RX choice for DX6i

Gavin Livsey

Guys,

Looking for your views please. I'm a dyed in the wool Futaba man but find myself with a TX with a full memory. A few years ago I bought a DX6i so that I could buddy a pupil who had bought one of the RTF Cub trainers. The cheapest way of getting more models in the air is to buy some receivers to suit this but the choice from Spektrum seems very limited. Orange seems to be the way to go but the choice of receivers seems a little baffling. All I need are some full range RX's up to 6 ch and maybe some for park flyer type models. I've read that some Orange RX's won't work with the DX6i.

What would you suggest, preferably from first hand experience?

MTIA

Advert

Take a look on hobbyking orange full range rx 6 channel and 8 channel sure the write up says that they are compatible to dsm2 and dsmx . You can add satellite if you want but I don't bother unless it's one of my larger models, have about 4 of these now I used dx8 transmitter. Take a look see what you think, rapid models also sell them.

Paul.

Up to 4 channel use spektrum receivers.

I am using 6 channel lemon receivers in a couple of electric gliders and providing you hot glue the micro din aerial leads onto the sockets they work fine.

I had a problem with hobbyking orange receivers, even though it was within the stated voltage range I fried 2 by connecting them to a 2 s lipo.

Paul/Colin,

Thanks.

Box says that it's DSM2/DSMX. I'd already looked at the Rapid website and they seem to be sold out of most of the popular ones. I'd also looked at HobbyKing but the website is so hopelessly slow these days, and keeps changing warehouse that I've just about given up with them for good.

I'll take a look at Lemon.

Or a genuine ar400 spektrum rx dsm2 and dsmx compatible for about £25 ish , I have 3 of these and work fine. You are going to end up tossing a coin with all the varying good advise you are going to get here, there are no right or wrong advise here its all about personal preference. wink

Paul.

Going back to the OP. It's amazing how much rubbish one hears and reads...

For the last six years I've used exclusively a DX6i and a DX6, always with Orange receivers, and I've done a lot of flying. I've never used a satellite, just the basic setup. I've never had the slightest problem and I obviously don't intend to change brands.

The only thought process required is that you have to differentiate between "park flyer" receivers and "full range" receivers. I use both without problem. Basically, if the description doesn't specifically state "full range", then assume that it's "park flyer"...

More personal experience:

Branded RX's, AR400, AR610, AR6210, all absolutely no problems * all flown to limit of useful eyesight range.

Orange R615X, this is the DSMX "full range, stub aerials" 6 channel, no problems. The "long aerial" version is identical but the aerials are at the end of a bit of coax. Lots of Orange in use at my club - no issues that I am aware of. I believe the Orange/ DX6i thing was the older DSM2 Orange kit.

Copy / fake / fell-out-the-back-of-the-warehouse-after-hours (Ebay, £10) AR6210 used in a 1lb foamie, no problems **.

Personally, I would use genuine kit for anything I cared about. And Orange for anything foamie or park flyer types.

* I have had one glitch over the past several years, on a 6210 with satellite where I managed to bind only the main receiver and not the satellite thus removing half the aerials from the picture - definitely user error. When used right, no problems with any of them.

** I wouldn't use it in anything remotely valuable or that flew at any distance. However with 120 flights on it, it has worked perfectly in practice. Lots of fakes are not this good though. Given the price of Orange / Lemon RX I wouldn't bother with any copies.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 27/08/2018 19:30:10:

+1 for Lemon rxs

DSMX 6 channel with diversity antenna just $12.25. Postage is reasonable too.

If you are really worried about range you can get a satellite Rx included for just a bit more but I find the basic with my DX6i will go as far as I ever want to go.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 27/08/2018 19:32:54

Also available from a UK source here: **LINK**

I use the Stab+ on a couple of foam models (just to calm them down in the wind) and no problems to report.

Kim