Seagull Dual Ace Laser Build

Chris Walby

Is it time to balance my model?

The C of G according to this on line manual
https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SEA4025_manual.pdf
is 80-90 mm back from LE.
The supplied manual states 105 to 115mm .

The front of the wing (LE) is straight and the wing's average chord is 31.5 cm.

Based on average chord, CofG will be:

25.4% 80 mm back from LE
27% 85 mm back from LE
28.6% 90 mm back from LE
30% 95 mm back from LE
31,7% 100 mm from LE
33.3% 105 mm back from LE
35% 110 mm back from LE
36,5% 115 mm back from LE

Think I will try 85-90 mm from LE for a start.

Curious about where your ( other DualAce pilots) CofG ended.

I have correct C of G as 95 to 110, but I'll check my manual and my model as I am sure it was in that area, most probably towards the 95 end.

Flies very nicely and roll are reasonable (bit of elevator needed but not excessive).

It lands quite fast as is and with the C of G at 85-90 it might mean a very express arrival at the landing strip.

I'll get back to you, Chris

Right ho, back from the flying field, too blustery for the Dual Ace, but okay for the Laser 70 Speed Air wink

So AUW with dry tanks C of G is 105 so I am with cymaz and it flies very nicely

That's where I started and finished...if it isn't broke, why fix it (I don't plan on flying mine inverted for any length of time!).

While on the subject of flying the Dual Ace, I have it set up as per book with the low/high rates. I found the low rates a challenge as it took up a lot of sky with some steep bank angles, where the high rates and some expo is much easier for me. Lastly apologies for teaching you to suck eggs, but it needs to be flown to the ground. Cut and glide and it will bite blush

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edited By Chris Walby on 31/07/2018 20:12:58

• 4 years later...

Finally had to take the engines out of the DA. Port engine refused to start on Saturday. After stripping it, I found that the surface coating had peeled form the liner...not good, and the bearings were bad. Surprising really as I’d always been scrupulous about running the engines  dry and adding after run. They’d always started first time.

Just eninges still have spares in stock for my Irvine 40 Mk IV. Should arrive in a day or so. 

I’ve also added some landing lights, ( a bit of bling never hurt anyone). 

I’ll post when it’s all back together 

Oh, also thinking of adding Dubro 10oz tanks but surgery may be needed....keep you posted!

Edited by cymaz

8 minutes ago, cymaz said:

Oh, also thinking of adding Dubro 10oz tanks but surgery may be needed....keep you posted

I don't have my Dual Ace now, but I flew with 6oz tanks, believing the fuel load lighter, and easily flew 12 minutes, though I deadsticked 1 motor one time at 14 minutes, so stuck to 10 minute flights thereafter.

Is it that you want a secure longer safer flight margin? As your looking in the region of 25 minutes with a .40 on a 10oz tank.

I’ve got some Dubro tanks spare, didn’t want to buy new. The Slec tanks were good, although draining them was a pain, unless you put the plane on its back.

The Dubros will give me the advantage of getting two clunks in to make de fuelling much easier. Won’t cost a penny but i think it’s nice to modify to make life easier. 

Will see see how it goes. After 9/10 mins I found that there wasn’t very much spare fuel anyway. 

The head had to be heated as the liner was stuck to it. 

Picture of the ruined liner

224F135D-392A-49BF-A528-2CA018731EFD.jpeg

Edited by cymaz
  • Thanks 1