Pedantic

kevin b

Advert

Posted by DH 82A on 26/02/2018 12:17:50:

I say, chaps, this will not do ! Must not sully the English language with words from Johnny Foreigner !

I agree! We must use sound ENGLISH words ike Fuselage, Camber, Nacelle, Decalage, Aileron, Cabane, Amphibian, Torque, Monocoque, Empennage, Autogyro, Canard, Longeron...

Posted by TJ Alexander on 26/02/2018 15:32:42:
Posted by DH 82A on 26/02/2018 12:17:50:

I say, chaps, this will not do ! Must not sully the English language with words from Johnny Foreigner !

I agree! We must use sound ENGLISH words ike Fuselage, Camber, Nacelle, Decalage, Aileron, Cabane, Amphibian, Torque, Monocoque, Empennage, Autogyro, Canard, Longeron...

I'm trying to think of an English word for a tailplane at the front, but it's 'canard!

Posted by Phil 9 on 26/02/2018 07:04:08:

My​ 8 year old son refers to a torch 🔦 as a flashlight and a nappy as a diaper

Edited By Phil 9 on 26/02/2018 07:05:32

Well we used to sell flashlights in our family's shop back in the 1940s when you needed a permit to buy an alarm clock! It was the standard term for what we call torches today.

Geoff

Posted by Old Geezer on 26/02/2018 15:53:17:

Regarding Johnnie Foreigner - Quote Unquote on R4Extra this morning - attributed to a now deceased member of the Royal Family just back from a Royal Tour: ( I paraphrase ) "Abroad is absolutely awful, and full of nobody but bloody foreigners"

Sounds suspiciously like a "Phil the Greek-ism" that one....... mind you for a Greek Matelot he married well...

One thing that niggles me is when people say 'off of'. You don't say "i'm going to get off of the bus", you say "i'm going to get off the bus"

Or

"That chap off of the telly"........NO!! what is it with people, particularly on prime time TV and radio?

And, people starting a sentence with So.

Posted by Nick Cripps on 26/02/2018 11:45:13:

Surely you mean tailplane? wink

I'm not sure that he does.

I acquired a book recently, written in 1915 as an introduction to aeronautics (by a relative, Arthur Fage, who was a respected aerodynamicist at the National Physical Laboratory - sadly, although he died in 1977 when I was in my early 20s, as far as I know I never met him) which simply refers to the stabilising surface as the "tail". By extension, as he refers to "main planes" and "the planes at the tail of the aircraft", it would seem likely that the correct original terminology was "tail plane".

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/02/2018 18:07:41

So, as we move forward towards transformational change we need to look to new horizons as we get off of the day to day routine of silo working and ensure we are very clear that at this moment in time we touch base offline and reach out to get some quick wins by close of play to ensure that actions are met and we can each bring to the table some game changing low hanging fruit. Any new ideas ping them to me, as i'll be hot-desking in the break out zone with my helicopter view hat on.

Edited By ChrisB on 26/02/2018 19:12:17

Posted by buster prop on 26/02/2018 20:44:38:

Beginning sentences with ‘So’ is bad enough but worse is starting them with ‘Basically’. My son does this and now the grandkids have picked it up. Basically, it’s basically annoying.

Starting a sentence with the word "obviously" is not only superfluous but also rather insulting...

And whilst I was typing those "donkeys' ears", I was reminded of just how annoying it is when people make the double two fingered gesture during conversation!

Roll on spring - perhaps we'll all be a bit less tetchy when if the weather improves.