Electric motor for WOT4

Dave Potter

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all and Happy New year. Trying to put an electric motor on a Gentle Lady but am confused on the rating as published. The AXI says 25A30s. Does this really mean I can only pull 25 amps for 30 seconds? This probably would be fine to launch the GL, but I could not use it to fly an airplane. No guidance on lower amps. Could I run it at 12 amps for how much longer ? I'll do some bench testing to see how hot it gets and how long it takes to cool off. Lower throttle setting and smaller prop to lower amp/watt draw, of course. What are people putting on gentle ladies for launching? Thanks, Bob C

Bob

Yes in the specifications 25A30S does mean a max current of 25 amps for 30 seconds. I presume you are using an AXI 2814/20? If so the recommended current range is 8-17amps see the specification tab here.

If you use the recommended 12x6.5 prop on a 3S battery you should find that it pulls about 15 amps and so can be used indefinitely.

AXI motors are excellent & I'm still using the first one I bought about 13 years ago and several other since. Your proposed bench testing should give reassurance but if you are intending to continue with electric flight there is really no substitute to investing in a watt meter to measure the current draw that is dependent on the multitude of prop/motor/ESC/battery variables.

Dave, I can't match most of the foregoing on technical depth of knowledge but I'm flying an ARTF Wot 4 into which I can just smuggle a 5000 mah 4S LiPo and with the fairly standard Ripmax motor (Rimfire 40?) it balances fine with no ballast, climbs out of sight, flies 8 or 9 mins to about 40% battery and flies slowly enough to land without constantly breaking the u/c bolts.

It's known as a Watt 5.

I do recall having ordered a high-ish capacity esc which has an arming switch, could be a Jeti, and my helpful electrically-astute club mates made me limit the throttle setting to prevent auto-immolation

If of interest, I'll check its components when I return from foreign parts and give you a list and probably I ought to weigh it too. To be honest it flies so well I'm not too bothered what the labels say.

Dave check out the emax range seem good value. BRC supply them and are super helpful as well. Something like a 2820 07 on a 4s. Or alternatively an overlander 3548. I use both set ups in a number of models of wot 4 size with props between 12x6 and 13x8. 600 to 700 watts

Bob,

Here is my set up. Wonderful model, a joy to fly.

img_2101.jpgGentle lady finished about a month ago waiting for suitable weather to maiden.

No excuses this weekend just gone. 14 degrees and 7 mph wind.

Hand launched by a fellow member on 3/4 throttle saw it climbing away nearly vertically so shed loads of down dialled in. I could immediately see why this is such a popular model. A doddle to fly and with modern equipment giving an AUW of 30 ounces it was easy to stooge around for ten minutes getting the feel of it.

Will need to add a fair amount of downthrust on the motor for next time out. In the meantime I trimmed it for optimum glide chucked it in the air again and floated around for a full 24 minutes before landing with stilll 45 percent in the lipo.(2200mah 3s) it doesn't really need such a large battery and originally I had intended to place it forward of the wing but c of g considerations forced me to make room under the wing.

For anyone temped the plan is available on Outerzone and here are the technical details.

Motor : Turnigy park 450 890kv

Propeller : 10x 6. Hobbyking folding

Receiver : Orange r410x

Servos : Towerpro mg90d

Esc : Hobbyking 20amp ubec

Covering : Hobbyking film

• 3 months later...

So - current version ARTF Wot4 with what I think is an E-Flite 46 or equivalent, 4S 4500mAh LiPos, 13*8 APC-E. I had just one flight yesterday, mostly gentle pottering about and relaxed aerobatics, finally landing when the nice lady in my Horus tx told me I'd used up 3900mAh. I glanced at the timer after taxying back to the flightline fence, then I looked. 22 minutes. Admittedly my IC version was faster and probably a tad lighter giving a more adreneline fuelled experience but 20+ minutes out of the lecky beast was a bit of a shock!

I'll hook the tx to my laptop later and see if I recorded the current on the flight log, that should be interesting.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 07/05/2018 10:00:24