FUEL

Tel

Hi All

Asking questions to gain a bit of knowledge!! Bought a secondhand wot trainer, it has a TT.42 GP engine, it came with half a bottle of ''Model Technics Quickfire 16'' is that a good or bad fuel? or if not could anyone recommend a ''better'' fuel. Many thanks, appreciate your time/advice.

Percy is correct. That is a model car fuel and not really suited to your gp42. The sport 5 fuel he recommends is just fine but can be a bit messy. I would give model technics 'laser 5' or 'techpower 5' fuel a try as they have a lower oil content and spread less goo on the model.

Thanks gents. I joined the club last week, then my mum died on Saturday!! so am arranging quiet a few things at the moment, these questions are a bit of light relief for me, give it a couple of weeks and I should be up there!! I know what you mean!! BUT, this forum is a mind of knowledge......got to tap into it....lol. Thanks again gents.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Always a difficult time.

Regarding your intro to flying try not to get too carried away and rush things. I had my first ever go at rc flying when i was 5 years old and nearly 30 years of continuous flying later i still learn new things and try to perfect what i do every time i fly. The more you put in (effort and care, not money) the more you will get back.

You have my sympathy Ted. I had the same thing 25 years ago and my mother and I were very close.

Modelling helps you to get over it.

As for mistakes, the old saying, the man who never made a mistake never made anything.

ME? I even make the same mistake twice or more sometimes.

AS for fuel. Well I like Model Technics Formula Irvine 10% because I use small and medium size engines and they both work happily on that.

Just for info, I've been running all my engines on Model Technics Laser 5 for a year now and can report no negative issues whatsoever. My 'new in box' OS 120FS-e from BMFA ads had its first run on Laser 5 last week and has run in very nicely, again nothing negative to report - pulls like a train.

Edited By Cuban8 on 16/06/2018 09:51:57

Thank you very much gents. I have even learned a lot from all your msgs now, that your a lovely bunch of fellas. Some forums you get a 'unfriendly' 'feeling'...........but within a couple on here, well........yr all great!!. Will take all your advice to heart and will get on with it!! thanks again. Tel.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer. I want to change from castor based fuel to synthetic but not sure of the consequences, if any. I have been told it's a bad idea as it can result in the shellac? built up on the cylinder wall becoming dislodged and gumming up the engine resulting in an engine strip and re-build. Others say just do it, it will be fine. These engines are not the old OS plain bearing but modern ball raced engines. Help please. indecision

the only thing you will need to do is tune the engine for the new fuel and that should be a 2 minute job. Once the needles are all set you will be good to go.

It will take quite some time to flush out all the castor so don't be surprised if you get a whiff of it for a while yet.

As discussed previously, model technics laser 5 or techpower 5 would be my suggestions

I swapped from fuels containing castor to Laser 5% which is pure synthetic and had no problems. The castor gum on the outside of the engines remains castor gum, but those engines that have never seen castor are clean as a whistle. I doubt there will be any noticable varnish build up on a modern engines piston and cylinder unless they have seen a lot of running, that was something that you saw on old iron/steel piston and liners. 4 strokes may have some carbon build upon the exhaust valve stems but that will blow out of the exhaust eventually.

Go synthetic, the only thing you will see is less mess on the models.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 17/06/2018 11:06:28

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 17/06/2018 13:54:21:

Thanks Percy. I have been using their castor based 5% always been reliable. Just checked out Irvine 5% £20-£25 per gallon. Southern 5% £15. Sounds like a sound buy to me. wink

Don't rule out the model technics show deals. The laser 5 is often down around 14 or 15 quid as well.

I will be in residence up there all weekend as I am flying in 3 different slot types. Its partly in support of laser but also I do enjoy the flying. I hope to have our petrol prototypes in the air for their public debut so that will be...exciting.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 17/06/2018 15:25:42:

It was £15.50 yesterday at Weston Park

not bad.

Incidentally, the flying program for WW this year is looking much more varied than previous years so im quite looking forward to it