Chris's Vicomte 1916

Hello to all,

Hi Paul,

The only thing I know about the origin of the card is the République Française post stamp. indecision

But then, if I recall correctly, there were no palm trees at all at the Torremolinos seafront. Only a black gravel/sandy beach with an enormous black rock at the western end. Correct?

This might possibly be the result of an overdose of local spirits at the time I was there ages ago, or a very similar experience you had more recently... angel

Anyhow, as we're just back in BE, I must admit I'm still a bit in 'ouzo-mode'.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Detox Control

Advert

Hi Chris good to hear you had a good holiday I am sure the ouzo fog will soon clear wink. I think the black sand beaches will be in tenerife canary islands lots of volcanic activity took place in that area, in torremolinos there are so many sun beds and sun shades on the beach you can hardly see any sand at all smile d.

Paul.

Hi gents,

Great starting grid, David. yes

I noticed your Baron on the second row to the right and glad you could bring it home out of the Coupe's chaos.

Not totally sure about Vicky's look yet, but it will be a basic Solartex 'natural' or 'linen' covering with some kind of contrast to the wooden parts at the 'surface'. I still have some testing to do before I make a choice.

Crete was great, Paul. As usual, I would say.

I seemed to remember the Torremolinos beach had some 'dark' sand, but then I must have been in 'sangria-mode' at the time. blush

Pretty sure though the beach 'ends' against a huge rock at the western end. Please, don't tell me now that was my 'cerveza-mode'... cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Beach Control

Hi to all,

The good news of the day is that I’m ‘mobile’ again. The car body shop did a very good - but quite expensive tough - job as the car just looks as if it were only one year old. Mind you it’s a 12 years old A3… blush

When arriving at La Grotte, I was surprised finding the mess I left prior to our leaving for the sun.

So, a large cleaning session was needed prior to a small progress with Vicky. frown

I would like to test some staining to the open structures and also decide afterwards between using ‘linen’ or ‘natural’ Solartex.

554_vic_stainingtest01_900.jpg

No worries about the balsa grain direction, gents. I just made a pseudo stab from some scrap bits of the JVM kit for my testing purposes keeping it as symmetrical as I could. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Scrap Control

Just caught up with your blog McG.....Stunning pics of the rib detail etc....I have said this before, but it's almost a shame to cover up such pretty woodwork. I am using more and more translucent films (cheap as Chips from HK) to cover my models. they look great with the Sun shining thru them..

Keep up the fantastic workmanship.

D.D.

Thank you for your kind comment, Dwain.

I thought about the same regarding hiding that woodwork. crying

A lot of French Barons are covered the translucent way.

baron 1914.jpg

Above is the Ecotop Baron ARTF in yellow but obtainable in red as well.

Looking nice but lacking a lot of periodical realism IMHO. I would like to use a Solartex covering but keeping it as ‘translucent’ as possible with some stained and contrasting wooden bits under the covering.

We’ll see what I can achieve after some testing will be done. indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Contrast Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 07/06/2018 21:14:52

Hello again,

I had to give some top priority to some graphical work for The LotH’s new - local political - career, so not really much progress to Vicky’s build. angel

I did some testing though, trying to define what kind of staining and covering to use to get the result I’m hoping to obtain.

For a first test, I used some standard sanding sealer to avoid the staining to penetrate into the balsa grain. Then the idea was to ‘taint’ some Balsaloc with a few drops of acrylic artist paint. Unfortunately the Balsaloc mixture started to ‘granulate’ right away… surprise

I then decided to give it a try with tainted diluted PVA as it is heat reactive as well.

672_vic_staintest01_900.jpg

Not that bad really, but it misses a bit of depth. Next step then.

I started over but this time giving the sealer a drop of acrylic as well. That became quite translucent after receiving a light rub with 400 grit sandpaper.

676_vic_staintest02_900.jpg

Then I used the PVA again with different concentrations of dark brown (Burnt Umber) and a try with the lighter and more ocher Raw Sienna.

I tend to like this recipe as it allows the wood grain to still be apparent but just accentuated. yes

Next step will be to cover one half of the test-stab with ‘Linen’ Solartex and the other part with some ‘Natural’ texture.

If somebody is interested to give it a try, here’s a close-up of the recipe.

683_vix_staintest03_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Burnt Umber Control

Hi Chris, I think that you are correct in preferring the darker colour. Not familiar with linen solartex so it will be interesting to see how transparent it is when you cover your test piece. I am wondering how the colour will stand up the pulling, tugging and general handling when covering the frame when the hot iron is applied. Can't wait for the next installment yes

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Of course tones and colours can often be of very personal preference.

I've been experimenting a lot with very dark - ebony like - tainting and staining as The LotH has a preference for very dark wooden deco items for her apartment. I must say that I like it as well. yes

But in this case, even if I would like to obtain a nice contrast, I believe a medium to dark oak type appearance would be preferable. We'll see what we can obtain. smiley

Thanks for commenting, young man.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Contrast Control

Thanks for jumping in, David.

I only have some 'Linen' (HK 2x5m) and 'Natural' (2x2m) at hand.

The days following Solarfilm's announcement, I tried to find some 'Antique' as well, but it was 'sold out' everywhere. I only could find 2 small rolls of 'Natural' from the UK and some 'Antique Yellow' from HK. sad

Also, I didn't realize that the Linen was opaque as I had never see it or use it. I thought it was just a matter of a slightly different color between the two. blush

Reading your post now, I guess I will have to use the 'Natural' if I want to obtain the type of contrast I would like.

Hakuna matata... well, some 'matata' here then... frown

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Choice Control

Hello again,

While I was doing some research for Vicky, I came across a Dutch Antiques Gallery website showing some pics of a Svenson Vicomte.

a020-vicomte-vintage-475euro_01.jpg

Now, the first thing I hope is that Vicky’s flying wires will be a bit more ‘functional’… wink

a021-vicomte-vintage-475euro_02.jpg

But I like the contrast between the frame and the covering which I suppose is some Japanese paper. Regarding the elevator control horn, it just needs a tiny bit of attention. cool

a022-vicomte-vintage-475euro_03.jpg

The decals seem to be genuine Svenson ones, but the wheels were very probably abandoned by their previous owners during D-Day at Omaha Beach some time back. I prefer not to give inappropriate comments concerning the cowl. angel

Anyhow, the good news is that this ‘thingie’ is for sale at €475,-… surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Antiques Control

Howitzer??? ... Didn't think about that one, Paul. surprise

You could be right if those old guns had some 120mm caliber as well?

I tend to believe it is just a tuna fish tin with a few layers of copper oil paint though... wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Tin Control

Hello everybody,

I guess we’re now approaching the moment of truth regarding the covering test.

The first half of the test stab was covered with the ‘Linen’ Solartex. The result seems quite acceptable for my first try out with the product, but then it seems to work easily. Even easier than the HK ‘Bright Silver’ that I used on my former Bella Ballerina.

686_vix_coveringtest01_900.jpg

As David wrote earlier, the outcome is opaque and not really what I’m looking for.

The second half part got some ‘Natural’ applied the same easy way.

700_vic_coveringtest02_900.jpg

This seems a lot better and anyhow very close to my projected effect.

A later test of transparency with some backlight shining through finalized my decision to use the ‘Natural’ for Vicky’s ‘body’… surprise  wink

708_vic_coveringtest03_900.jpg

Quite pleased now to have made this test piece.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Transparency Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 14/06/2018 19:09:16

Thank you for your input, Colin.

To be honest, for me it was the obvious choice regarding the 'contrast effect' that I wanted to obtain.

Once that decision made, I can now concentrate on finalizing the future decoration scheme for Vicky.

I think i must concentrate on the plane's vintage wheels next as well.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Deco Control

Hi again,

Not a great progression lately as The LotH’s new ‘career’ seems to incorporate quite a lot of ‘social’ duties. I believe I have been shaking more hands in the last week than in the last two years… surprise

Combined with some weather related gardening and household duties, this doesn’t allow me a lot of time in La Grotte.

But then, it seems to be a general trend around here as there isn’t a lot to read about ‘building’ at the moment.

Still, I managed to have a bit of progress to Vicky’s ‘vintage’ wheels with the reaming of the hubs allowing the insertion of some - 3mm ID - ABS tubing.

689_vix_wheelbearings_900.jpg

I’m using 12mm Neoprene cord for the tires and did some glue testing with a few short bits. Using Neoprene contact glue as well, I had a few ‘disasters’ at first with the glue joint sticking out of the tire. A really awful result… crying

I then tried with masking tape wrapped around both edges before cutting the cord to the right dimension, allowing the excess of glue removed together with both masking tape ’protections’. That worked (nearly) flawlessly. wink

691_vic_neoprenetest01_900.jpg

Still one to go for, but this is the result so far. cool

697_vic_neoprenetyre_900.jpg

The plan is to cover the wheels with Solartex, trying to imitate the fabric covering of the full size WW1 wheels. Not sure how I’ll manage that one. indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Neoprene Control

Flying weather over here in the UK that large yellow thing in the sky is shining brightly and the temperature could be as high as 30° later this week according to the BBC smile d. Running repairs and maintenance jobs for the moment building is going to have to wait until the weather changes. It seems a shame to cover up all of the good work you have put into the wheels with fabric covering, may be opt for a more see through one. Will be interesting to see how you cover wheels, that is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Paul.

Thank you both for commenting, lad & laddie.

I guess that "eye for detail" must be the reason of my late surname 'McAutistic', dear Iris... cool

Same weather here, Paul. With even improving temps during the following days.

For a moment I imagined of covering the wheels in 'Natural' too, but I'm trying to give Vicky some kind of a realistic look as well.

So I thought that tooth picks would look a bit too 'woody' for wheel spokes. frown

Hence the projected idea to cover with 'Linen' and to have a WW1-ish paint job for finish.

As you wrote, I'm not really looking forward to cover those wheels. It looks like a rounded off wing tip with compound curves all around... indecision the main problem being that there is no wing attached to those tips. surprise

No idea thus where to manage to 'grab' the bit to handle the job...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Grab Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 25/06/2018 21:49:13

Hi Andy,

You could be very right with both of your forecasts. blush

The first thing I did was cutting out a 14cm square piece of covering and piercing a hole in the middle. Then I secured the covering to the wheel centre with a bolt & screw through a wooden base. Perfect so far.

With the iron set at 110°C, I stuck the film to the thin edges of the wood in a crosswise clock pattern. Still OK.

But when I wanted to have another 4 glued points in between, it started to 'ondulate' that much at the edges that I nearly became seasick... When I wanted to correct that, the Solartex was already so flexible that it decided to stick to the flat part of the wood instead of to the edges only.

This was about the correct moment for Andy's predictions with a few French words of very uneducated swearing... frown

I decided to put the wheel aside and to use my not so valuable remaining time to prepare some bits for the second half-wing.

If I ever succeed of having some more or less acceptable covering, I'll post some pics, promised...

Anyhow, the good news of the day is 'no burnt fingers' at all (so far). angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Swearing Control