What glue to repair 2010 Foam Spitfire

Jim D 1

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right group to post my question in but I couldn't find a more suitable one. I'd like to repair my old Parkzone Spitfire which had its wing and nose suffer broken foam. I've been looking into which glue to repair it with and there seems to be several but no conclusive brand to go for?

The issue seems to stem from the glue needing to bend/give, how light it is and whether it expands to much. Currently I'm considering Gorilla glue or Bob Smith Super Gold+.

Is there a generally accept 'best glue' for fixing foam planes? Are either of the ones I've mentioned acceptable or one better than the other?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Advert

Hi - I am a great advocate for polyurethane glues like Gorilla Glue. (Be aware that Gorilla do a number of different types of glue so don't rely on simply sending SWMBO out to ask for Gorilla glue!)

I've actually moved over to Lumberjack 5 min brand now. Very similar but sets quicker, so for those joints that are impossible to clamp, you can use this and just hold it in your hands for 5 mins, after which it can be left to finish curing.

Colin

From the builders merchant "Stick's like sh1t " Yes that is what it's called. Grips well, dry's quick but give enough time to fiddle broken bit's back into place and remains a bit flexible. Best of all it is white so suits most foamy's

My EF16 is no longer as pristine as in the pic after being chopped to bits by a nasty Habu. Still flying well though.

aeroplanes

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. There's a large spread of suggestions there. GG glue is suggested a lot, but I'm wary of it expanding. I don't need this anywhere on my model.

Lumberjack and sticks like sh1t all come in those cumbersome one shot push nozzle containers, which seems overkill for this job.

No one has suggested hot glue yet which I've been told may also be suitable. Has anyone tried that?