Dead LiFe battery...

Rich too

I thought I would bring one of my planes out of hibernation and charge the LiFe batteries. The initial charge went ok, but when it finished I noticed the charger on 3s, and indicating 9.9v!! The batteries are 2s.

Very odd. I tried the next battery and the charger seemed to recognise the battery as 3s. Never had an issue before. Eventually, I was able to manually set the charger correctly and charge the second.

I thought I should remove the first battery to check it. This is what I found:

img_3020.jpg

surprise wow, I did not expect that, and I will have to closely monitor charging in future. I have no idea what happened, perhaps the battery was faulty, perhaps the charger. And I am guessing that if this was a LIPO it would probably have gone up in flames, possibly taking my garage with it. frown

Advert

No, definetely charged it as LiFe. The charger would have checked and rejected it anyway? Initially, I thought the charger was at fault but now I think the battery was faulty. You have to set the LiFe charge to the correct voltage (2s) so don’t understand why the charger didn’t reject it when it recognised it as 3s. I’ll watch the charges more closely in future.

No, I don't think so Rich. If it was already fairly well charged as a LiFe and you put it on the charger as a LiPo, its very unlikely the charger would reject that. A 2s Life with reasonable charge - ie not flat - could be at 6.6v, that quite acceptable to most chargers as a low voltage for a nearly, but not completely, discharged 2s LiPo.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/05/2018 20:34:32

If you had the balance lead connected and the charger was in balance mode, and it still allowed a charge at 3s on a 2s pack, then I would be looking to the charger being at fault. It is my understanding confirmed when I was charging a pack which had a broken balance pin that it should have registered a connection fault and stopped the charge.

I had a LiFe go like that but I had left the charger on a LiPo setting. If the charger just started to charge without asking you to confirm the cell count then it's likely the balance port has a dodgy connector and it's working as a non-balanced charge. I've had that when the balance board wasn't plugged in correctly.

I had a LiFe swell up on me recently. It was being balance charged and took longer than usual to charge, even showing much higher mAh being put back. But trusting the charger and battery I let the process continue but after some more time when I touched the battery I found it warm so terminated the charge. While removing the leads I realized that balance lead was not connected properly and seemed to be loose in the socket.
Could that have led to the situation?
Thankfully the battery had only slight swell and not as bad. The pack was set aside not for use

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 16/05/2018 20:49:02:

Were you actually charging in the plane?.

You can see why it is not recommended as any 'fault' condition is likely to damage the plane or at worst completely destroy it.. .

Yes, always - one of the reasons I use LiFe batteries over LIPO.