Advert

Can't see anything listed on the Flightech website and the manufacturers website links to My Hobby. There are a couple of build threads on this and other forums.

I bought one from the previous distributor (Flying Dog)  when they were much cheaper. Then, they were incredible value for money. The mouldings quality is excellent and the wings are superb. If I had to be hyper-critical, I would guess that the finish quality is not as good as a £800+ glass ship - but even with the current price hike, you're not paying that kind of money!

Everything supplied was fit for purpose, except the control horns, which I DIY'ed. I also replaced the bar/box wing joiner with a longer one, though the manufacturer insists that the kit article is sufficient. The wing hinges needed lots of careful fettling to get them moving full and free, but this is an acknowledged part of the build process. The polar veneers are fairly closely matched and I settled for finishing them with just WBP varnish (Ronseal).

The wing mounting was fiddly to achieve, involving lots of patient assembly and removal before epoxying the mounting plates into the fuselage. I glassed the v-tails prior to spray finishing the entire fuselage/tail.

I finished it in August 2017 and (due to circs...) it has yet to maiden, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I would certainly look a one of the smaller models in the range as a more convenient chuck about model.

Edited By Mike T on 26/05/2018 12:06:46

Edited By Mike T on 26/05/2018 12:07:29

I have an Elf (3 actually) and recently bought a broken Mefisto which I've now repaired but not yet flown. I did see it fly before it's mishap though & was a good flier.

The build is very straight forward & the gear supplied is more than adequate.

The Elf is absolutely perfect for those 5-10kt days. Floats on very light lift but will still motor along when the lift picks up, especially if you ballast it.

Just keep in mind for the Elf that it's not designed to be a racer so it's light & not bullet proof. You can flutter the tail when ballasted & the fuselage will break around the wing saddle if you bash it in on landing.

If you want something a bit tougher the 2m First + is a great all round sloper & much more hardy than the elf. The Hammer is also really nice & if it wasn't for the shipping & $ conversion rates to Australia I'd have a Vampire. Those are extraodinary value for what they are & fly great.

I thoroughly recommend their kits.

Al

I have both the Mefisto and Hammer. I think they were both excellent value for money when I purchased them from Flyingdog at least four years ago. Both have had 1 pair of replacement wings due to being used almost daily!

• 2 weeks later...

Very pleased with my Serafin and an Elf soon to be finished. I bought direct from Artur in Poland and price was very good and shipping was 20 euro for 2 models (hammer and elf). http://www.blejzyk.pl/en/price-list.html as I didn't know he had a new agent in the UK!

Edited By Neil Rothwell 1 on 14/06/2018 13:59:47

• 5 months later...

Hi Glider Guys, First of all appologies, if I'm in the wrong thread. If so I'm happy to be redirected. I enjoy casual slope and thermal gliding with my volantex P2000 V2 and ASW28 V2 foamies. I love the noiseless flying with the local Red Kites. In summer I can get over an hour with four minutes of motor, and have a Taranis Plus for programming various "subtlties wing settings"!!! I've only been flying for four years, and am retired in my seventies. I fly mainly on the slopes of the Chilterns, but I have flown successfully off the Cornish cliffs, also.

I'm currently "wondering" about possible options for more thermally performing gliders between 2 to 3meters, to better catch the higher thermals, and for the related eyesite reasons. My flying area has a few prickly bramble runners hiding in the grass, so, that puts me off thinking about covered skeleton type wings. (I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, I'm just looking at practicalities for me).

I'm definitely not looking to break the bank, but for example the Geronima is a nice looking and lighter weight glider and might well be the next sort of step to take. HOWEVER I would like to hear some suggestions about possible models and comments on how thorn proof their various stock types of wings might be. On my foamies, I do apply 3M clear tape to the leading edges which seems to work very well, this does of course add extra weight, but preserves the wings. My foamies have the typical Volantex plastic fuselages, but I land on grass, so fibreglass fuses would probably be OK???? My budget would prefer to be under £400.oo fully equipped with electric motor and all servos. Yes, probably a few chuckles out there, but I'm having a try, and maybe there's a few others out there with a similar quest???? I'm not into finding highly technical build solutions, having limited experience, other than buying foamie kits and then fitting servos and motors. (very basic stuff)

I look forward to your various comments, observations, and experiences, with whichever suggested models you might come forward with. Tell me the budget is crazy, and make further suggestions, if you think that can help me and other like minded aspiring thermally folks.

Go With the Flow Bruce