be the dogs thingies to look at.

It was one with a parallel chord wing, and a push me pull you engine arrangement. The body was to be Blue Foam.

It is greatangry 2

It is greatangry 2

As part of part of my preparation to build a model, I like to get my hands on a bit of background information. Not strictly data as such, more history. To that ends I bought a small booklet, a bit like mag in size, from a local second hand book shop. This turned out to be a PR pub., more about what a wonderful company is, its strong innovative history. A lot about the "X" or 10, a bit about the side sponsons as a innovative design feature. Then nothing about many of the Dorniers many of us recognise, other than some was planes were produced. Then loads about the wonderful 27 etc and their major contribution to satellites. That went in the bin.

I have William Greens "War Planes of WW2", by then it was all tapered wings etc.

I have never seen a Plastic kit as you have, Which I do think is useful, showing detail contours etc, which 3 view drawings at small scale cannot show.

I must confess that anything approaching absolute accuracy is not my thing.

I certainly do not have your level of skill and commitment to produce a work of art.

I always think, yes, I will crash it, it is just when. No point in committing my soul and breaking my heart, because this view allows me to not be to embarrassed when others look at my models.embarrassed

Keep going as I am envious and enjoy this build.

Hi Erfolg,

Thank you for your kind comments, I tend not to think of any unscheduled arrivals shall we say, yes I do get annoyed when they do happen, but having made them they can be repaired hopefully.

Think positive it will fly.

After reading your post I looked on Ebay and although there are no plastic kits available, I did find a set of plans for sale from the USA of a 1/14th scale from amahobby, DORNIER DO-18K1 scratch build R/c Seaplane Plans 66.5 in. wing span yes

The finished model looks good

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

I have made the first fuselage side and ended up making another additional former near the tail to keep the lines flowing smoothly.

dsc03848.jpg

All glued up and added the 1/4sq longerons

dsc03849.jpg

The additional formers in place

dsc03850.jpg

Jointing the longerons and the 1/2"sq wing support in position

dsc03852.jpg

dsc03853.jpg

My way of getting around a little problem. I decided to add some ply to support the phenolic wing tubing for the sponsons and needed to mark the centre on the ply so I came up with this

dsc03854.jpg

I added some 3/32nd sq to help support the planking.

dsc03855.jpg

The end result.

So that is one side done, once this had dried I'll make the other

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 21/01/2018 19:11:03

Edited By Robert Parker on 21/01/2018 19:16:28

Hi All,

Second fuselage side built, this time I managed to make a small mistake and cut the cabane support timber off after gluing it in place sadand had to fit a new one all done now smiley, another senior moment

Clamped the two sides together and placed the tail assembly on top and she is looking good.

dsc03856.jpg

After the photo was taken I realised my mistake of cutting the cabane support flush with the rear former,thinking of weight saving sad

dsc03857.jpg

Coming together nicely

dsc03859.jpg

I think I may have to alter the shape slightly of the former second behind the cockpit, a tricky point there where just behind the cockpit the top of the fuselage is almost flat and during transitions to circular over the next two bays. I'll wait and see how it looks with some dry sheeting first.

Next, i'll join the sides together and have a go at making the cabane struts and set up the sponson support tubes, this could be fun.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well this last week has been a bit slow in progress with one step forwards and three back. That said, the fuselage has been joined and the cabane struts made and made again and again, finally got there as well as changing from steel to aluminium, a considerable weight saving.

So not too many photos this time

dsc03863.jpg

FAIL

dsc03864.jpg

Attempt no1, the first bend went OK but when I formed the second it pulled the base shorter, try again. Metalwork is not my strong point.

dsc03917.jpg

Attempt 3, much easier to form using the aluminium, these are just sitting in place.

Since the photo was taken I have positioned these correctly and bolted them in place and wedged a ruler across the top and checked for alignment with the fuselage centre, spot on. Then removed them and glued up the sides then had to place the struts in position whilst offering up the sides and then clamping up the sides.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Thank you both, it is taking hold of me, as they do, all those curves, planking them well that could be interesting to say the least.

I have another subject in the pipeline which I have started drawing but still in the very early stages plus another subject just keeps popping up in to my mind.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

It's been a difficult week for me, my sciatica has returned again so I'm off work again, but unable to stand or sit for very long so my modelling has been done in short bursts until the pain is too much. I have also had tried aquapuncture for the first time to try to help but still not much improvement with two sessions or am I trying to rush it. Plus to assist the pain relief some red wine has been administered, not really recommended but it helps for a relatively good nights sleep.

I have fixed the cabane struts in place and epoxied the bolts so hopefully nothing is going to move there. The sponsons support tubes guides are fixed in place started planking the fuselage and fixed the tail group in position.

dsc03916.jpg

dsc03921.jpg

Setting up the sponson guides needed a little fettling to get the tubes parallel with each other and square to the fuselage. Once happy the guides were epoxied in place.

dsc03918.jpg

Jumping ahead slightly, I placed the sponson ribs in place, roughly spaced, and I was pleased that they lined up nicely all bar one which needed a slight adjustment and they aligned with the fuselage side being just above the chine line.

dsc03922.jpg

An odd angle of the top of the fuselage facing towards the bottom of the picture, planking started with a block glued in front of the stabiliser seat. The planking has been soaked in water and then persuaded around the compound curve and are fitted in pairs to try to avoid twisting the fus. This part of the planking is going to take some time until I get around the compound curve.

I finally made a decision on how / where to mount the elevator servo. I was hoping to keep it hidden but I settled for just the arm and linkage showing.

dsc03923.jpg

I realised today that I needed to glue in place the tail group as it would be difficult to get it set up correctly by keeping the fuselage centre square to the worktop and taking measurements at both ends again a little fettling of the seat was needed to get the measurements equal.

Next, carry on planking and run in some pull cords for the rudder, elevator servos and power cables.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert