Radio 35meg

After 10-11 years break from flying I'm going to try and get back into flying.

going through my gear i've everything apart from a clue about what tranny to use, i've ff9 that i bought a year or so new before i stopped flying but now everything is 2.4..... is it worth using my old gear or not even thinking about

cheers,

Advert

Hi Kenny

I've got an FF9 of the exact same age and I still use it regularly. It's been a quality bit of kit that I've had great use out of.

Bear in mind that the RF part of this transmitter is a removable module so you can fit a 2.4GHz module if you like or stay on 35MHz). There are at least 4 manufacturers of 2.4GHz modules that fit, so you would have to evaluate their features and decide which one suits you best.

I use my FF9 on both 35MHz and 2.4. The disadvantages to 35MHz now are the lack of frequency control at some sites (both club and remote sites such as slope soaring), but the advantages are that not many people fly on 35MHz and that used high-end receivers are available cheaply.

It's a pay-your-money-take your choice type decision...

The FF9 is a nice radio . It would be a shame not to use it and you may have to spend a lot of money to get anything of that quality. 35 is fine although the comments made about control could be valid depending on where you fly. Another option that has already been offered which is to use a 2.4 module to convert it. An option to consider is the FRaky module. These and the matching receivers are incredible value for money they seem well made and totally reliable I have not heard anything negative about them. All my glow models are using a JR 9pcm9 and frsky2.4 bits

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 05/04/2018 12:40:49:

Hi Kenny

I've got an FF9 of the exact same age and I still use it regularly. It's been a quality bit of kit that I've had great use out of.

Bear in mind that the RF part of this transmitter is a removable module so you can fit a 2.4GHz module if you like or stay on 35MHz). There are at least 4 manufacturers of 2.4GHz modules that fit, so you would have to evaluate their features and decide which one suits you best.

I use my FF9 on both 35MHz and 2.4. The disadvantages to 35MHz now are the lack of frequency control at some sites (both club and remote sites such as slope soaring), but the advantages are that not many people fly on 35MHz and that used high-end receivers are available cheaply.

It's a pay-your-money-take your choice type decision...

thinking i'll get the module and give it ago, just looked up spectrum model for £90, i thinks its worth a punt to see if i feell like getting back into it 100%.

long gone are my examiner days i'll just stick to local farmers fields and see what happens.

Posted by Kenny Johnson on 05/04/2018 15:07:23:

thinking i'll get the module and give it ago, just looked up spectrum model for £90, i thinks its worth a punt to see if i feell like getting back into it 100%.

Good Grief! That's over 4 times the cost of a FrSky module! For that money, you could have the FrSky module and three receivers!

Don't be put off by the price! FrSky stuff is good! Checkout T9Hobbysport (amongst others...)

--

Pete

Kenny

If you are just flying from farmers fields (and alone?) then stick with your 35 meg. It works just as well as 2.4 and in some cases even better. The only issues are when you fly from a club when strict frequency control is a must.

In general so few use 35 you are very unlikely to get accidentally 'shot down' by anyone (or you shoot down someone else!) unless you fly within a couple of miles of an active 35 meg club.

If you find you want to get seriously back into 'club' flying then move to 2.4

In practical terms, check the batteries in your kit. If in doubt, bin the batteries. Bin the switches. Don't spend anything until you are back in the groove, then look round at what others use, and take your time. What you have got was good then, and still good today. But don't move on to 2.4 in haste, make the right choice for you, don't get bounced into it by the noisiest can rattling down the road. Welcome back to this vale of tears, doubt, and self flagellation.

Posted by Peter Christy on 05/04/2018 16:01:11:
Posted by Kenny Johnson on 05/04/2018 15:07:23:

Good Grief! That's over 4 times the cost of a FrSky module! For that money, you could have the FrSky module and three receivers!

Don't be put off by the price! FrSky stuff is good! Checkout T9Hobbysport (amongst others...)

--

Pete

I totaly agree with Peter.
This module will fit the FF9.
Coupled with one of these D8 or D4 receivers you have a good solid setup which includes basic audio warning of low Rx battery & when Rx is near max rf range at no extra cost.

Posted by Don Fry on 05/04/2018 16:41:00:

In practical terms, check the batteries in your kit. If in doubt, bin the batteries. Bin the switches. Don't spend anything until you are back in the groove, then look round at what others use, and take your time. What you have got was good then, and still good today. But don't move on to 2.4 in haste, make the right choice for you, don't get bounced into it by the noisiest can rattling down the road. Welcome back to this vale of tears, doubt, and self flagellation.

hi Don

just been over my batteries and put them in the "to be binned" pile, reading these posts has made my mind up for the frsky gear..... I want to get back into flying but nothing like I use to, the club I joined where I live really smacked the fun out of the hobby, I've a couple of the dreaded drones that I've been flying for a couple years but always ended up flying them around like helis and just forget to take photos like theyre are ment for...lol

ken

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 05/04/2018 16:07:14:

Kenny

If you are just flying from farmers fields (and alone?) then stick with your 35 meg. It works just as well as 2.4 and in some cases even better. The only issues are when you fly from a club when strict frequency control is a must.

In general so few use 35 you are very unlikely to get accidentally 'shot down' by anyone (or you shoot down someone else!) unless you fly within a couple of miles of an active 35 meg club.

If you find you want to get seriously back into 'club' flying then move to 2.4

thinking i'll get the frsky gear and also use the 35meg, must admit looking forward to sorting out the gear and treating myself to a couple of kits(you know the wife is going to regret this again)

ken

Posted by Percy Verance on 05/04/2018 16:22:59:

I agree fully with Simon.

It's also worth remembering that 35mhz was a band exclusive to model flying, with no other users. That can't be said of 2.4ghz.....

I always found 35mhz worked perfectly for me. Any problems or issues I saw were caused by human failings, not 35mhz failings .........

The only thing wrong with Percy's comment is the tense. 35Mhz is still an exclusive model flying frequency. I use 2.4gHz and I've had no problems but always lurking at the back of my mind is the fact that everyone and his dog uses 2.4gHz (including our doorbell!) and it just may come back to bite us.

My first tentative steps into 2.4gHz was a Frsky module plugged into the back of an old FF7 Super and that worked very well. I also used a Frsky DiY module so that I could use my then main transmitter (a Mux3030) on Frsky 2.4 gHz. I nw have Frsky Taranis and Horus transmitters and they're brilliant.

Remember the main cost of a radio system isn't the single purchase of the transmitter but the repeated cost of receivers and Frsky come out well on that score.

Having said that I still have several models with Mux IPD receivers on 35Mhz which perform perfectly. It'ms just that they're not quite so immune to being shot down by someone on the same channel but that's becoming increasingly unlikely

Geoff

No, all my gear is now 2.4. Sold 99% of my 35 meg stuff a while back. Kept a couple of JR Max 5's, a X347 and a Futaba FF7 and a Challenger 6 for nostalga reasons. Only have 2 JR rx's left, but won't use them for flight again

Edited By Paul Marsh on 05/04/2018 20:32:14

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 05/04/2018 20:28:18:
Posted by Percy Verance on 05/04/2018 16:22:59:

I agree fully with Simon.

It's also worth remembering that 35mhz was a band exclusive to model flying, with no other users. That can't be said of 2.4ghz.....

I always found 35mhz worked perfectly for me. Any problems or issues I saw were caused by human failings, not 35mhz failings .........

The only thing wrong with Percy's comment is the tense. 35Mhz is still an exclusive model flying frequency. I use 2.4gHz and I've had no problems but always lurking at the back of my mind is the fact that everyone and his dog uses 2.4gHz (including our doorbell!) and it just may come back to bite us.

My first tentative steps into 2.4gHz was a Frsky module plugged into the back of an old FF7 Super and that worked very well. I also used a Frsky DiY module so that I could use my then main transmitter (a Mux3030) on Frsky 2.4 gHz. I nw have Frsky Taranis and Horus transmitters and they're brilliant.

Remember the main cost of a radio system isn't the single purchase of the transmitter but the repeated cost of receivers and Frsky come out well on that score.

Having said that I still have several models with Mux IPD receivers on 35Mhz which perform perfectly. It'ms just that they're not quite so immune to being shot down by someone on the same channel but that's becoming increasingly unlikely

Geoff

Interesting- I have two FF7’s that could do with conversion. Both have new batteries and have been checked so the FrSky modules sound a good option. Knowing nothing about FrSky can I ask which module and which receivers I should go for?

Thanks for help and info

S

The only thing against 35 MHz occurs if you still have old models with it installed but are now mainly using 2.4 in your latest models then one day decide to fly that. old hanger queen, and forget to extend the 35 Tx ariel, don't ask me how I know !!

Edited By Mowerman on 06/04/2018 11:19:34

This is the Futaba compatible module:

**LINK**

And any of the D-series receivers:

**LINK**

You could also use V series receivers (without telemetry), but you would either have to remember to switch between the different types, or some V receivers will bind to a D Tx by using a jumper when binding. Simpler to stick with D series!

BTW, don't be put off by the quoted 60mW quoted power output for the module. ALL legal 2.4 GHz Txs are 60mW output! The aerials have 2dB of gain, which brings the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) up to 100mW.

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Christy on 06/04/2018 11:20:12:

This is the Futaba compatible module:

**LINK**

And any of the D-series receivers:

**LINK**

You could also use V series receivers (without telemetry), but you would either have to remember to switch between the different types, or some V receivers will bind to a D Tx by using a jumper when binding. Simpler to stick with D series!

BTW, don't be put off by the quoted 60mW quoted power output for the module. ALL legal 2.4 GHz Txs are 60mW output! The aerials have 2dB of gain, which brings the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) up to 100mW.

--

Pete

i'm going to order these this weekend, aint got no planes yet as they got all thown in a heated debate with the wifey....lol

kenny