Refinishing classic fibreglass fuselages

Advert

I've got a thread on the BARCS website on restoring a MPX Flamingo Contest.

There are before and after photos. I used Rustoleum 'Painters Touch' white which I'm fairly sure is an enamel. Gave a nice finish with no undercoat. Think I bought it in Homebase or B&Q.

Can't report how durable it is as I've not been able to fly it since the restoration.

I have an MPX ASW22, DG600 and Fiesta, all unrestored but flyers.

Sprayed a Teakle Vega with Flair Spectrum/Spectra which was disappointing, could have been a bad batch or my technique.

Cheers

Gary

I have a Fiesta that was restored before I got it, done properly using car paints to a very high standard.

I've also restored a Pat Teakle HP18 fuselage, again using automotive paints with compressor and spray gun and while not as good as the Fiesta, Iwas quite pleased with the results (after today I'm going to have to do it again but that's another story!)

BTW a friend has just had an old 1970s motorbike fairing resprayed by somebody who does old bikes, very impressive and being fibreglass might be worth checking for similar near you.

There is a " Two Pack "Special spray can available but I don't know what it's called but a Google might find it.Here it is---https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=two+pack+spray+cans&oq=Tewo+pack+spray+can&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.43611j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited By onetenor on 29/07/2018 05:30:57

Two pack paints are excellent and give good tough finish and can also have an flexible additive mixed in to allow the fuselage to flex without cracking the paint. Beware though as they are heavy so prep will have to be really good as you only need apply a thin coat. If using a car body shop to spray your fus' make sure the sprayer knows to keep the coat and any prep coats thin. Good results can be obtained with some of the cheapo rattle cans but not as durable as the two pack. Two pack cans only last a few days once used so don't buy until your ready to spray all you need and wear suitable breathing gear .

30 years ago I lost a Heim Bell 222 at a Morley fly in (radio ) . The epoxy fuselage was a mess ! I rebuilt it using laminating epoxy and filler . I knew a good car sprayer who blew it over with primer so I could fix any imperfections and then he gave it a couple of white coats , cellulose then I spose ! It looked fine ! I couldn't have sprayed it as well for about £30 , if I remember !

Then I sold it as it broke my heart ! Colin

Try this ----https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=humbrol+spray+paint&oq=Humbrol+spray&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.33578j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8--- The finish is excellent as I think it is enamel and the varnish adds extra sparkle and shine. I think they are fuel proof too.

• 2 weeks later...