Ken

Plans used to be available from ASP/Nexus/Magicalia plans service, but I can't find them listed on the website.

The original design was done by Paul Willenborg for MAN magazine in the USA. Plans are definitely still available from this source as I ordered myself a set a couple of months ago.

Website is https://secure.rcstore.com.

Go to plans sections, then planes, then ducted fan and the plan is number FSP01901 X01901
price $14.95. Hope this helps.

Stephen, lovely looking build. Have you seen the designers own conversion thread on RCGroups where he used a Mega 16/15/4 inrunner?

Hi Ken,                                                                                                                                                         

I have looked through my magazine archives,and can confirm there is a Fantrainer model

done as a free plan in the October 1998 Electric Flight International magazine( now called

Q&EFI) It should still be available as a back issue,as Traplet publications hold most issues

the model is around 36ins for a speed 400 motor,if you cant get this issue,i beleive they

have the plan at about £5 add p+p hope this helps you,model is coming along very

nicely by the way stephen!

Steve

The thread on rcgroups is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65703.

The MAN plan I quoted IS the same plan that you are building from, except that it was originally published in MAN many years before it was published in RCSQ.

Another interesting point to note is that the Magicalia plans service still offer the clear plastic moulded canopy to fit the MAN/RCSQ plan you are building, even though they don't offer the plan anymore.

Go to www.myhobbystore.com and search on  CANRC1664

CANRC1664 - £7.45 inc. 17.5% VAT

Note that the Traplet fantrainer is a different design completely and the canopy won't fit the model being discussed in this thread.

Thanks Alan,

I read that thread from start to finish a very interesting read and it looks as though ill be on to a winner with this model. 90 - 100mph he was getting from his setup and that suits my flying style too

PS i think that canopy may well be the same so i`m going to give it a go cheers Alan for that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again ,

My fantrainer by Paul Willenborg has moved along the construction stage a bit further now all parts have been constructed. And the canopy from www.myhobbystore.com has arrived and is the correct size.

I have built it so light i have decided to glass the front fuselage and very nice it looks too for my 1st time ever glassing anything. I decided to glass it to give extra strength and so i can give it a nice paint job too.

Being electric i can go to town on the paint job as i never have before .Although i have not yet covered the main wings in tissue and dope yet i have weighed all the parts including radio gear and 1500ma lipo and a Kmax bl2210/30 motor and it only weighs 24oz that's 10oz less than paul willenborg`s electric conversion came to and 2oz heavier than his cox .049 powered model . So i guess i will need a 150 watt motor 

Hummm , now what color paint job should i chose silver wings may be hard to see in are gray Sky's

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

my plane was a free plan from , i think radio scale . I am still waiting for a motor before i do any final assembly the one i ordered was an out-runner . As i am new to this i received an out-runner however it is meant to be fitted on the inside of the model . How confusing all i wanted was a motor to fit on the outside of the model and run in reverse as the prop i have is a tractor and will be pushing the model along . 

/sites/3/images/member_albums/33715/su27_4.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/33715/su1.jpg

Let me know if your stuggling with the motor and ill see what might be upto the job. Dunno if you saw my liitle Su-27 later that day but that will get 100mph on a similar weight aiframe . I take it its not a "true EDF" ..its more of a small prop in a shroud kinda thing ??

The motor I had in mine was a grayson driving a 6x4 ..what size ducting is in the fantrainer ..I presume smaller tha 6" internal ??

Never used one either but these are the Mega specs.

Weight: 76g
Dimensions: 28 x 36.4mm
Shaft Diameter: 3.2mm
No Load Speed: 2200rpm/1V
Maximum Current: 25A
Resistance of armature: 22.5 mohm
Number of Poles: 6
Number of Winds: 4

So basically you want a 2200kv-ish motor  that will happily spin  a 4in prop. First check your 1500 lipos are rated at 20c  which is about the norm these days so you can drag approx 30amps from them. If they're only rated at 10c you can only expect to see around 15amps max so you could damage them  if you push them further.

Even something like a  2212-06 (2200kv) runs better on a slighly bigger (6x4 or maybe 5x5) prop but when you're getting down to a 4" dia  youve not got much blade with a conventional prop. Might be ok with a 3 blader ??

How about putting an EDF (ducted fan) in there instead. You can get a basic one for half the price of the Mega motor and it'll save you the trouble of making a duct . Pretty shure you can get a complete 68mm EDF  for under £30 complete with motor that should give you ample thrust on around 20 - 25 amps.

Hi Dave,

Nar , don`t fancy putting a EDF unit in there seen it done and it looks crap and did not have a great performance either . Although i am looking at making my own 5 bladed fan to go in there  just like the real thing , i have made the blades i just need to set them   into a disc and test when i receive my motor . Not shure wot i am going to receive from go brushless yet as i sent back a motor which is ment to be fitted within the model. 

• 3 weeks later...

hi Stephen. may be I've miss-understood something here but surely a brushless motor will run whichever way you want and don't most if not all outrunners have a shaft which can be made to protrude from either end allowing an external fitting in a pusher situation. Also a quicklook at this may be benificial as I reckon this motor might be suitable for your purpose. high kv for the small prop, and will comfortably handle 150w on a 3s lipo, they are a good motor I've got a few from this range and non have let me down yet hope it helps

regards phil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,

sorry about the delay ive been away , then busy doing jobs around the house , and then to top it off the whole family got ill . Any how yes ive got that motor thanks and is running the prop at 20,000 rpm peak .and pulling 135 amps not shure it will be enough though .after taking it to the field my pals reckion it will fly it although might not be fantastic. Model still needs painting and servos fitting hoping to get that finished this week , i have cut down a 8x6 prop to see if will be any in provement  on the 3 blader .

ps more pictures to follow

Opps yes,

135 watts, but hang on ....... ive re`tested on a fully recharged battery ,  150 watts ....but....

i cut down a cheap two bladed 8x6 prop to suit my duct  and was pulling 170 watts  .

I have started painting the plane now so when the paint job is finished and servos in place i will re test to see wot i can come up with .

Oh and phill the motor i sent back was a helli motor with an integral fan on which meant i could not reverse it , however it did boast better kvm . 

cheers for the help so far guys,