MAK 15 MP

I need a new and different project. and I remembered my CO2 powered free flight model from the early 1990s.

This rather unusual Russian powered glider was based on the MAK 15 glider. I only had a very small silhouette 3 view and small photo. The model was 22 span and flew like a dream

mak 15 mp co2.jpg

A little while ago I got hold of a CD with photos, drawings and even a bideo. The text was in Russian.

I made the mistake of mentioning the idea to Graham Ashby who promptly insisted on having the plans.

The model will be electric powered and 71" span with about 625 sq in. of area

I can say that designing the thing is a bit of a nightmare but it will be quite simple to build.

Comments welcomed/.

Don't hold your breaths, It will take a little while before I start building, well, a few weeks.

I can tell you that there will be 40 wing ribs to cut out. from about 20" long down to about 7 1/2"

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/06/2018 14:02:34

Advert

A Peter Miller post, on here for two days and no replies - that must be a record. Everybody watching the world cup?

Love the design Peter - but electric? Something a little smaller for diesel/glow and I'd be on the case.

The fuselage is very reminiscent of Ringtail, and Australian C/L design from the late 50s/early 60s, which had twin booms. Possibly an r/c conversion - I'm considering it at the moment.

Isn't an .09 a bit small for 72" wingspan Peter? That size is way too big for my shed - I was thinking of something around 48" max. - about as big as I can handle (unfortunately) these days after moving house not too long ago and inheriting a very small shed!

As for the print shop suggestion - I would prefer to redraw the plan in vector format and scale it. That way I can resize the wood to be correct. Drawing and illustration is what I did for a living for many years - I now seem to spend a lot of rainy days chained to the Applemac since retiring, purely for enjoyment. Sad, or what?

Going back to my previous post - I'm surprised nobody seems interested in this plan. I think it's great, so assume that It can only be the electrickery thing - the only downside for me - hence my earlier comment.

Diesel in the blood, but I can stretch to glow when needed thinking.

I like it Peter. I am an ic nut, but getting to grips with electric. Your Easter Eagle is a great flier, so no doubt this new project will be too. 71inches is also good for me at my adavanced age lol. Only trouble is that I was going to build the EE senior, but I might wait a bit. Cheers

Goeff. This is a powered glider. My Kitehawk is adequately powered with a .06 or 1 cc engine. and that is 61" span. It would fly on an .049. a .09 would be fine

Fly Boy. Don't hold your breath. I have only just started design and the design side is far more complicated than most. While the CO2 great I have to find out how this one will fly. IT should but.

Now the Easter Eagle senior is a real dream. There is the original version but that has a carbon fibre tail boom at a mere 55" span.

I did design another version with a similar fuselage to the Senior but it was published in the USA

Posted by Peter Miller on 18/06/2018 21:03:00:

Now that sounds reasonable. Should be a nice model.

Maybe, once I have done the drawings I will send you PDF files so you can play with that size. How about that

Thanks for the photo Peter. It looks even 'odder' (is that a word?) in the flesh, but definitely worth following up.

Totally bored with watching the 'wrestling match' between England & Tunisia, I switched it off, fired up the Mac and started drawing, after first downloading your plan and opening it up in Illustrator. It came out at 10" span, so I'll trace that, then scale it later to suit the Boddo diesel. After that I can alter the wood sizes to suit. Hope you don't object to my 'playing about' with your work.

I've done the wing plan and ribs already! I can send you a .pdf when I've got as far as I can, so you can compare it.

A copy of yours would be most welcome when it's ready, just to see where I've (no doubt) gone wrong. No rush for this, as I've currently got several other plans on the go. I find it pays to keep at least a couple of jobs on at any one time - I ike to have a break from just one job.

Thanks again for your offer.

I do like the occasional weird and wonderful project. Most of them do not work well if at all but I know that this one does fly.

Yes, the wing plan does go right back to the elevators which are flat plate of course.

Hi Geoff.

No, I don't mind in the least. Enjoy. I will PM you shortly. the 22" span version flew like a dream.

• 1 month later...

Hi again Peter,

I haven't forgotten the MAK 15, but progress is slow, due to other modelling getting done, outside in the sunshine! However, now that summer looks to be coming to an end, I actually got about an hour on the MAK drawing today when it rained for a while, but there's a lot to sort out, as you said.

Quite a challenge, all this 30-dimensional thinking, but I might possibly have something to show you soon. I'll PM you with a .pdf for you to look at, comment on, criticise or whatever - once I get a bit further.

Hi Geoff.

You have my sincere sympathy!!!

I have done my drawings and cut out a lot of the parts. and am now doing dry runs on the centre section and modifying as I go. I still have one or two or three problems to sort out.

I will let you have my pdf drawings t look at if you PM me your email address.