im now an X10 owner

r6dan

Advert

For me yes, Some are also happy with the installed FrSky system.

Don't go for 2.2.2 as I think RC5 stands for release candidate which means it is not a fully finished version. If you do install OpenTX I think you should go for 2.2.1 as that is a fully proven release.

But there are many here who better understand than me.

R6dan, only you can decide whether it's worth going to OpenTx.
I certainly would.

There's a specific process to go through to switch to OpenTx. You can find the document on the FrSky website.

Go to the X10 page, follow the link(s) to "downloads" then there's a How-To X10 X10S flashing instructions.

Download the latest version and have a good read.

I got my X10 a few months ago, it's a great radio. I am using the standard FROS and I have to say it is very capable, to be honest I am so glad I didn't go open tx. I haven't found anything that I cannot do standard, my dad got one at the same time, he went open tx, and seems to spend more time faffing about with opentx than anything. Sure opentx is better at the very edge of complexity, but for me it's just not worth it.

ive found a really good video on youtube basically talking and going through that document showing exactly how to do it.

looking ta it, seems a bit daft getting a radio like the x10 and not taking advantage of it, might as well got a normal radio, although im no tech wizz so it may take getting used to.

Bear in that mind pretty well eveyone who has used OpenTx will have used older conventional systems previously - so they have experienced both. And the vast majority of them would say "go OpenTx". Which shows that once you have experienced OpenTx few would choose to go back!

In contrast, most people who say "stick with FROS" have never tried OpenTx.

BEB

I agree when I got my Taranis a couple of years back, open tx is far more capable than the older channel limited systems I previously had, and I got on pretty well with it to be fair. I think the main restricting factors with these are the lack of channels and free mixers which FROS has pretty much for me at least solved.  That and a much more diverse range of options than sets of old.

When I got the Horus I decided to try the menu driven system it came with, and I prefer it overall. There are some areas which are not perfect, but I get on better with it. Have a go with it, you can always then choose which you prefer.

Edited By Richard Wills 2 on 17/07/2018 21:49:17

No Dan - you are approaching this completely the wrong way! There is no "ailevator menu" - it doesn't " work like that! That is the classic reason people say "OpenTx is very difficult" - because they approach it as if it were any other TX - its not. This is a entirely new way of thinking!

What you need to do is take a step back, read the basic intros to OpenTx - work through the examples to programme a simple 4 channel rudder, elevator, throttle and aileron model. That will introduce you to concepts in OpenTx like Inputs, Mixers etc. Then you can start to branch out.

If you persist with a "standard Tx" mindset and approach you will never understand OpenTx. You are not going to master this in an evening - its too powerful and deep for that.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/07/2018 22:01:04

Richard, cheers mate thats helped hahahah

BEB, you are right, I think i opened the box after work and ive been looking at it like a normal tx,like you say i need to sleep on it and look at it again tomorrow afternoon and read up more

"I'm now an X10 owner"

You should join X10 owners anonymous and get help

Seriously, I've had one for a few months and really like it. However, I loaded OpenTX to replace the Frsky OS and, If you have no experience of either OS, I'd suggest you do the same. There's loads of help here and elsewhere including an excellent manual which I downloaded.

Geoff

No it doesn't mean that at all. Using the lap top is just an option. All the pages you see in Companion on the laptop, are also there on the Tx.

When I used a Taranis I tended to do most things on the PC then transfer it to the Tx simply because it was easier with a big screen and a mouse etc. But with the Horus, I hardly ever use the PC at all. I do all my model setup directly on the Tx because the big colour screen and button layout works so well.

That’s good to know that’s it’s sll adjustable on site, seems there’s way more drone users than fixed wing so not many set up vids for planes on YouTube, I’m not 100% sure if you use the same system on both radios?