Radio 35meg

The telemetry in the modules is fairly limited unless you buy a plug-in "dashboard" (and find somewhere to mount it!). But it will beep at you if either the received signal strength or battery volts drop below a certain level.

As supplied, the battery volts alarm seems to be set for four-cell Nixx packs, but the signal level is particularly useful when doing a ground range check before flying.

So yes, the basic alarms will work and are independent of the system they are plugged in to.

--

Pete

Advert

I think the main concern that I now have with 35 MHz is that complacency has bred from the assumption that 'everybody else is now on 2.4 GHz and so I don't need to worry about the peg board'.

I have seen several members of my current club use 35 MHz in the last year. I haven't seen a single peg go anywhere near the board on the side of the clubhouse in the whole 3 years that I've been a member.

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 06/04/2018 14:28:58:

I think the main concern that I now have with 35 MHz is that complacency has bred from the assumption that 'everybody else is now on 2.4 GHz and so I don't need to worry about the peg board'.

I have seen several members of my current club use 35 MHz in the last year. I haven't seen a single peg go anywhere near the board on the side of the clubhouse in the whole 3 years that I've been a member

i'm going to keep away from clubs for the time being, my local one in my mind was terrible for arguements, they were toys, i'm into classic vws and its the same there too, theyre all toys just bloody pricey ones...lol

i'm going to go the 2.4 route but use my ff9 to see if i still wont to carry on..

I personally love 35meg but will be venturing into 2.4 soon .I have a couple of rx's already 6 ch Dx2 s if I recall .Not seen 'em for a while.LOL but would like to know what the cheapest Tx would be ? I am only on low income so can't afford a super Tx. I've seen some on Bang /Good that look ok but need advice . All comments welcome.

Oldie Newby Dept. John

Onetenor: You need to provide a bit more info for advice. You say you have a couple of Dx2 receviers - did you mean DSM-2 - Spektrum? Also is your 35 MHz Tx modular?

If the answer to both these is "yes", then the cheapest way forward for you is an Orange DSM-X module:

**LINK**

That link is for the JR version, but they also do a Futaba one as well. Just one word of warning - the DSM-X compatibility is not 100%! If you buy any Bind'N'Fly DSM-X models, the throttle function won't work unless you force it into DSM-2 mode.

If the answer to either question is "no", then we need more info to advise!

--

Pete

• 4 months later...

Nowt wrong with 35mhz and I still use it. Have to be on the ball as I thought I was the only one on 35 at our club 50th celebration and didn't get the frequency board out, turned out there were several others that day but no clashes. Getting too complacent with 2.4 Gig

John

I just converted my 35 mhz futaba T6EXA with a 2,4 ghz Frsky module from Hobbyking. It only cost £30 with a receiver:

**LINK**

**LINK**

It was very simple to fit after I figured out which wires do what. Steps involved:

1. Identify the three wires for the new module batt+, batt- (gnd) and PPM. PPM was labelled MOD in my case.

2 Unsolder seven wires from the RF board. They come off dead easy. Remove the board and aerial.

3. Solder and insulate the three wires to the new RF board and insulate the other four.

4. Drill three holes for the two new switches and LED.

5. Hot-melt glue everything in place and screw in the new aerial to the old socket.

Now I have a nice 6ch 2.4 ghz transmitter with dual rates, exponential, differential and reverse for up to 6 models. Dead easy to use too, no complicated new settings to try and figure out. the only thing you have to make sure is that you only buy receivers that are compatible with that module.

futaba t6exa outside.jpg

futaba t6exa inside.jpg

Yes, I use 35Mhz and it is definitely still good.

I got into model flying in the mid 1980's with traditional models, 2 stroke engines and Sanwa radio gear.

In 1994 I stopped due to a house move, young family etc. but kept all my stuff. I started flying again last year having refurbished my old Wot4 (Mk1) and my Mick Reeves Gangster - yes honestly! They both flew last year and are still ready to go - guided using the two complete sets of the 35MHz Sanwa Conquest Mk2 radio I bought in 1984. I replaced all the old Nicads with new Nimh's, and both aircraft have different 2 stroke engines now. I brought the Wot4 down from an Irvine 61 to an Irvine 40 so I could use it as trainer to re-learn how to fly without scaring myself too much. The Gangster now has an Irvine 52 instead of the previous Super Tigre 45 - to use a bigger prop at lower rpm and so reduce the noise level.

Yes I am an old traditional modeller. But I do now have some 2.4GHz gear and I am working up to getting some electric aeroplanes in the air before too long. Nevertheless, my next big project is going to be a traditional build Tigermoth powered by an OS80 four-stroke I bought from a club mate 30 years ago.

The old stuff - radio, aircraft and engines - are all still usable and good fun too!