Fed Up!

Geoff Peacock

Advert

"Finally, in what other industry can you be so bad at your job that you are paid millions of pounds to be sacked on a Monday and then re-employed a few days or weeks later for the same money doing the same 'job' for a competitor. Its a complete non-sence."

erm, the banking industry, most of the Footsie 250.

Posted by Don Fry on 04/07/2018 18:23:22:

"Finally, in what other industry can you be so bad at your job that you are paid millions of pounds

I though we were talking about football, not about politicians...devil

Posted by trebor on 04/07/2018 18:09:25:

Some people on here should be in the padded room with a white jacket on laugh

Have you ever smelled one of they. They onk like an old dog.

I hate spellcheckers. By the way welcome Trebor. 

I actually like football. It's the sight of seeing pictures like Ronaldo, face a millimetre or so from the referee's face, simulated hardness being radiated, with intent to intimidate.

I used to be a police officer. Ronaldo would learn the meaning of pain well before that point, should he attempt that on me. And I was being paid a wage.

Edited By Don Fry on 04/07/2018 19:03:47

Tis a gloomy place you're correct, they like being gloomy n making what they believe are insightful comparisons, it's a fed up thread afterall.

Fed up myself now, no footie on and Wimbledon, whats that all about ? 2 millionaires battering a ball about n grunting, new balls kept in a fridge, youngsters got to hold yer towel then take it back full of sweat. crook

TDF next, don't get me started on them drug addled cheats, if you need an inhaler, you shouldn't be playing sport, get a lecky bike for heavens sake.

F1 ? I'm saying nowt, they accuse me of being a bad loser. wink

Professional football is in reality a branch of the entertainments industry.
Like other forms of entertainment only a relative few earn the headline wages that are quoted in the media & of course their playing career is quite short compared with most other entertainers. IMO they are no more overpaid than most of the "celebs" that clutter up our TV screens every day of the year. The majority of professional footballers have fairly modest earnings over their entire career with limited prospects outside football when that career ends.

BTW when a manager is sacked before his contract expires he doesn't get the full compensation if he takes on another job within the contract period.

Posted by PatMc on 04/07/2018 22:15:33:

Like other forms of entertainment only a relative few earn the headline wages that are quoted in the media & of course their playing career is quite short compared with most other entertainers. IMO they are no more overpaid than most of the "celebs" that clutter up our TV screens every day of the year. The majority of professional footballers have fairly modest earnings over their entire career with limited prospects outside football when that career ends.

BTW when a manager is sacked before his contract expires he doesn't get the full compensation if he takes on another job within the contract period.

The "short playing career" issue is often trotted out as an excuse for mega-wages, but one has to ask just how much does a player need? I'd have thought a wage of twenty million pounds a year would be more than enough to get just once, for the top players to keep them secure for the rest of their lives. However, one cannot account for sheer greed and the willingness of an audience to throw money away.

Posted by Cuban8 on 05/07/2018 10:37:00:

The "short playing career" issue is often trotted out as an excuse for mega-wages, but one has to ask just how much does a player need? I'd have thought a wage of twenty million pounds a year would be more than enough to get just once, for the top players to keep them secure for the rest of their lives. However, one cannot account for sheer greed and the willingness of an audience to throw money away.

Let's do some simple maths: 20 million pounds a year for a "short playing career" of, let's say, 10 years, makes 200 million quid. A normal person start working (let's be optimistic) at, let's say 17, and retires at (let's be optimistic again...) 60, i.e. 43 years. If we divide the 200 million by the 43 years, it equals to 4.65 million pounds a year. Who in this forum makes that money???

I really don't think party politics comes into it, given than many individuals on the left, right and centre ensure that they are doing very nicely, thank you, and inevitably set themselves up comfortably when the electorate becomes sick of them, or they're removed for 'naughties'. In a way they're a bit like top-flight footballers, in that a hard core of 'supporters' will rarely question the antics of the political elite.

The short playing career isn't an excuse it's simply a fact.

Why restrict your criticism to football ? What about the rest of the entertainments industry ? In fact why restrict it to the entertainment industry ? Why not include earnings in all industries ?

It is interesting how "normal" people gets upset and are so keen to defend a football start that it paid 1000 times more than him (at least...) basically to do what he like doing: play football...

You may like or not football, but the money that these guys are paid is simply obscene. And I'm with C8 on the short career, in fact that short career leaves them much more time to enjoy life than to most of us, and also with much more money to do so.

And yes, this applies to "entertainment" in general, the main difference here is that we are talking about "sport", but sport and millions normally don't get on very well. That's why I like rugby. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know of any rugby player that drives a Ferrari and have a 2billion house...

Posted by AVC on 05/07/2018 11:24:04:

Let's do some simple maths: 20 million pounds a year for a "short playing career" of, let's say, 10 years, makes 200 million quid. A normal person start working (let's be optimistic) at, let's say 17, and retires at (let's be optimistic again...) 60, i.e. 43 years. If we divide the 200 million by the 43 years, it equals to 4.65 million pounds a year. Who in this forum makes that money???l

Let's add some perspective to the maths. Only 9 footballers are in the latest Forbes top athletes earnings list which covers all sport worldwide. The footballers rank between 2nd & 86th in the list. There were 736 players in the 32 national squads at the world cup, only 6 of those players are on the Forbes list. Many of the 763 don't play in top divisions of club football. The millionaire earners are only ones who play in a small number of clubs across about 5 or 6 leagues worldwide & by no means all players at these clubs are in this earnings category.

Yes some players do earn huge sums but no more than the top entertainers in other sports or top non-sport entertainers.

Posted by AVC on 05/07/2018 12:28:47:

It is interesting how "normal" people gets upset and are so keen to defend a football start that it paid 1000 times more than him (at least...) basically to do what he like doing: play football...

You may like or not football, but the money that these guys are paid is simply obscene. And I'm with C8 on the short career, in fact that short career leaves them much more time to enjoy life than to most of us, and also with much more money to do so.

And yes, this applies to "entertainment" in general, the main difference here is that we are talking about "sport", but sport and millions normally don't get on very well. That's why I like rugby. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know of any rugby player that drives a Ferrari and have a 2billion house...

Seems like envy is the driver in this post.

Posted by PatMc on 05/07/2018 13:07:52:
Posted by AVC on 05/07/2018 12:28:47:

Seems like envy is the driver in this post.

No, not really. I probably haven't explained correctly and that's maybe why I think that you are missing the point. The point is that football, as it is today, is far from being "fair play". It cannot be fair play when there is such amount of money moving around. It is human nature, as simple as that.

Envy? Never. I am probably the happiest person I've ever met, even without a Ferrari and my body covered with tattoos smiley

Not got a Ferrari nor a tattoo either, what's your point AVC ?

You believe when I went to Farnborough on a wet Tuesday night with Doncaster Rovers supporters, we watched millionaires, tattooed or not ? and how do you know it wasn't fair play ?

Re your tattoo aversion, the yoof of many walks of life now have tattoos, even some old aeromodellers do. What's your point ?