Cambrian models funfighters

bees

Was looking to purchase the Cambrian models electric ME-109 and was wondering if anybody can comment on this model regarding building and flying capabilities. bought the Elan glider from them a couple of years ago and was pleased withe the build and flying.

Advert

Posted by Chris Walby on 02/06/2018 23:02:00:

I have an electric ME109, easy to build and flies will, but rather old school and not very fast (I am pushing 840w/lb). There are name sake and far eastern versions that are more up to date, cheaper and faster!

IMHO

I have had both the Spitfire and ME109, but would not bother again. They were heavy for their size, needed a .32 for a good hand launch, and glided like a brick. There are much better hard foamy equivalents out there now, that are faster, lighter, glide well and look fantastic. Oh, an can be put together in an hour!.

I have not had the ME109, but have had the long nose Dora FW190, I electrified it ,on the first flight I thought I had put a 4 S battery in by mistake it was VERY fast , on landing and checking the battery it was on 3S, they may be all built in a similar way, and built with balsa etc. but why fix anything when its not broke? and if you do happen to crash the thing, you built it, you can repair it,the spares are available in this country- try and get a canopy for a far east foamy, I would say build it ,electricfy it and enjoy.

I have to disagree, so once you have bought it, made it, covered it, fitted the servos, ESC, motor and prop, will have change out of £129.80? cheeky

You still won't have:
• 100mph+ performance right out of the box (on 4S set-up).
• Specially designed 3536-1780kv brushless motor with high-speed Japanese bearings.
• Powerful and fast 9g digital servos.
• 3S or 4S as standard
• Supplied with 8x6 propeller for 3S and 7x6.5 propeller for 4S set-ups.
• Super Compressed EPO foam construction.
• Larger internal capacity
• Glass and carbon fiber reinforcement throughout the airframe.
• Full wing length spar
• No glue assembly. Just clicks and screws together in minutes.
• Ball link control system.
• FPV Mount
• Slope soaring nose cone
Full complement of spare parts available.

Failing that how about a Cambria fun fighter?

Posted by Chris Walby on 02/06/2018 23:02:00:

I have an electric ME109, easy to build and flies will, but rather old school and not very fast (I am pushing 840w/lb). There are name sake and far eastern versions that are more up to date, cheaper and faster!

IMHO

On 840 watts/lb I'm surprised you don't rip the wings off at full throttle. 84 watts/lb?

Geoff

Geoff, I wanted something a couple of years ago that was quick and easy to build, did not cost much (in cast I buried it) and in all fast in flight

As a bit of fun I when up to the BMFA for a day of pylon racing (check out the superb venue) and see what this area of the hobby had to offer. It was a great day seeing some truly ballistic ic and electric planes flown with awesome skill.

I managed 8 out of 10 laps before dead sticking with lipos at 2% and hot to handle, but what was very clear was that a guy with a EFX paid less, flew faster, got 10 laps easily and had just as much fun!

I am all for building and really enjoy balsa bashing although not very good at it, but some things have improved with modern materials and techniques. Thinner wing profile, less frontal area and probably less drag. The lesson learnt is if you want speed don't bother increasing the power, just get something more slippery!

If I ever need another fun fighter/pylon racer it would be a EFX/V300 or a Cambria FF as both are more slippery modern designs (IMO). The first unpack add RX and fly with the other the fun/time building first.

The OP was for an electric FF....although if its speed best invite Dick along with his glider! smiley

Sorry guys i have mislead you slightly. First it has to be electric, second i was looking at something to build myself and iam not too bothered about all out speed as i have a couple of models that are ballistic. I looked at the Me-109 simple because you built it yourself (something to past my time with in the evenings) and it looked something like scale. my main concern is does it fly well and how fast does in come in when landing. Been on Cambria funfighters website but not a lot of imfo, are these models better than cambrian gunfighters.

I've built a Cambrian p-51 and a Cambria Kawasaki Hein. Slightly different construction techniques but both simple.

If you enjoyed building the Elan then I think you will enjoy a Cambrian funfighter. The Cambria models have been modified to have a thinner wing section to make them better suited for "Reno 300" racing and my Hein is fast enough for my 40 year old reactions.

I've bought spare parts for both models in the last couple of years (new wing for the P-51 - old one got chewed by a mouse!) and a canopy for the Hein as I slipped when trimming the original. Both companies had exemplary after-sales service.

Either manufacturers models fly well so there is not a clear choice between them in my opinion.

Do take on board the advice from others: they are heavily loaded compared to a foamy warbird, they need a good handlaunch and they need the speed kept up on landing. They fly well in windy weather though!

Just a point, you chuck these to launch. It's a learnt skill. An easier way is to lunch up a bungee ramp. HobbyKing sell one. Plagiarise the design.

Another system uses a piece of broken dingy mast, you can get bits from boat builders for the price of a pint. Use a modified sail slide for the connector between the hook on the plane and bungee. When I used one of these, on a bipod, the plane was running at good flying speed after it left the 2 meter mast piece.

Edited By Don Fry on 04/06/2018 14:58:58

Or even better, just learn how to launch! It's then free and less kit to take to field, no bungee to lay out for club mates to trip over etc.

There are several funfighter videos on YouTube (some even at Weston Park) and you can see the variety of launching techniques used. If you have enough power and a breeze to launch into I recommend the underarm launch as being easier and faster to get your hands back on the sticks.

I enjoyed building & flying an ME109 Cambrian funfighter way back in the early 80s
on a 'cooking' .19 glow.
It looked realistic in flight but I seem to remember it did need the speed kept on
during landing as others have said.
Mine stalled & crashed when it went dead stick - the piston seized in the poor
quality engine.
It should be good on electric power.

Edited By Richard Wood on 04/06/2018 15:54:03