Ferocious Frankie- Brian Taylor P-51

This could be a long one...

I've done a blindfold-scale Spitfire and I decided to do a Mustang next, preferably larger and more accurate. The Brian Taylor plan depicts a fairly complicated but very accurate model, and it is the latter that has drawn me to it. I got the plans (2 sets) and parts from Sarik.

Subject is Ferocious Frankie because I used to see it frequently when growing up in Suffolk (annoyingly the aeroplane has just moved to Turkey, would have liked to get more pictures of it). I'm going to do the best I can and see how much detail I can (or can be bothered) to add. If it goes really well, who knows, I may even enter some stand off competitions. But that is not the current plan.

I'm not starting until the Swift is done, but that won't be long and I thought an early open would stem some discussion.

Anyway, pictures:

pb1.jpg

Retracts are from the USA (rather apt) because Unitracts seem to have disappeared. Tested them and they work well. The legs sit in the scale position, but the mounts need to be redesigned to take these. Annoyingly the motors will be visible in the wheel wells, first scale blemish!

pb2.jpg

Looking forwards to getting this build underway, I shall start with the wing first. The main undercarriage with separately hinged doors and hiding the aileron actuators are the first couple of challenges!

Jacob

Advert

This post will be quite dull, it is mainly so I have it on record.

The first challenge I am investigating is the undercarriage. My retracts have the correct leg length and pintle angle, but the retraction angle looks like it is 90 degrees rather than the correct 86 degrees. However, I believe I can make it work without modifying the units.

The extra 4 degrees yields an extra 6.7mm arc length of retraction at the centre of the wheel. By retaining the correct angle with wheels down (perpendicular to the runway) this means the wheels go 6.7mm too far into the well when compared with what it should be. However, if this clashes with the well, I can lower the whole unit by 5 or 6mm and still remain completely in the wing when retracted, because the Mustang retract hinge line is set quite high in the wing. It's a cheat, but it would be nigh-on impossible to notice unless I was stupid and posted on the internet that I was going to cheat... I can still make the undercarriage leg doors work too because they are separately hinged and attached to the legs with sprung telescopic mounts, so the doors can sit flush despite the legs moving a tad more.

I'll make a test rig using scrap wood cut to the same dimensions as the wing to determine the best position I can put the bearers before building the wing. This way I will know what I am doing when building the wing. Hopefully I am correct and this will work!

Told you it would be boring... I'll start on the test rig and get some pictures tomorrow.

I've seen a couple of your models in your photos. Beautifully finished so I am book marking this build and will be following along. This isn't the same Brian Taylor mustang I built but I did attempt at a ferocious franky finish as well. I've built 2 Brian taylor models now and I'll say this, he takes a lot of the guess work out of it. Best of luck and keep us posted

Thanks Jon, hopefully a nice Laser 120 comes in stock fairly soon!

That's very nice of you Shane, do you have any pictures of your Mustang to share? Hope you enjoy following along!

Started on the retract test rig. I only need the area from the centre to the outermost mount of the retract bearer in front of the spar, and only one side too. .

Firstly, an MDF board. The 'wing' will be attached to this upside down at the dihedral angle, so the leg can easily be mounted with the correct stance.

rr001.jpg

Some of the laser cut ribs can be used in the rig because they will need re-fabricating once I decide the new bearer position. Others are re-cut, as shown below. Not the finest cutting but it's fine for the rig (the laser cutting is beautiful).

rr002.jpg

The lower three will be used in the rig and modified for the actual wing.

rr003.jpg

What I have so far, not a lot done because the Swift is priority one currently.

rr004.jpg

I got one of the units out and in real life it looks better than I thought (woo!) to get them in the right place. Hopefully I will get some structure built tomorrow so we can start pondering what the situation is. I'm confident that with the rig I can devise a solution which looks like the real thing with both gear up and gear down. I can also test the doors when I get around to doing that with the rig too.

Jacob

Jacob, you probably know this, but for the proper scale retraction sequence you will need a sequencer for the inner doors - they close after the wheels come down and (obviously) open before they close. FMS do this on their foamy P51, I don't know if the sequencer is available as a spare. Others must be available, I think I've seen them from Hobbyking.

The retracts you've bought look really nice. I'm sure you will produce a model to match them.

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 12/02/2018 22:47:07:

That suits me well anyway since I have the wing to build. Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible, my 80 has been perfect since you fixed the glider tow string ingestion, thank you very much!

Ok great i will see what i can do. Just stay away from tow line in future

Trevor is also right about the doors. HK do a sequencer that will work P51 style. they are only about 8 quid i think

Sorry just got back from work.

Trevor- Yes I was aware- I may be able to do it through programming on my Taranis transmitter which could be interesting, if not then I will get a sequencer. Thanks a lot!

Cheers Jon!

Phil- They are from Century Jet in the States (got to have some American-ness in it I suppose!). Company doesn't have the best reputation but I am pleased with these retracts- I also had them custom modified for the leg position and pintle angle.

Danny- Great to have you on board, please point out all my errors so I can rectify them! Cheers

Martyn- thanks, it is a D so bubble canopy.

Thanks Martian!

Denis, he does do a good job doesn't he?! There are loads of videos on youtube of aeroplanes with sound systems to replicate the full size engine sound, it's worth a look!

I shall get some more done on the rig after dinner, back later.

Thank you very much Bob, that is brilliant! I'll give that a go when I get onto the doors.

Rig building time. Note that the workmanship is not to usual standards because I used whatever scrap I could and it doesn't need to be for the purpose it is being built for.

rr006.jpg

Tracing of the plan:

rr008.jpg

And the build

rr009.jpg

rr010.jpg

rr011.jpg

rr013.jpg

It is too far to the right in this picture. Already it can be seen that rib 4 will need to be cut for the motor and rib 5 changed to mount the bearers in a better position, but it looks reasonable. Next is to mount the rig at the correct dihedral and incidence angle, but it was getting cold!

• 3 months later...

Minor update
It was looking like I was going to have to delay the start of this build due to a house move (hence lack of updates), but that is not occurring now so I can get going again!

Also, I have managed to acquire a BNIB Laser 120 from a fellow forum member. It's beautiful and it easily fits fully in the cowl, obviously cooling will need to be planned carefully.

pb3.jpg

Got all the important bits now. After my two week holiday and once I have done messing around with Wot 4s that are hogging the board, I can make a start on the Mustang wing (and continuation of the retract rig, getting these mounts right is going to be critical). What could possibly go wrong (don't make a list...)

Jacob

• 1 month later...

I've been itching to get going on this one so I took a little break from the Wot 4.

I have been anticipating a geometric battle to get the retract angles correct, but using the rig it was actually very easy. The finished rig:rr014.jpg

Notch in the bearer for the shaft- note that significant reinforcement will be added on the other side of the bearer when put in the real wing.

rr016.jpg

I had to bring the bearers up 3/4" because the mounts are different to the retracts shown on the plan (which is a benefit because it adds more material in the ribs). Fits in nicely when retracted:

rr017.jpg

The wheel fits in the well- a slight bit can be seen here because I had not finished adjustment.

rr018.jpg

And wheels down looks very good. Looking at the Bentley drawings, rake might be a few mm too far forwards compared to the full size, but this is probably due to the rig being less accurate than the wing will be (and slightly forwards helps ground handling which is good). Please excuse the arm:

rr019.jpg

The legs are very heavy so I might be tempted to try and get some lighter ones at some point, we shall see. Now I can modify the real wing ribs and start building the wing, very pleased with this so far. I have not decided if I am going to try out RDS ailerons or have conventional connections. It would be nice to hide the connections...

Jacob

I had been wondering when you were going to get back at this. I like your ideas when building the retract jig looks to have worked out well and will be worth the time spent on it I'm sure. WHat brand retracts did you end up with? Keep them posts coming and just know... We'll be watching you.

Shane

• 2 weeks later...