Removing troublesome screws

Adrian Smith 1

I have been puzzling over how to remove the screw that attaches the servo arm to the servo spline. The trouble is the screw head is a quite soft metal and the slots have become distorted to the point no screw driver I have will turn the screw anti-clockwise to undo it. Anybody got a favourite method to solve this?

frown

Advert

If you don't mind damaging the servo arm, then the easiest method is probably to use a junior hacksaw blade or needle file to gently create a slot in the screw. Then use a normal flat bladed screwdriver to undo it.

The other option is to drill out the screw head using a hand drill. This is more tedious, but I would avoid using a power drill to avoid damaging the gears!

Strangely enough, I've just had to do this with a brand new Hitec Servo! The screw was fitted so tight that the "cheesium" it was made from gave up before the screw budged!

The junior hacksaw blade method described by Wright Stuff above works a treat, and luckily, I had a very old Hitec servo in my junkbox with a failed motor that provided a replacement arm and screw.

I've never had this problem with JR or Futaba servos, but come to that, its the first time its happened with a Hitec as well! The servo was one of a pair bought for a restoration project, and the second one was very stiff to get out as well, though it did eventually move just before the screw gave up the ghost.....!

--

Pete

Boil some water and keep it boiling. Hold your screwdriver tip in the water for a minute or two. Then apply the end to the screw head for a while whilst applying torque and pressure to the screwhead . If that doesn't move it carefully make the blade hotter with flame or by holding it flat to your iron smoothio here ( smoothing/ domestic iron ) or hold a soldering iron on the screw head but beware. This could damage the stub and arm. Don't hold it on too long before using your screwy.Same with domestic iron tip too. Good luck

Posted by onetenor on 02/10/2017 16:48:11:

Boil some water and keep it boiling. Hold your screwdriver tip in the water for a minute or two. Then apply the end to the screw head for a while whilst applying torque and pressure to the screwhead . If that doesn't move it carefully make the blade hotter with flame or by holding it flat to your iron smoothio here ( smoothing/ domestic iron ) or hold a soldering iron on the screw head but beware. This could damage the stub and arm. Don't hold it on too long before using your screwy.Same with domestic iron tip too. Good luck

These can be used on any screws including wood screws

What is of particular interest is the reference to Phillip-head (JIS) screws. As far as I'm aware, JIS drivers are significantly different from Phillips (and for that matter, Posidriv) - if they are JIS it may explain why people are having problems with damaged screw heads...

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/10/2017 18:27:16

The chances are if they were metal output splines on the servos that loctite had been used I have used loctite and use the heated tip of a screwdriver to loosen the said loctite. You can also get screws with an allen key head. Personally nowadays I go the belt and braces route and use the Hangar 9 arms which utilise the hold down screw and pinch bolts as well

Posted by Ultymate on 02/10/2017 20:39:02:

The chances are if they were metal output splines on the servos that loctite had been used I have used loctite and use the heated tip of a screwdriver to loosen the said loctite. You can also get screws with an allen key head. Personally nowadays I go the belt and braces route and use the Hangar 9 arms which utilise the hold down screw and pinch bolts as well

me too, nice piece of kit yes if I do not use them I use a tiny amount of loctite.

Edited By Rich too on 03/10/2017 08:21:57