President bi fly 48" Wing

trebor

Posted by Denis Watkins on 24/01/2018 07:39:07:
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/01/2018 23:46:27:

Bit unkind to call it sluggish maybe Denis, mine was a joy to fly....cue the sarky comments on my looks. lips

I was trying to be diplomatic John, for the young lads comment that this was slow in the roll

But as you say, they are a joy to fly, and solid, with knock off wings in the event of an ungainly arrival

These are great to build too

Young lad!! I am flattered, I think, mine is the only slow roll rate comment. However I remember when this model came out & PRECEDENT is spelled the same way now as it was in the late 70s.

Tony

Well if your building a new one make sure you can get the fuel tank out for repairs as I had to adapt this with my rotary sanding tool, you can see its had a fire at one point under the fuel tank on mine. It also had a cracked wing dowel mount that now has a new bit of ply and a chunk of hard wood behind it for support. I had to glue in small triangular wood stock to support the thin ply at the top.

img_2741.jpg

The other strange thing was the tail wheel, all the weight was forced on the rudder hinges so I soldered a washer on the wire and packed out the mount with 3mm ply. Maybe the rudder was not cut for the steerable tail wheel wire correctly.

img_2742.jpg

This is my first attempt at mechanical differential ailerons, I went for maximum 20mm up, 10mm down to start off with. The servo seems to be mounted in the wing rather high but not sure if its as per plan. Is this going to be enough movement ?

img_2745.jpg

I couldn't work out a better way to mount the tank as it was just jammed in with "LOTS" of foam before. the hole is too small to get my hand in. I,m trying to mount the receiver forward now as its still tail heavy. Failing that I might get a couple of longer snakes and move the servo tray.

I tried to work out exactly where the servo holes should be and gave up, went for "drill a hole and see approach" laugh

• 5 months later...

Well I eventually got it up the field with a repaired engine, I chickened out flying it and got Dave one of our club experts to take it up. Needed a bit of trimming mainly a lot of elevator to keep it flying, in fack it used up all the trim switch movement. It flew well inverted though and did most other things fine but the sink rate was rapid without lots of up elevator all the time. Something's wrong somewhere, I will post again later this morning where the CoG ended up.

The laser 70 fs just managed it ok with a 12x6 prop maybe I'll try a 13" next and I will try to remember to take some pictures.

Great stuff - good to hear the beastie is alive!

I would have thought the 13x6 would be ideal.

If the CG is correct it might be worth checking incidences if you can. My small one flies without much noticable elevator trim.

BTW, in case you have yet to do so, investigate spin characteristics with plenty of height, be prepared to add power and opposite rudder to affect recovery.

Thanks for the advise, just measured my CoG at 5" behind the centre point of the top wing so far. I did have to add 30g of lead between the prop and crankcase to level it. At the moment I have no way of checking the incidence. Dave rolled it and to me it seemed quite quick but he said it would be pushing it to loop it without a big run up laugh Mind you its just running in new rings and mains at the moment, softly softly since I rebuilt it ( fingers crossed )

Ps, it did try to turn left on takeoff. Dont think theres much right thrust set on the engine.

Edited By trebor on 28/06/2018 16:05:26

Edited By trebor on 28/06/2018 16:05:42

Hi Trebor (Bob1), I thought she flew very well just a few things to sort out and then we will be able to do formation flying !!, I'm getting on well with the Pup conversion today with a bit of luck weather wise will see you next week. Bobby (Bob2)smileyyes

• 2 weeks later...

Here she is airborne !

img_2983.jpg

Its a bit dark but its mine honest.

img_2976.jpg

img_2977.jpg

Only problem now is the wheel hubs are falling apart due to old age. Had to get the superglue out but she is trimmed out with no lead on the front and the CofG is about 5.5" back.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a kit in the process of being built and new wings being made by the original tradesman who manufactured the kit. I had a model of this some 20 odd years ago and have been hunting for another for some time.  Unfortunately SLEC have no plans to reintroduce the kit again as they no longer have the rights to do so. This is a shame as it was an enjoyable model to build and fly.

• Sad 1

Hi Tony,

I read with interest that the tradesman who originally made the wings is making up a kit ?

Might he have plans etc. for the MK1 hi boy ?

I have been trying to locate an unstarted hi boy kit for ages with no success ( also a lesro 575 RC yacht ).