Necessity is....

cymaz

Thought I would share this little gem..

I've always had a tiny bit of trouble hand starting my Evo 20gx2. The problem was that it doesn't have a proper choke. Putting my thumb over it was all well and good but I usually gave up and put the electric starter on to draw up the fuel.

Yesterday I forgot my starter so when arriving at the field there was some invective muttering under my breath. How was I going to start the Evo 20 without drawing up the fuel without a starter? I could have used a club mates but it suddenly struck me that all I needed was a cap over the carb. Richard ( a practising electrician ) arrived in his works van. He had a rummage through his work boxes and came up with a 20mm blanking grommet. Perfect fit !!yes

Now I have a perfect dust cap when the plane is in the garage and the tiny hole in it is just enough to let a bit of air in to choke the engine and start it by hand..laugh

carb cap 2.jpg

Any one else had a brain storm?? Please feel free photo

Advert

Posted by Nicky Strahan on 03/12/2017 19:33:41:

img_0907.jpg

Thats it, my rejuvenated 43 year old Black Magic with OS 26 four stroke and JR 35mhz radio (both 28 years old)

She's a beauty Nicky.

I've always had a soft spot for the Black Magic, which was my first R/C job in the early '60's. Bought ready built by my Dad, we made and fitted a Hill 2-valve Rx, with rudder-only control via a Ripmax Mactuator escapement. Power was an Elfin 2.49 diesel. The radio wasn't always reliable, unlike the Elfin which was, and I fondly remember chasing the thing for miles around West Yorkshire!

Gordon

Posted by Rob Ashley on 03/12/2017 21:11:09:
Cymaz. Have you tried choking the exhaust and flipping the prop to prime? I start my EVO 20 by doing this. With ign off clearly. Then once primed ign on and fire away.

Er...no..blush I will try that. Thanks

Cymaz, another thing to try is to quickly rock the prop backwards and forwards by twisting the spinner backwards and forwards. Works on all but 1 of my gassers to draw the fuel up to the carb. Another thing to try is fitting a one way fuel valve in the feed near the carb (Just Engines sell them) that keeps a bit of fuel in the line which then makes it easier to choke.

Posted by Ron Gray on 03/12/2017 22:31:25:

Cymaz, another thing to try is to quickly rock the prop backwards and forwards by twisting the spinner backwards and forwards. Works on all but 1 of my gassers to draw the fuel up to the carb. Another thing to try is fitting a one way fuel valve in the feed near the carb (Just Engines sell them) that keeps a bit of fuel in the line which then makes it easier to choke.

I do prop rocking , and it works ! As Ihave a fuel filter near the carb that’s enough breaks in the line for me...

Hope to see a few more great inventive solutions from other peeps

• 3 weeks later...