Stabilisation

I went for the separate gyro route having run out of channels on the AS3X. First tried the HobbyKing unit but that failed on me on the first flight. Second went for the Multiplex Multigyro G3 unit. More expensive and you have to work through the poor german/english translation but it does work. Had no problems flying and landings are lovely. The Rx I'm using is the Spektrum AR8000 in a Nijhuis A400. I did have the advantage of space in the fuse though. Definitely recommend the Multiple unit.

Advert

Well, Tom, I can do that, even in full size, if I set heading hold, it'll do just that.

No doubt the modes were too complicated for this flyer.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 20/08/2018 17:40:29:

I saw a plane recently fitted with the full stabilization gubbins, it flew determinedly into the tallest tree around, despite the efforts of the pilot to divert it.

The Hobbyking unit: Eagletree Guardian as in discussion here?

>Posted by Nik Harrison on 20/08/2018 18:43:03:

I went for the separate gyro route having run out of channels on the AS3X. First tried the HobbyKing unit but that failed on me on the first flight. Second went for the Multiplex Multigyro G3 unit. More expensive and you have to work through the poor german/english translation but it does work. Had no problems flying and landings are lovely. The Rx I'm using is the Spektrum AR8000 in a Nijhuis A400. I did have the advantage of space in the fuse though. Definitely recommend the Multiple unit.

Interesting, hadn't considered Multiplex

Posted by Percy Verance on 20/08/2018 19:27:41:

Another vote here for the Multiplex G3 yes I think it's cheaper than the Eagle job mentioned earlier. I paid £40 odd quid for mine about 18 months back. Probably a bit more now.

Tom. I wonder why the pilot didn't simply switch the stabiliser out and fly away from the tree? That's assuming the unit he was using was on/off switchable from the tx? The Mpx G3 certainly is......

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/08/2018 19:31:13

Thank you all.

I've ordered an Eagletree Guardian from Hobbyking. I'll test it out on a stable trainer after spending time making sure that I understand how to set it up and the modes.

Also picked up a 9 channel Spektrum receiver second hand, so when satisfied, migrate the Gaurdian to another plane, and the 9 channel gives me headroom for future growth.

Excellent help all.

Robin

Posted by cymaz on 18/08/2018 05:43:02:

I have one of THESE as separate from the Rx . Works well

Mmm, I always thought these were cheating! However, I reported a problem that I have in another thread, landing on the slope that is my flying sight. It is very difficult to land smoothly and I often break the u/c.

Presumably, this would help my landings on the slope? Also, being on a slope, I can get a lot of turbulence, etc, would this help minimise the effects when landing?

This may be the answer....yes

Edited By Rich too on 23/08/2018 12:46:24

Pretty sure it's OK, as he'd also got a further 8 channel expansion module, and he sounded OK

Posted by Steve J on 23/08/2018 12:27:48:

Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 23/08/2018 12:24:10:

Also picked up a 9 channel Spektrum receiver second hand

Be very careful with second hand Spektrum receivers. There are a lot of counterfeits around.

Steve

The other one to consider would be the Multiplex Wingstabi, this has fully map-able input and output channels, so you could get a 7 channel unit and put dual ailerons, dual flaps, rudder, elevator and throttle on it, Then for inputs you'd have aileron, flap, rudder, elevator, throttle and gyro phases (2 channels if you want to use all 4 gyro phases) and gyro gains (up to 3 channels if you want to adjust the axis gains separately) Note that all the units have 16 (18 if using S-Bus) inputs and the 7,9,12 and 16 refers to the number of outputs. You can set aileron differential and flap/elevator compensation on the unit.

You'd need to check though which Spektrum Rx has the serial port that is compatible with the Wingstabi.

Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 23/08/2018 12:24:10:

Thank you all.

I've ordered an Eagletree Guardian from Hobbyking. I'll test it out on a stable trainer after spending time making sure that I understand how to set it up and the modes.

Also picked up a 9 channel Spektrum receiver second hand, so when satisfied, migrate the Gaurdian to another plane, and the 9 channel gives me headroom for future growth.

Excellent help all.

Robin

Good choice. Make sure you read the new user guide I gave the link for. Also, there is a help group here:

**LINK**

Check and double check you control corrections are going the correct way.

Set you level flight attitude before the first flight - making sure to have the wing at a good positive angle of attack when doing so.

Then enjoy.

You can program the flight modes however you want. I have mine of a 3 position switch as follows:

Pos 0 - 2D mode (for take off/landing in foul weather)

Pos 1 - 3D mode (default position for most flights)

Pos 2 - 3D heading hold mode (for showing off and making myself look like a 3D pilot on suitable models)

I also have master gain on a rotary knob. Turning the master gain to zero will effectively turn the unit off if required.

PS - the plastic case (sleeve) it comes in is rubbish. I cut mine off and mount direct to a suitable tray.

Edited By Jason Inskip on 23/08/2018 14:00:23

Mmm, I always thought these were cheating! However, I reported a problem that I have in another thread, landing on the slope that is my flying sight. It is very difficult to land smoothly and I often break the u/c.

Presumably, this would help my landings on the slope? Also, being on a slope, I can get a lot of turbulence, etc, would this help minimise the effects when landing?

I flew a 1.6m plane equipped with a guardian off the slope a few weeks ago (my first time sloping). Wind speed on the slope was 45mph. Did it help? Absolutely!

Also, my normal flying site is often windy, and always turbulent - the guardian is excellent at ironing all this out.

Posted by Jason Inskip on 23/08/2018 14:05:59:

I flew a 1.6m plane equipped with a guardian off the slope a few weeks ago (my first time sloping). Wind speed on the slope was 45mph. Did it help? Absolutely!

Also, my normal flying site is often windy, and always turbulent - the guardian is excellent at ironing all this out.

That’s good to know. I’ve now ordered one and looking forward to trying it....

Posted by Don Fry on 26/08/2018 14:36:09:

Anyone know if the Eagletree Guardian unit supports 2 channels for ailerons, or does it just support single channel Y lead setups?

Supports dual aileron. You can also program differential aileron/crow/flaperons in your radio too without effecting stabilisation.

Thank you gentlemen. I've been toying with the concept, but being very old school, ignorant of the technology, it's seemed a learning curve too far to be bothered about. But given the Eagletree unit has fans, good instructions, and known climbers of the leaning curve, I might just invest in one.

For lean, read learn

Edited By Don Fry on 26/08/2018 17:31:34

Another test yesterday. Now trims reset and level attitude. 3D feels very odd, 2D very effective as soon as sticks centred, but even with gain up max, buffeting not really countered.

Test touch and go's: with 2D engaged, set up on heading for approach, and use throttle for height control. Seemed very effective. Repeated with unit disengaged, just as good. So not conclusive.

Not sure about this as yet, but persevere, as it's really a 'get out of trouble' for more tricky scale stuff rather than a simple trainer.