Two questions

Bruce Collinson

Right then.

Q1. All my LiPos and ESCs are on Deans. I'm contemplating swapping them all to XT 60 after losing a bruising battle with a 5S pre-tinned LiPo and a soldering iron (yes I did cut the tinned length off first). These ok with 5S 5000mAh? Do they need a sparky suppressor thingy? When answering, bear in mind that the LiPos are used in different planes, some of which would struggle with XT 90s.

Q2. What's the elegant way of carting the spare prop collection to the field and back? Considered and rejected 4" fallpipe with caps; can't find a Really Useful box which is long enough, say 17", without being too fat.

I look forward to answers!

BTC

Bruce
That's 3 questions wink

I might be able to help with the last.
Stitch two layers of baize (or similar) together making as many pockets as you need spare props. Insert your spares and then roll up and secure with a ribbon or something like.
This method is used to protect posh cutlery from getting scratched in storage.
Extra protection if required could be to wrap with cling film.

Levanter

L,

There are three types of accountants, those who can add up and those who can't. If you laid all the economists in the world end to end, they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.

Etc. Arguably, four questions.

Like a joiner's bit storage roll? Great idea! Now, where's the wife's sewing machine? Where's the wife?

Many thanks!

BTC

As to the XT60 question, I use them with a 6S 5000 and while you do get a spark I've yet to see any erosion or scorching on the contacts. They should be good for at least 60A afaik.

I like the idea of a prop roll, like the tool rolls of old. I'm still using my flight box with the props standing up in one end but this does cause issues when loading and transporting models in the car. Not with the props getting damaged but with the exposed tips occasionally popping through the covering of a wing if a model slips under breaking.

For our purposes connectors are generally classified by current-carrying capability -- voltage is not really an issue within the range we generally use. The only way I can think that battery size affects your choice of connector is the thickness of the leads the manufacturers put on them; some of them in my opinion are ridiculously thick and are difficult to fit into the bullet connectors of the popular XT60 plug, let alone a Deans Ultra. I use Deans in all my models, and with some thick battery leads I tin them first and then use my Dremel to cut a slot in the soldered end so that it fits neatly over the Deans terminal before soldering.

As for spark suppression, this is dependent on battery voltage, not current. I don't use any in my 6S setups, but do when I'm using 12S.

Hi Bruce,

1. For success with your Deans, get a 50 watt+ soldering iron with a LARGE bit, so that there is a lot of heat massed up ready to transfer to the joint. Most problems with this sort of soldering comes from a heat store that is too small to get the whole joint quickly up to temperature, thus causing dry joints and multiple swear words.

2. I find that the cardboard boxes that single malt whisky bottles are packed in are ideal for carrying props around. If you experiment with lots of single malts, you will find some that are close enough dimensionally for one to slide comfortably into the other, thus forming a telescopic holder for larger props. Another of those cases where the journey can be just as good as the arrival!

crook

Steve.

Edited By Steve Dunne on 31/08/2018 12:55:46