Heater for my shed

Glyn44

Posted by Glyn44 on 21/01/2018 17:51:51:

Maybe we just pick up sheds and move to warmer climes!

I'm part way there already, Glyn... But for my cold, damp English garage, having looked at all the door-insulation possibilities (and there are lots out there to see on the Web), I've decided that my garage deserves a new door anyway, so I'll just dump the old metal one and replace it with something in timber or GRP, fully insulated, draught-free too. Should be a good start to making my garage a better workshop! Need to cough up £900 - £1500 though...

rgds Tony

Advert

Tony,

Now I was thinking of options for my garage door, but that settles it.

B&Q for some insulation sheets, carpet tile strength double sided tape and a hole new budget for flying this year!

When I tell the better half I have saved a grand on the garage door and then go 50:50 on the difference I'll still get a model out of the proceeds. smiley

What we need is a cost avoidance thread, just so we can easily justify the next new thing! enlightened

I got around the draughty steel door problem by walling it off as a DIY and utility store. I built a stud partition wall clad with MDF and gyproc, with a rockwool fill.

The insulation on the remaing remaining 'external' walls is a composite cladding sheet (8 x 4), which is 40mm thick styrene foam bonded to gyproc with a foil layer in between. I can't remember what it's called. The foam side is stuck to the garage wall with the adhesive provided by the supplier. The floor was sealed and laid with 2nd hand carpet tiles.

The old wood/glass side door (now the only access) was replaced with an outward opening uPVC type, with a multipoint lock. NB - it's worth looking into your house insurance to see what kind of locks they expect on your outbuildings, to ensure your cover extends to them!

Heating is a £20 Dimplex fan. I turn it on (and the tubes) to warm up 10 minutes before heading in there. Toasty...

I have a 10' x 14' 'Log Cabin' as a workshop. Walls are 3" thick wood, windows are double glazed and there's 9" of insulation under the floor to stop heat leaching into the ground. A thermostatically controlled oil filled radiator, on low 24/7, keeps it cosy throughout the winter.

Posted by G-JIMG on 23/01/2018 10:43:07:

I have a 10' x 14' 'Log Cabin' as a workshop. Walls are 3" thick wood, windows are double glazed and there's 9" of insulation under the floor to stop heat leaching into the ground. A thermostatically controlled oil filled radiator, on low 24/7, keeps it cosy throughout the winter.

I'd be tempted to move in yes escape the other half.

The expanded foam blocks/sheets used for between the rafters in lofts is ideal for insulating sheds etc, especially timber framed buildings.Fitted between the timber uprights and stuck to the inside of the roof. Works a treat especially if no draughts. A halogen heater for instant heat and an oil- filled radiator for instant heating

Posted by onetenor on 23/01/2018 12:12:55:

The expanded foam blocks/sheets used for between the rafters in lofts is ideal for insulating sheds etc, especially timber framed buildings.Fitted between the timber uprights and stuck to the inside of the roof. Works a treat especially if no draughts. A halogen heater for instant heat and an oil- filled radiator for background heating

Posted by G-JIMG on 23/01/2018 11:39:04:

Forgot to add, apart from all the usual power tools and a CNC machine, it's got a 27" TV, a mini-fridge and an intercom to the house so I can tell SWMBO when to bring the tea and bacon butties!

How much do you charge for B&B ?

• 1 year later...

I used to work daily in a 7 x 5 shed as I was a full time professional modelmaker. I had fitted over an inch of expanded poly sheeting between the battens of the shed frame and then 6mm cheap ply over that. All I had was a tubular heater about 6" above the floor and under the bench so the warmth gently rolled up around me from below. The heater was a 60 watt, so no more costly to run than a light bulb. If you don't insulate the shed, you are wasting money trying to heat it. I should also say that it was very cool int summer as it sat under the shade of a large cherry tree. I used layers of corrugated cardboard under thick cast off carpet on the floor, going up the sides a bit. The family knew to open and shut the door in an instant to conserve heat! I was very toasty all day.

Cheers,

Martin