Chris's Vicomte 1916

Hi John,

First of all sorry about your loss... We all have to go eventually, but I know how hard it is losing a person you love. No, we haven't tied the knot. Both me and Chris have had a prior somewhat unpleasant experience (and in my case that's even a big understatement!). So we have decided to live in sin! Thanks for your comments and we are pleased to have you as a friend here... I hope the mods also excuse this answer...

With kind regards,

Iris

Advert

Hello again to all,

The electoral duties are boxed again, the ‘bubbles’ got evaporated and the hangovers are… over. Time to get back to Vicky. cool

This is an ol’ family portrait from my Ballerina days when I started experimenting with the pilot’s PU castings. Some of them were quite nice, some acceptable and of course a few total disasters as well. Still I managed to please some local builders with a home made ‘Pierre’. smiley

1033_vic_familyportrait.jpg

The mould I used was a latex rubber one, quite cheap but of course not that strong and after a dozen of them, the mould deserved its retirement.

As a new mould was needed and the fact that I wasn’t totally happy with Pierre’s ‘stiff’ appearance - looking frozen and straight in front of him - I thought it was time to try to do something about it.

1034_vic_pierre_evo01_900.jpg

Compared to the earlier one, Pierre II just looks a bit ‘sideways’ and ‘down’.

Easily projected in theory but this took a lot of ‘plastic’ surgery, including decapitation, filing, filling, sanding and other nasty stuff that the Mods wouldn’t like to see described down here… Nevertheless, I think it gives a more ‘natural’ result.

1036_vic_pierre_evo2_900.jpg

Apologies for the effect of the wide angle lens as they now look both like being heavily hydrocephalic… surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Lens Control

Thank you for your nice words, Martian. yes

I had another ‘silly’ idea regarding Pierre II as he will be flying in open air without canopy or even windscreen… surprise

But still quite busy with that, so in the meantime, I prepared a wooden box - split in two halves - to be used as a ‘casting box’ for the upcoming silicone rubber. No Duplo blocks this time as the format is quite small and my intention is to have a rotational casting which wouldn’t be possible with the Duplos.

Well yep, right... It would probably be possible, but then just 'once' and I would have to look for some Duplo blocks all around La Grotte... frown

1050_vic_pierre_box01_900.jpg

Dimensions are just 60 x 90mm with a height of 80mm, leaving around 10mm wall to the Pierre plug.

Please don’t ask about what kind of (scrap) ply I used for it. The only thing I know is that both external laminations are ‘red-ish’ and it’s certainly not Finnish Aerograde modellers quality… cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Ply Control

Hi again to the gents out there,

Poor Pierre, not even having some eye protection just behind that furious prop and that nasty oil spitting Gnome Monosoupape. surprise

I decided to help him by Dremeling away some goggles from a ‘disaster’ colleague, to cut half of his face away and give the radical implementation of both parts my best ‘transplant’ try out… followed by some careful removing of the previous goggles. cool

1052_vic_pierre_box02_900.jpg

I’m quite surprised to be able to write this down in a single sentence as it took me several hours of hard labour before being able to give it a first coat of primer. frown

1056_vic_pierre_box03_900.jpg

Not that perfect really, but at least it’s purely homemade… and pretty sure Pierre III will be happy wearing them. angel

1060_vic_pierre_box04_900.jpg

Too late for regrets anyhow as the silicone rubber is now waiting to cure… fingers crossed & good luck in there, Pierre. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Job Conditions & Eyes Protection Control

Hello to all,

I guess the forumites all started building a Masterclass Hawker Fury or at least are preparing their Mexican F1 GP at Fantasy GP… indecision

We’re back at working ‘hard’ in La Grotte, so the good news is that Pierrot survived his immersion and the silicone mould is looking very operational.

1066_vic_pierre_box05_900.jpg

Next is to prepare a cover/lid for the mould bits, with a central screw enabling it to be ‘slowly’ rotated with a cordless drill. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Immersion Control

You're totally right, Paul.

Some people think that those large scarves they used was some kind of 'aristocratic' or 'aesthetic' touch, but in fact it was very mandatory to be able to clean one's goggles during flight.

I might try to make one for Pierre, but I have no idea what 'scale'-like material to use for it.

Hakuna matata & thanks

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Oily Gnome Control

Hi again,

I had some nice progression lately with different small bits.

The pieces for the silicone moulding box were prepared and glued.

I started some rework on a wooden prop - basically a Turnigy 12x7 - with modified tips and an as accurate as possible sanding and staining afterwards.

1045_vic_pierre_evo04_900.jpg

The main wing rigging post has been stained in a similar way to the control surfaces and is now ready for duty.

I couldn’t resist to installing Pierrot III in his updated ‘office’. blush

1048_vic_pierre_evo05_900.jpg

More pics to come when the glue of the box and the staining of the prop are dry. smiley

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Small Bits Control

Thank you both for commenting, gents.

Still a lot to build, Martian. Things like the u/c, the battery hatch, the GF cowl, but I decided to work on the smaller bits nowadays as I don't have 'long' sessions at La Grotte for the moment. angel

As for the Fury, that seems still 'far' away. To be honest, I don't really like the way some builders are rushing ahead. Danny is busy resolving some fuselage formers 'mishaps' on the plan while others seem to make a race out of it with trying to finalize fuselages or even wings... and obviously also accumulating 'mistakes'. If I'm allowed, that isn't the idea of a Master Classroom at all. sad

Not "excellent" at all, DD. But just the best I can with my available knowledge and the lack of time at my disposal those days. But then, I don't believe rushing it up would make it better, anyhow. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Slow Progress Control

I build quite quickly compared to some I suppose, but then I will spend ages on a small scale addition.

Our projects take us on a journey, sometimes a quick jog around the block and other times, a long stroll through the wilderness.................either way, as long as we enjoy the trip, what the Hell !!

As long as there are interesting build blogs, I for one, will be reading them.

A big thumbs up to anyone who puts there efforts out there for public viewing. thumbs upthumbs up

Don't sell yourself short Chris, I love your take on things Matey, keep up the good work.

D.D.

Thank you a lot, Dwain.

To be honest, I'm still waiting for that "quick jog around the block". My journey is looking more like a double marathon in the Sinaï desert... surprise

And yes, it takes some effort to take those blog pics and to write these few words, certainly being in a foreign language. But as you wrote, "as long as we enjoy the trip".

Receiving comments from readers is then certainly worth the effort.

I'll try to remember your words when I encounter a building 'dip'. yes

Thanks again, young man

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Double Marathon Control

Hello to all,

I had a start with the first PU casting.

I’ll give a bit of explanations for those who might be interested in the process.

1068_vic_pierre_box06_900.jpg

The silicone mould went back in the ply frame and I prepared a piece of acetate with a hole allowing me to pour in the casting resin.

The PU curing time is really short - mostly less than 5 minutes at 20°C – so it’s really helpful to start the rotation asap.

1075_vic_pierre_box07_900.jpg

The acetate sheet gets parcel taped to the frame and the construction goes in the drill chuck.

For that purpose, I made a poplar lid for the underside with a M6 screw epoxied in place with two ply roundels.

1076_vic_pierre_box08_900.jpg

When ready, the frame is held ‘filling’ side up, the resin is poured in, a small piece of tape closes the hole and the rotation can be started, turning rather slowly in the beginning of the process and accelerating progressively.

For this first attempt, I started with 9g of each A+B component, being (I suppose ?!) a total of 18g resin. indecision

I guestimated this could be about right but a total disaster is never too far off… blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Rotation Control

Thanks, Dirk.

I guess I became slowly 'insane' since my membership to the forum here.

Too late now for my mental health obviously, but I really enjoy 'making' stuff... and of course, laminating some bits of balsa or ply.

Indeed I could buy a pilot, but unless they're quite expensive, most of them are a bit toy-ish or even childish.

... and at least, the Pierrots are 'homemade'.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Sanity Control

Hello everybody,

Just one pic to show the casting progress, but at least it’s a ‘family’ reunion. wink

The first Pierrot came out neatly and weights 17,4g, probably around 16 after cleaning up the base of his chest.

1088_vic_pierre_evo3_900.jpg

The only polyurethane resin I have seems perfect for ‘full’ casting but a bit on the thick/dense side for rotational purposes. Hence I tried to liquefy it a bit by adding Isopropyl before mixing the B-component… angel

It seemed fine at first but while curing it started to foam up… with the spongy and incomplete figurine at the right of the pic as a very faulty result. frown

Back to the normal procedure and with a bit less mixture, the third Pierrot is the ‘best’ one at 15,2g.

I’m still convinced there must be a way to get it more liquid, but I’m really not a chemist and some other Vicomtesque tasks are waiting as well.

Now, anybody out there with some proper polyurethane resin diluting solution is of course very welcomed to jump in and share some comments. cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Chemistry Control

Thank you for your suggestion, Martian. smiley

It would certainly work with 'slow' epoxy resin, like the 1 hour or even the '30 minutes' one.

But if you increase the temp with PU - which is already curing in 4-5 minutes at 20°C - it would without doubt end in a premature 'cooking' without giving any latitude for a proper rotation... frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Cooking Control

Your pilot is looking very promising Chris. I tried making a simple carved foam one for my Wiggo, but it turned out pretty bad and I ended up buying one.

Luckily my nephew bought a 3-D printer and made me a pilot for my [still unfinished] Grumpy Tigercub, which I am modifying to look like a WWII fighter. It needs a bit of filling, but turned quite nice and only weights 5 grams.

pilot-5g.jpg

Thank you Steven, I really tried my best on this Pierrot. angel

I can only manage 'short' moments of free time at the moment. With hindsight it seemed quite a bit of work but I'm glad with the result so far. It's not 'final' of course as it still needs some priming and painting.

I guess 3D printing would be a lot easier and faster if one is having a correct file, but unfortunately I don't have a printer... neither do I have a helpful nephew.

By the way, can someone give good advice how to paint some 'realistic' goggles... ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Goggles Control

Hi again,

Vicky’s wooden propeller got stained and weathered some time ago. Now I also balanced it without issues.

I decided to present the prop to the projected motor together with the included accessories.

1089_vic_propnut01_900.jpg

Well, that ‘rocket’ type prop nut doesn’t really look appropriate for a WWI bird. I guess I’ll have to ponder a bit about that. indecision

In the meantime I prepared the wing bold fixings. I don’t know the exact name, but let’s call them ‘kitchen cabinet joiners’ !!?

1092_wingbolts_washer_900.jpg

I used them before with my Ballerina build and it’s just an easy solution. I drill the female part through, in this case with a 4mm drill and they offer a nice bolt tunneling and a surface washer for the wing retaining nylon bolts. Simples & cheap. yes cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Cabinet Control

Hello to all,

Looking for an acceptable solution for that prop nut, I raided my scrap bits box(es) and came up with this.

1096_vic_propnut02_900.jpg

A standard M6 nut, an appropriate ali washer and a simple plastic rounded nut ‘cover’ will do the job.

I gave the washer a coat of flat black and the nut ‘cover’ a spray of 'stainless steel-ish' paint.

1099_vic_propnut03_900.jpg

No idea why, but Gaston insisted to make a spare one right away… angel

1102_vic_propnut04_900.jpg

The agenda is a tiny bit overloaded at the moment, but I do hope to find the opportunity next week to have a start at the u/c.

I never did bend or solder any piano wire. I also never had a look at that supposedly ‘magic’ wire bender I acquired already ages ago… blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Nut Cover Control