Best Plane You Have Owned

Devcon1

Advert

Posted by flight1 on 18/02/2018 09:38:12:
Posted by cymaz on 18/02/2018 09:00:23:

Seagull spacewalker....the hours doing touch-and-goes on a summers evening...hotheart

ha ha bounce and go you mean devilcheeky

For me apache aviation PT19 , flew it so much, I wore it out.

What he meant to say, it wore out as it rubbed along the ground at Mach 9, minus the undercarriage.....face 3 devil

Posted by cymaz on 18/02/2018 10:35:30:
Posted by flight1 on 18/02/2018 09:38:12:
Posted by cymaz on 18/02/2018 09:00:23:

Seagull spacewalker....the hours doing touch-and-goes on a summers evening...hotheart

ha ha bounce and go you mean devilcheeky

For me apache aviation PT19 , flew it so much, I wore it out.

What he meant to say, it wore out as it rubbed along the ground at Mach 9, minus the undercarriage.....face 3 devil

You thinking of the wrong plane Cymaz,

any way better get back on toppic otherwise I might get told off. You should ask Alan about flight 401)

Hangar 9 pulse xt 125. I have owned two and they are superb with a massive flight envelope. Fitted with a 150 size 4 stroke (laser in the first and an enya 155 in the 2nd) they are viceless.

My yt/esm La7. My first 80'' warbird and still going after 8 years. Completely predictable and a fantastic looking model. I flew it yesterday for the first time after winter maintenance and loved every minute.

My Goldberg Super Chipmunk - must be 22 years + old now, original engine but with changed bearings and carb (Magnum .91FS), second set of servos throughout and converted to 2.4 a few years back. Looks nice in the air with the Art Scholl colour scheme, aerobatic yet totally viceless and will cope with windy conditions. Hopefully, Goldberg will reintroduce this kit as IMHO, it's one of the best introductions to scale models that you can build and fly.

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/02/2018 11:42:16

I can think of a good number of models I have that I enjoy flying immensely and would never want to be parted from but it was still an easy job to answer the question asked. Why? Well this model:

• Is only my third ever model,
  • first flew in 2005,
  • has flown many, many hours since, year after year,
  • last flew it in autumn 2017 (will no doubt fly again soon),
  • only repair it has ever had has been to replace the undercarriage (see here),
  • although not true scale it looks the part,
  • requires full house control inputs for slow turns and to look right anyway,
  • which keeps flying it interesting,
  • has a reasonable amount of aerobatic ability,
  • engine (SC FS52) hardly ever misses a beat, sounds great and is a good match,
  • I just enjoy it so much,
  • fits in my car fully assembled (just),

so here it is:

se5 1(2).jpg

A Flair Se5a?

Nope (Alex Whittaker take note!).

It's a Ripmax Se5a with a few extra bits added (rocker covers, exhaust pipes, leather cockpit surround, identification ribbons). Only down side is the shiny covering, though to be fair late and post was versions were polished.

Just love it.

Wren 44 Gold powered Nano Boomerang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMC5zduZykE

In the video the model was constrained by local airfield rules to operating within a box 400yds long x 200yds deep, and 300ft height. Outside this box were no-fly areas., so it's a good job the Nano is manoeuvrable. The little 44 Gold surprises many people with its performance and I've never needed a bigger turbine.

I'm still flying the jet 7 years on, and the imposed flying limits in the video back then stood me in good stead, as where I fly these days is a small tree-lined sheep field with a grass strip and a slightly smaller operating boundary, but luckily without the height restriction.

Gordon

Posted by cymaz on 18/02/2018 15:06:45:

Just wondering....why are all the best flying artf designs always discontinued after a few short years.angry Maybe its due to the manufacturer not shipping enough because no-one is crashing them

Hanger 9/ horizon hobbies are particularly bad for this. I guess it is their marketing strategy. Spares supplies also soon dry up "encouraging" you to but new models. I guess it also keeps the copy cats one step behind (look at multiplex and their easy star)

but it can be frustrating when a particularly sweet model becomes no longer available.

Edited By Phil 9 on 19/02/2018 06:50:31

I have built lots of models and crashed even more. Bought models and wrecked them. A new trany sorted the crashes so now after quite a few years I'd say it is my Peter Millar Oolladaly.

Fun easy build

Easy to setup at the field

nice and predictable yet aerobatic

Rugged as old boots.

Better than any ARF I've ever flown.

Difficult to choose one after 45 years of r/c modelling, but one of my current ARTFs has to be a front runner - my little Durafly Mk24 Spitfire. Very scale performance on a humble 3s 2200 pack, looks the part in the air, and for a warbird is relatively easy to take off and land. After a couple of hundred flights I had to replace one of the retract units last year, and I've recently fitted a more scale 5-blade prop. Don't know what I will do if it gets wrecked as they have been discontinued, although apparently a revamped "Mk 2" version is on its way.

Shown below with my Durafly Mk1, which looks nicer but isn't quite as nice to fly.

20170423_151244.jpg

All things considered I have to cast a vote for the Galaxy Mystic. Mine was powered by a Super Tigre 90 and had very easy ground handling and could do any amount of aerobatics after take off. Maybe not the F3A challenges but plenty close enough to be pleasing. It never crashed but simply wore out from several years use. Never had the budget to put a big 4 stroke in it but that would have made it perfect.

S

My all-time favourite, also my cheapest and ugliest airframe has to be a black Correx (plastic sheet used for estate agents signs boards) "Bogey" - flies in any wind, capable of anything/everything that is possible using aileron & elevator - and extraordinarily hard to damage. Still going after 4 hard years, but sadly no longer in production. Can't leave out Mr Fosse's WOT4 - I'm on my 4th - and when that one breaks I'll get another. A final honourable mention for my sadly short-lived Sid King "Tracer" - I flew the Club20 version with a throttled OS20 and when Sid produced the "Electric Tracer" I stuck an FSR 25 in that - so fast and so smooth until it went in from very very high at full chat.

Cannot make my mind up between my almost 30 yr old scaled up Mamselle by Vic Smeed or my new year old Vagabond by Bill Winter. Both fly a treat. See for yourself

Mamselle at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxekqyMlZSs

Vagabond at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=957ylA8daZU

Edited By John Laird on 19/02/2018 12:09:37

Edited By John Laird on 19/02/2018 12:13:53