Own Design 2m F3A Model

Dan Workman

Advert

Hi Gary, the fuz is bang on 2m, you could even go 2.02m as you get a 1% measuring tolerance.
The wings are never usually 2m, the norm is about 1750mm to 1800mm.

Your right there is a wing tip to go on.

I didnt double up the ribs, i just sanded the end of the aileron to take some 3/32" balsa and give a 1mm gap. I've finished 1 wing now, going to do the other tonight i'll take some pics.

Dan

Thanks guys.
Beb- i used contest grade 3/32 from balsacabin, i think they class anything under 21g as contest (for this size sheet) so you can get a 15g sheet or a 20g sheet. I was just pulling sheets of a pile so thats prob where the weight difference is.

Nigel- yes they're very light, the fuz with wing tube, canopy and rudder will be about 1050g, tails about 75g each and the wings 465g. So about 1665g ish for bare airframe uncovered. Havent got my converter so what 3 3/4 lb?

Martyn- i will laterally balance the whole thing when its finished, hopefully just moving the lipos sideways will sort it! They weigh about 1200g

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful job. I hope we'll see you flying it at Ashbourne sometime this year. The F3a flyers usually have a couple of competitions here.

However (and this is no criticism of your superb work), I find F3a models very ugly despite their undoubted fine flying characteristics. But then, I like old biplanes which isn't everyone's cup of tea either

Geoff

Thanks guys
Gary, yes it did cross my mind, we'll just have to see how it presents in the air.
Geoff, hopefully i'll be at Ashbourne sometime this year, did a comp there last year but my first time there was about 17ish years ago for an IMAC comp.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
But yes, i can see how people can find f3a models ugly!